7 week old kittens being stinkers about litter box

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 7 week old kittens being stinkers about litter box

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JazzC
    Participant

So my cat Chloe had her first and only litter of kittens on July 19th, which makes them almost 8 weeks old. I bought one of those cheap 2 dollar litter pans at Wal Mart that are sized just for kittens, and I got them litter made out of corn grain so that they wouldn’t get sick if they ate a little. I introduced them to the litter box right around 5 weeks old, so it’s going on 3 weeks that they’ve been exposed to the idea. Out of the 4 of them, only one of them seemed to just ‘get it.’ It instantly seemed to click for him, and he has been using it ever since the first time I put him in there with no accidents. The other 3, however, are being problematic. They will use the litterbox with no issues at all as long as a I place them in there every couple of hours. They won’t get in there of their own accord though, and I don’t understand why. The box is perfect for their size, so it’s not as if they can’t get in and out because its too big. At night I put them in the bathroom with their litter pan and some food and water, and yet all 3 of the troublemakers will literally hold it all night until I put them in the box in the morning before they go. They don’t have any accidents at night, I think maybe because the bathroom is tile and they don’t want to mess on the tile. But during the day, when they are around the carpeted areas of my house, if I take too long to put them in the box they will have accidents. It’s really frustrating because I can’t see the reason why they won’t go in themselves. Obviously they understand the fact that they are supposed to be going to the bathroom in there, but except for the one I mentioned they don’t understand that they need to get in and out by themselves.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here?

I don’t have any advice but I know some will come your way. It’s slower here on the weekends. I do know cats don’t like their food to be near their box so that might be part of the issue at night when they are in the bathroom, but then again if there is good distance it might not. I know some folks have mentioned “cat attract” so you might want to try that. Good luck!

JazzC
    Participant

I’ve heard that too, that you have to keep the food/water away from the box so I put it on the opposite end of the bathroom. I don’t think that would be the problem, and like I said it’s during the day too and the food/water is definitely not anywhere near the box during the day. I think I’ll look for that Cat Attract stuff tomorrow and see if that helps any.

Anyone have any ideas for Jazzc?

ailuromaniac
    Participant

Maybe a “kitten size” box is too small. Try a larger cardboard tray ( you can line the outside with plastic and just toss the whole thing). I found the trays for cases of 5-6 ounce cat food cans to be ideal. You can also put several around the house. When my girls were small, I had a couple scattered about and slowly moved them closer to the main toilet until they simply chose to go to the mechanical one that kept scooped and ready for visits on its own.

JazzC
    Participant

I don’t think the box is really too small, I would honestly say it is the perfect size for them right now. They should be able to get in and out with ease, yet they have plenty of room to dig and turn around and all that. I bought Kitten Attract litter today, so we will see how this goes. They definitely seem interested in it, I put them all in there one at a time to let them sniff the new smells, and they all seemed pretty intrigued. As of this reply I still haven’t seen any jumping in by themselves though… Fingers crossed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.