6 week old injured kitten can't pee/poop

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6 week old injured kitten can't pee/poop

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    K
    Participant

Hey all, first post here. I live in Florida and found a 6 week old kitten in the street in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, likely hit by a car. We went to an emergency vet at 4 am yesterday and found out he has a broken pelvis and can’t walk 🙁 at 1 lb, they said he’s much to small to operate, so we have him mostly confined to a large dog crate with a bed, litter pan, and water bowl. He doesn’t eat on his own so I’ve been syringe feeding, but my main concern is that he hasn’t used his litter box yet. He’s drank a lot of water and hasn’t even peed, I don’t think he’s done it anywhere besides his litter box because his movement is so limited I would’ve noticed. The vet says at this point it’s nature vs nurture to see if he pulls through. He’s the sweetest kitten and I want to do everything I can to save him. Anyone have any advice?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Oh no, the poor little thing! You could try stimulating him to pee–using a warm washcloth, gently rub his genitals and he will probably pee–just be careful of his pelvis. On pooping, turn him over so he’s faced down and rub his anus gently the same way and this might trigger him to poop. Who knows how much food he has had, so it may take longer for him to poop. You can make a gruel of wet food and formula and use a syringe to feed him..he has to get food or his sugar will lower and he will crash. I’ll post some links that might help you with food and with getting him to eliminate. The biggest problem you have is getting weight on him so he can have surgery, so you can even add pedialyte to his food too to help with hydration and electrolyte balance.

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Bottle Babies

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Thank you for saving this little soul, without you he had no chance at all!

K
    Participant

Thanks for the response! I’ve been mixing kitten formula with wet food and syringe feeding him. I tried using a warm wet washcloth to stimulate him but with no luck. I should mention that the vet said that the area around his anus was pretty swollen, though the swelling seems to have gone down a little, and he had a bit of blood crusting over the opening to his urethra.

Kittyzee
    Participant

If you can’t get pee out of him, could you call them and have them put in a catheter?

K
    Participant

Hi everyone. Sadly our sweet Ace has just passed away. We were laying together watching tv when he suddenly stuck his tongue out a bit and started making this choking sound with every breath. I called the emergency vet clinic as it is after hours, and they said all I could do is rush him down to them, but it’s a 30 minute drive and I knew he wouldn’t make it. He was looking me right in the eyes when his pupils got huge and he stopped breathing. I did CPR and mouth to mouth/nose — I got his heartbeat back for about a minute but no breath. Sadly he is now gone. I’m not sure what exactly happened in his final moments that killed him, but I do know that he died in my arms, surrounded by love and warmth and I’m just happy that I could’ve made his last few days a little bit better.

katzenjammer
    Participant

I’m so very sorry Jill. But as you say, he knew only love in his too-short life.

Kittyzee
    Participant

I am so sorry for the lost of little Ace. This is just heartbreaking. Please know that you could have done nothing more than you did, some little kittens are not meant to be here for very long–but they teach us so much in that short time. He knew that you loved him, he was safe and warm and fed. Thank you for all you did for him. 😥

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.