9 day old kitten with EXTREME constipation!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 9 day old kitten with EXTREME constipation!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MrsCatbug
    Participant

Heres a little back story, these kittens were born to a mom who is less than a year old (she is a stray). The momma left without a trace and I took in this little guy and his brother. Unfortunately his brohter had passed to KFS (I didn’t catch it in time, I am brand new to this and I tried my very very best). This little guy has been thriving since day 1, he is eating powdered KMR formula (was on 1:2 ratio but now on 1:3 to try and help constipation). For the past 2-3 days he has hardly had any BM if he does its a tiny little pebble that feels hard as a rock. Today he was trying to pass his stool and is now crying, I’ve been watering down his formula, putting in olive oil, running his bum under warm water.His stool appears to peek out of his bum but he can’t seem to push it all the way out, it also looks like his little bum is going to tear if he keeps pushing. I’m so scared to lose this little one too. What else can I do for him? I tried to gently do the triangle method and he screamed so I stopped immediately. Please help 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mrs. Catbug,

I’m sorry your little guy passed away. Not every kit is for our world.

You need to get you other kit to the vet because he needs a enema. Once he’s had a BM, I recommend you start with Goats milk. Some vets. don’t know about Goats’ milk but here in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite. If, at any time, they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth. Also, a smidgen of mineral oil in their formula can usually help them poop. You can put a dab of Neosporin on his bum if he gets sore. He needs to poop but he doesn’t know how to do it on his own.

You’re not doing anything wrong. Some kits don’t have productive BMs and once that starts they usually need a enema to help them. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!

Good Luck and keep in touch,
    PG

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.