6 week old kitten puking and licking lips alot

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 6 week old kitten puking and licking lips alot

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Emily
    Participant

Hi my 6 week old kitten puked for the first time today and I am extremely nervous and worried, she’s been eating 4-5 times a day spaced out about 2-5 hours at a time and she only ate 3 times today and wouldn’t drink her KMR, her vomit was like unchewed pieces of her moist kitten food that she eats with like a clear looking liquid in it, she was heaving to get it up, she puked in her litter box while i was asleep but i woke up to her in my face and she puked again shortly after that so i think that counts as twice, Im so nervous I don’t know what’s wrong with her, she slept a lot today but i didn’t see anything wrong with that because she sleeps a ton on a normal day. she keeps licking her lips a lot and a few minutes ago she started meowing a lot and licking her lips even more and i got really scared and started giving her water and KMR and now she’s asleep again, what do i do???? Her eyes have been a little runny since i got her like 5 days ago too I don’t know what her last owner did or what she lived in but i’m so worried and i don’t know what to do. she’s only 6 weeks old she can’t possibly be trying to get a hairball out, i do have small clumping litter which she could’ve eaten and is trying to get it out but i have no idea. will she be okay? what should i do please help i don’t even want to go back to sleep because i’m afraid something will happen to her, i don’t have a vet either so i don’t know what to do, is this normal am i just freaking out over nothing? please help

Kittyzee
    Participant

You are right to be concerned. You need to get her to a vet ASAP. Kittens and even adult cats eat things that would seem impossible. She could have an obstruction in her esophagus or trachea by something she ate that she shouldn’t have. A vet can feel if there is an obstruction, or take an xray to see if there is something there. It might not be anything but an upset tummy, but if she is lethargic and acting strange, the vet is where she should go.

Emily
    Participant

Hello! Update: i took her to the vet where they weighed her (0.75lbs) and they guessed she was 4-5 weeks old.. so the guy I got her from definitely lied about her age and about how she was eating hard cat food. She tested negative for the feline leukaemia which is good, but im still extremely worried about her, i fed her about 4mL of kitten milk and she hasn’t thrown it up so that’s good. She still is sleeping a ton, they gave me a medicine called clavamox, they couldn’t give me any guarantee that should wouldn’t die, and they didn’t really answer those. i just want to know why shes puking

katzenjammer
    Participant

My suggestion would be that you call the vet again, explain how frightened you are and politely insist on getting answers to your concerns. I hope that this helps.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Clavamox is an antibiotic, but I don’t know what they are treating her for unless they think she has an infection of some type or an upper respiratory infection. I agree with KJ, you paid for the vet visit, they owe you the reason they put her on clavamox, and why they think she is vomiting. It could also be parasites, such as worms. It’s true, she’s weak and may not survive, but it won’t be for you not trying. Thank goodness she’s away from the previous owner who lied to you. She knows what a full tummy and a warm bed feels like now. I’m hoping you find some answers to your questions.

