9 week old kittens~flea infestation

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 9 week old kittens~flea infestation

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chelley
    Participant

what can i get thats cheep, fast acting and effective to get rid of the fleas for my 1 yr old pitbull, and 3 9 week old kittens and my carpet/furnature. i cant stand to see them suffer anymore from these little paracites. i am finding them in my bedroom, my living room, hallways, etc. my husband and i are even getting bit up. ive been trying everything natural to get rid of them safely because i had 2 newborn kittens but they died 2 days ago so now would like to know whats cheap and safe to use on my 9 week old kittys please help!

Chaos
    Participant

Diatomaceous earth can help. Spread it on your carpet and leave it there for a little while and vacuum it up. For your pitbull you can put a drop or two of citronella oil. For the cats you can only really use diatomaceous earth. Just make sure they don’t breathe it in.

Jeankit
    Participant
    chelley
    Participant

how do i use the DE? for my carpets and furnature?

Chaos
    Participant

Well, apparently you can put it on your hands and pet the cats back and fourth. For carpets and furniture, put it on the affected areas and leave it for an hour or so, then vacuum it up. Make sure they don’t breathe it in. You can find it at garden supply stores. Get food grade, not pool grade.

chelley
    Participant

for the carpets tho. how long should i leave it down before vaccuming up

jcat
    Participant

Two weeks, Chelley, but that will keep them away for a LONG time. I answered more fully on your other posting.

chelley
    Participant

thanks

TygerandLilly
    Participant

Diatomaceous earth may be cheap but if you have that bad of an infestation it won’t do much. Also it will plug up your vacuum when trying to get it up. Been there, done that. Best is to buy some spot on flea medicine and flea bomb the house. The only thing that worked for us last year when we got fleas was to treat the cats with Advantage II and had to bomb the house three times.

Jeankit
    Participant

You can put a flea collar in vacuum cleaner bag to kill bugs as clean up.
    New Dawn dish detergent is great for bathing kits, ridding of fleas.
    You can get non toxic flea meds at pet store but need to be diligent in use more often.
    Over the counter non toxic flea spray/bedding spray is also an option.

devaugn carlo
    Participant

That is the same as with me. And rough surfaces of walls and doors is a hiding place of fleas and I found out that they seems to live for almost year without eating anything and they just seems to be hibernated to a undisturbed place. From then we first treated the pets (dogs and cats) and uses several anti flea solution, we did that regularly to prevent the source zone as a breeding field of fleas. Then we refined our rough walls and repainted with glossy paint. The wood doors were replaced with fiber glass type which I recently got from http://caldwells.com/exterior-doors, a local furniture shop along Bay Area in San Francisco. From then, we totally eliminated the fleas, and there is nos signs of them at all, but we still treat our pets with anti-flea solutions so they still be protected. FYI- fleas mostly came from nowhere or even from a dust.. so if you think your pets don’t have it, flea eggs are just hiding specially if you do nothing.

jcat
    Participant

Yes, unfortunately fleas and flea eggs can hibernate, especially in carpet, for up to seven years (!) and then, when they feel vibrations, like a person walking across the floor, they spring into life again. For more advice on ways that people have found to deal with them, click the pink tag ‘fleas’.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.