8 month old kitten biting…..

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 8 month old kitten biting…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krista
    Participant

hi there! We have an adorable 8 month old kitten Noonan that we took in as a stray. Many have mentioned that he is probably a Maine Coon mix. He was incredibly cuddly when we first got him around 5 months. He is very energetic and loves to play. In last2 months or so he has really started biting us a lot. Hands, feet sometimes face. Never draws blood but often hurts us. I’ve read a lot about playful aggression and have tried the basics, no hands and feet play, firm “no bite” and leaving room, water bottle, misdirection with toys but still seems to be getting worse. He never hisses or raises his fur. At times he’s still a cuddle but will then randomly bite even when not playing. Such a sweet boy, follows me around the house, loves to be near us, loves the lap, fetches! Any other suggestions???? Help please……and yes, I know he’d do well to have a buddy but I had to fight my husband hard to keep him so another is not an option. Also he has been neutered. Thanks in advance!!!

JerseyJoan

Hi Krista – you’ve already addressed two of my first thoughts, he’s neutered and you know not to use your hands as toys. Does he just bite out of the blue or does he bite during play or petting? If it’s the latter, it is his way of saying ‘enough’. At that point, you can go with a more gentle approach to play and/or petting. If it’s the former, just know that kittens in general have seemingly endless energy, and he will calm down in time. Also, neutering doesn’t change his temperament right away, it can take some time for his hormones to adjust. As a side note, I’m not a fan of the water bottle, as he may come to associate you with bad, as opposed to bad behavior. Speak to him in a calm, soft voice associated with gentle play, and hopefully the biting will ease up. Of course, until you get to that point, a firm ‘no!’ followed by gentle talk and behavior, is in order.
    Good luck!

JerseyJoan

Oh and Noonan is a cool name! (Caddyshack?)
    Love those Maine Coons – I was owned by one and he was my soulmate. 🙂

Buttons

Joan has it covered on advice there 🙂 Water bottles are fine if your trying to move a stray or troublesome cat from your property if it’s upsetting your cans but I would never use it in training your own cat as Joan mentioned it only makes your cat associate you with the water and will probably have a negative effect on your relationship with him.. his aggression does sound like its play aggression some of the time (I’ve also had Main Coon Mixes and they can have busts of play energy most people around here call Zoomies 😆 ) But I think as Joan picked up on your mainly dealing with over stimulation aggression I’ve had to deal with this too.. a cat maybe rollin on his belly or even jump
    in your lap and you think “oh he wants lots of cuddles now cause he came to me” but it doesn’t always work that way and as hard as it is sometimes you have to give one pet watch for the tail twitching aggressively and if you see that then stop .. also if your petting and he’s on your lap put him down if you see he’s about to or is in a “hyper” mood or walk away if he gets hyper . he will grow out of it and if neutered after the 6 month age gap it can take 2 months or more for the hormones to settle back down ..

Krista
    Participant

Thank you both for the suggestions Jersey Joan and Buttons! It’s hard to tell but I think it’s playful aggression. Since he was a stray I have no idea if he was taken from his litter too early or if original owners were aggressive playing with him. It just does seem that he’s been getting worse in last couple months. I can just be sitting and he’ll come over and start gnawing on me, doing dishes and he runs in jumps up to bite my butt and runs away. Kind of funny but when he gets that “crazy” look it’s kind of scary. I think he’s just crazy hyper and gets bored. We have a lot of toys, cat tree etc and try to keep him occupied. I’ll have to try time outs in another room too. I always say “no bite” and put him down or I leave the room but it’s tough because it’s constant. Zoomies is a good name for it, my husband calls him Flash because he’s silent, speedy and just appears. He’s also into EVERYTHING! Any crinkle of noise and he’s right there, favorite thing to do is fetch balled up pieces of paper. He’s playful and very sweet but we’ve just got to nip this biting thing! Any other suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks again!

Krista
    Participant

BTW Jersey Joan, Yes Noonan is a Caddyshack reference! The only way I could keep him is by letting my husband name him. I knew it would be something from Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles or sports related LOL!

JerseyJoan

I understand the crazy look! My late Taz was nuts for a long time, and she was taken from mom too young.
    Oh and if you can get hubby to agree to another kitty, he could name him Heddy Lamarr, I mean HEDLY Lamarr!

Krista
    Participant

That was on the list!!! 😆 😛 Wish I could convince him we need a buddy for Noonan because I think that’s really what he needs but sadly don’t think that’s going to happen……

JerseyJoan

Well, Taz was an only cat, and my brother has had a couple of generations of only cats. I think Noonan will be just fine. Taz was high strung all her life (she only lived to age 10), but the serious crazies calmed down.

Krista
    Participant

Fingers crossed! I would love to get him a buddy but I lost my two cats who were 17 back in January. It took a long time for hubby to warm up to them and they both were peeing outside the box for years. His only experience with cats so was hard to sell him on keeping Noonan so soon. I had promised 2 years pet free. Completely understandable…. at least Noonan uses his box so I’ve got that going for us! ????

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.