Emily
    Participant

Hi guys! Update: She’s doing super great compared to yesterday! We decided to take her off moist food and just stick to bottle feeding her KMR for a while to give her stomach a rest in case the moist food was too much for her little tummy, we think that she had never even eaten much cat food and had just been ripped away from mommas milk and it was too big a shock for the poor kitty, she ate probably 2 ounces of KMR yesterday, I’m worried that she’s going to dehydrate again even though the vomiting/dry heaving stopped, so should I be giving her water too or is the milk enough? Also should I stop feeding her milk at a certain amount or should I just let her pig out until she wants to stop? I’m pretty sure she knows how to pace herself because she won’t finish a whole 55mL (1.8 ounce) bottle in one sitting, she’ll eat about 2-4 mL every hour or so until it’s gone. I just don’t want her to be hungry so I’m kinda just doing whatever she wants and what I think she needs. But you guys know best, so let me know! I think my mother and I are going to call in to the vet later this afternoon and my mom will ask more questions that weren’t answered at the first appointment. I was a pretty worried cat mom all yesterday and even today too, but honestly she seems pretty amazing compared to how she was this time yesterday, she’s playing around with my hand and wrestling with shoe strings, she’s keeping her milk down, definitely not puking anymore. I’m 100% on the more paranoid side and am keeping a super duper close eye on everything to make sure she’s okay, she does keep meowing but it doesn’t seem like a painful meow I think I’ve just attached her meowing with her about to dry heave and it scares me everytime now. She does zone off and stare into the distance a lot more now and I’ve noticed she goes like a really long time without blinking last night so I don’t know what that’s all about. But most importantly it seems like the worst part is over! I don’t know what happened or why yesterday happened but I hope she can move past it all and be as healthy as ever, god knows my emotions can’t handle another yesterday lol. Thank you all so much for the advice and all, it means a lot, I’ll definitely keep everyone updated if you’d like.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yes, please keep us updated, we are all concerned about your little kitten. Since she may be younger than you thought, leaving her on milk, and giving her what she wants when she wants, is your best bet. You can introduce wet food to her when she acts like she is starving when you are getting ready to feed her. Just introducing a little at a time, even mixing it with milk. We recommend goat’s milk here as it doesn’t cause constipation or diarrhea like kitten formula. I know you are probably leary about trying it, given her background, so whatever you think is best. I’m going to post some kitten raising links for you that I have used many times over in the past raising kittens. They will answer most of your questions.
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

Emily
    Participant

KittyZee- Thank you! I was wondering if the liquid Hartz kitten milk replacement is good enough for her? I read quite a few reviews saying that you shouldn’t use it but they were all from like 2012 so I don’t know if that still stands, I don’t want to upset her stomach anymore, she has peed about 4 times today but no poop since around 4am yesterday, should I be worried? Or is it just going to be longer of a wait for her to poop now that she’s not eating anything but liquid? Her stomach keeps making pretty odd noises but other than that she seems pretty fine, I’m still super worried and paranoid though.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Emily,
    If you are wanting to use kitten formula, PetAg is a good one and you can get it from a farm store like TSC, and maybe a Rural King. I don’t recommend anything Hartz related as I have heard too many bad things about their products, especially in the flea medication area. The goat’s milk will not hurt her. In fact I switched over to it when I raised my last kitten as he was having stomach upset too. It seemed to calm him down and he quit spitting up. It has probiotics (good bugs) in it for their gut and helps with digestion.
    I am also going to post a link to pooping a kitten since most people have trouble getting them to go.

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Emily
    Participant

I’ll definitely look into the goats milk! We got some PetAg ‘milk replacer plus’ for kittens, will this work? It’s the powdered version. I think we might let her finish the liquid milk so it doesn’t waste and she seems to like it and I wouldn’t want to upset her tummy anymore than has happened in the past 24 hours. She hasn’t pooped since around 4 am yesterday still so that’s a little worrisome when she had been pooping 1-2 times a day with the moist food but i’m
    just hoping it’s taking a little longer because she’s just eating milk now and nothing is wrong with her, but Ill for sure try that triangle method if she doesn’t poop by tomorrow evening! I offered her a little bit of moist food today just to see if she would take it and she licked at it for a minute but definitely didn’t eat a lot of it at all. It is okay for her to be on just the milk right? I don’t want to be under feeding her. How much should she drink a day? Is there an amount where I should stop feeding her in a day? She’s still peeing good I can’t really tell what colour it is it looks pretty clear though. No stinky smells or anything. Anyway, sorry for blowing up this thread lol!! I’m a worrier as you can tell but I appreciate all of this so much

Emily
    Participant

Also! She doesn’t really meow a lot when she’s around other people, my parents + sisters, I keep her in my room to keep her safe and everyone comes to visit occasionally but when she gets close to me she starts meowing more? I don’t know if it’s because i’m the one who feeds her and she gets hungry or something when she smells me or if she doesn’t like me or something but I thought that was a weird thing I’m curious about. Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.