9/11 Remembrance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    katzenjammer
    Participant

Most likely no one will ever forget where they were on the morning of September 11, 2001, when they heard of the attacks on the twin World Trade Towers in NYC and the Pentagon in Washington. A horrible and tragic day forever in our memories.
    This day also touched and changed forever, the lives of each and every American. People the world over also shared in the unfathomable grief and loss.
    On the anniversary of 9/11, let’s take a few minutes to reflect upon this event, and pray for the victims who died, their families and friends.

JerseyJoan

I didn’t see anything on tv till late in the day. Ashes drifted over the Hudson to the Jersey side. I’ll never for forget the deafening silence of the lack of aircraft in the sky, for I spent most of the day outside. The sky was so blue. I knew 2 people who died that day. Also, one of the “let’s roll” guys was from where I live now. There is a beautiful hiking trail through the mountains in his name.
    I’ll be taking a few time outs to pay my respects in silence.

katzenjammer
    Participant

I didn’t know anyone who died on that horrifying day although a Montreal couple were among the victims. I was working in an American based publishing company back then and one of the designers was watching news on his ‘puter the moment it happened. Most of us went to his screen and watched the reports and replay, stunned. We were let out early and streets were filled with peeps watching news on TVs in windows of electronics stores. Then spent the next few days with TV tuned to news channels. Unimaginable. Will be taking some time tomorrow, too.

Buttons

I’ll never forget that day as long as I live! Trying to contact my cousin who worked in the financial district .. Thank god he was safe!! Also an old school friend on holiday had made plans to go to the top of one of the towers that morning but his alarm didn’t go off that morning !

Kittyzee
    Participant

I will never forget it either. My first granddaughter was only 6 wks. old and I was to take her for her first checkup. Called a friend to go with me and as I stood by the kitchen tv, watched as the second plane went into the tower. I didn’t know what I was seeing, until looking down at the bottom of the screen and it said “live”. Everything went into slow motion from there. People seemed disoriented at the doctor’s office, people driving weren’t paying attention, everything seemed suspended and unreal. No sound from the skies, as Joan said, things were eerily quiet. I was so thankful to get back home. I held and rocked that child that day, more of a comfort to me than to her and watched as our world changed forever.

ecbrown
    Participant

I’ve shared this before, but I was teaching a reading group in my first grade classroom when my principal came in from my right and whispered in my ear what was happening. I guess he delivered the news to everyone in person. I was so amazed when I later saw photos of president Bush receiving the news. He was visiting a classroom, observing a reading group, seated in front of the group near the teacher. His aid came in and whispered from his right to tell him what was happening. It was striking how similar the physical arrangement of the classroom and reading group was. Pretty sure it was the same reading program I was using.

Today I’m kind of angry as I think of how amazingly successful (in their eyes) the plot was. Two tall towers taken down in a couple of hours time. They must have been pretty pleased with themselves. Glad the actual perpetrators never knew how successful they were. And amazed, of course, at the heroism of the “lets roll” folks who prevented more tragedy. We were just telling our kids about them.

katzenjammer
    Participant

Agree ECB – those “let’s roll” folks – true heroes. Also recall a concert of major groups sometime after the event, especially for FDNY and those who tried so hard to save as many lives as possible, some sacrificing their own in the effort. Roger Daltrey of The Who spoke to the crowd “I could never have done what you did!”. Wild cheers. Then they segued into “Baba O’Reilly” with the crowd of rescuers, wearing their uniforms, some holding photos of lost colleagues and loved ones, on their feet, tears streaming down yet clapping and singing along. Now I always get chills when I hear this song.

Jeankit
    Participant

Wow, time has passes but will always remember that fateful day.
    (As many people, I was getting ready for another work day…)
    Here are few furry purry tributes:
    Patriotic cat says meow
    God Bless America
    Patriotic kittens in flag socks
    Not making light of it…just soothing as a kit/cats purr!

Jeankit
    Participant

Borrowed these from WWM – Betty/TDK FB:
    911 ground zero remembrance
    911 Remembrance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.