911 call taker found guilty of ignoring boy’s call

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 911 call taker found guilty of ignoring boy’s call

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

MaxandCali’sMom
    Participant

This was so very sad–that poor child. I’ve been following it because it’s so close to me here in Michigan. The operator said that she “couldn’t undertand the boy” and that “the connections was bad”-but the jury saw through that right away. No matter what, she should have sent a police car immediately, not make the choice to just hang up on the child. Her punishment may ONLY be ONE YEAR in jail!!

Karenopa
    Participant

That’s frightening…I can’t imagine why this person didn’t jump on sending an officer to the scene…especially if she COULDN’T understand the boy on the phone. Especially as she was apparently a veteran to this criteria. Better to be safe than sorry. So sad. That poor boy lost his mommy.

yankee
    Participant

Unfortunately, 911 does goet prank calls and they do have to make hard decisions, but in this case it is unlikely that a 5 year old would be making a prank call and a police car should have been sent out. The odds are she got the maximum for a misdemeanor. Let’s keep in mind that a lot of people call 911 when it is not an emergency and those calls need to be fielded as well as the calls that really are emergencies. I feel sorry for everyone involved. Unless you have worked on the phone you don’t know how difficult it is.

Once, when I was working as an “operator” I got a call from an 11 year old, it was his birthday and his grandmother had fallen and wouldn’t wake up. My supervisor managed to call the police in the town and I kept him on the phone until she had the police and told them the situation. They got the address by doing a reverse check. I had to then hangup because the police were going to call the child. What happened I don’t know. But sometimes you do have to make snap decisions and just pray that you made the right one.

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

I agree with yankee, the pressures must be enormous. I think a jail sentence is a bit over the top, I assume she’s already lost her job, and she’s hardly a danger to the general public at large. If prison overcrowding is as big a problem in the USA as it is in the UK, then some other form of sentence should be considered.

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

Having worked as an 911 operator for 9 years and with 15 years experience as a law enforcement dispatcher, I can say that when any call received especially from a child or someone you couldn’t understand, an officer was sent out immediately to ‘check welfare’. Currently I work with other dispatchers from around the U.S. and personally 3 on my shift alone, we all said the same thing when I found this story last night. Calling a child or anyone who isn’t easily understood can’t ever be better than a personal check on the situation. Jail may not be the solution but their agency needs to relook at their responses to situations of that and other types.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.