6 Week Old Kitten Weaning Questions

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6 Week Old Kitten Weaning Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Abigail
    Participant

I posted in here a while ago about my kitten who had diarrhea and now that that has been taken care of (she is on clavamox drops) I am working on weaning her. I waited because I didn’t really want to introduce new food while she still had diarrhea and make it worse. Currently I have been giving her a bottle in the morning and at night and she drinks around 40 ml each time give or take. During the day she had been eating Royal Canin Babycat wet food. She loves that and eats about 1/2 a can or more per day and she’ll even eat a little dry food (same brand) in it. My problem is that I cannot get her to lap the KMR or water. I’ve been trying for about two weeks now and she just doesn’t want to do it! I’ve tried to get her to lick my finger, a spoon, and even her paw to try to get her interested but she isn’t. I’ve even put a little on my finger and put it in her mouth to give her the taste but that only worked with the wet food.

So I guess I’m just wondering what to do here. According to the package the KMR says up to 6 weeks so does she even need that anymore? Should I wean her off that completely and not worry about her lapping it up? I’m just worried if I do that she won’t drink any water or won’t learn how to. If anyone can give me any advice that would be fantastic!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Of course she is eating solid food, but kittens sometimes aren’t fully weaned until they are 8 to 10 weeks old. Some just do not want to give up on the bottle. She will eventually learn to lap liquids, but she’s just not feeling it. Try switching over to goat’s milk, and add some to her food to make it a bit more moist. Then give her a small bowl of it beside her food. Or try giving her the KMR in a bowl first, then her food. I think it takes cats a while to figure water out. It’s hard for them to see, they like to bang their paws in it, then lick them. They usually stick their noses into it, then sneeze a bunch because it’s clear. You could also provide a small water fountain, to get her interested in something that makes a noise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Abigail,

I’m glad your wee girl is feeling better.

Kits ween at different ages but usually give up the bottle at 8-10 weeks. It’s good she’s eating a good quality wet food. As long as she’s eating wet food, she getting enough water, for now. You should goats milk. Many kits love it and it gives them the extra liquid in their diet. Put some in a saucer and see if she drinks it.

Goats milk is less expensive than KMR. Goats milk is in the dairy section (liquid) and the concentrate is in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water. It also has probiotics, nutrients and is easier on her tummy.

PG

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.