15 week old kitty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mrs…Keef
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m new to this so please bear with…
    I have a 15 week old kitten that is really naughty – chewing wires, climbing curtains etc and doesn’t seem to respond to us telling her off. She also is in the habit of waking us up at 3am / 4am which is really not appreciated lol!
    My husband is really starting to get annoyed and her behaviour is starting to cause arguments between us (I understand she’s still a baby as such and he doesn’t grasp the fact shes so naughty and doesn’t listen!).
    However, back to the point of the post – I’m really hoping you lovely lot could share some tips of how to discourage her naughty behaviour please, please…PLEASE! 🙁

katzenjammer
    Participant

Hi Katie,

Other TDKers should have further advice. You vet or vet tech might be able to provide some tips on interactive play and learning the warning signs when kitty is getting into attack mode and what to do as a telling off might not help. Vet check-up might be a plan anyway.

I have had a cat behaviourist come to my place for a session to see how I interact with my kit. He provided some good help.

Hope you find some ways to “make peace” with your kit.

Mrs…Keef
    Participant

Thank you @katzenjammer.
    I did tell my vet when we went for her first vaccine and she said shes just exploring…there’s exploring and then there’s just being a nightmare!
    We constantly play when I get home from work to use her energy up and make sure she’ll sleep through the night and leave toys and scratch posts in the area she sleeps just in case she gets bored…
    I really do hope that I can get help with the discipline techniques as that may calm her somewhat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mrs….Keef,

Welcome to TDKland. We’re the furriest forum around.

The two things that most cats don’t like is sticky paws and citrus. So get some double-sided tape and put that on hard surfaces like wires and curtains. Use the peels from Oranges, Lemons and/or Lime in small, tip proof containers around the house.

If you don’t already have a cat tree, get one for her. This will give her an outlet for her scratching behavior.

She wakes you up in the early morning because you get up. To her has become a game. Since your husband is not happy the best solution for a restful night’s sleep is to shut your cat out of your room at night. For the first few nights you may have a sad kitty meowing and clawing at the door, but eventually she should stop, as long as you ignore her behavior and don’t get up and let her in to your room in the middle of the night.

Good Luck
    PG

Mrs…Keef
    Participant

Hey PG!

Thanks I will try the citrus thing and see how that works. She has cat trees…2 of them and lots of other toys that keeps her very occupied. We don’t have her sleeping in the room with us but have her in the hallway at night time and she has food before bed and water and dry food in the hallway for through the night.
    I don’t know what else I can do? Any help will defo be appreciated! So thank you very much indeed! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.