6-7 week old kitten having diarrhea

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6-7 week old kitten having diarrhea

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    Participant

I got a kitten yesterday. His name is Calithen and I really really love him. He’s around 6-7 weeks old ( the person I got him from wasn’t very clear about how old he is). He eats soft food and kitten milk. Since i brought him home yesterday, he’s been having diarrhea. His poop is runny, and brownish-yellow. Not sure if he’s been peeing, though. I am going to assume he is, as when I cleaned his litter box, there were 5 – 6 clumps and some were more spread out than others.
    I fed him Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish and Tuna this morning, and a few hours later, he had a poop and then puked up all the food he had eaten into his litter box, and then puked a very small amount onto one of his cat toys. About an hour later, I gave him some more food, but this time it was chicken. He will still play, eat, and drink his kitten milk. He will also still crawl up onto my shoulders, hide in my hair, and sleep.
    I’ve heard that when cats are stressed, they will have diarrhea. As I got him yesterday, I don’t except the diarrhea to go away for at least a couple more days as he probably still needs to adjust to his new home. As for the puking, I’ve assumed that whitefish and tuna just doesn’t agree with him. But, I want to be sure and see what everyone else thinks.
    Any advice is appreciated! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since you don’t know the exact age, I would err on the side of being younger. As you said, all the changes in his wee world have him a bit upset. Why don’t you start him on Goats’ milk? There is the liquid in the dairy aisle and the concentrate in the baking aisle. The formula is given at body temp, never cold. You give this to him in a bottle or in a dish. Cats are lactose intolerant and Goats’ milk is low in lactose. It should settle his tummy and give nutrients and probiotics. A vet. tech. friend of mine said some kittens don’t digest fishy food very well. Fancy Feast has kitten wet food so maybe you can give that to him.

Most kits like having a nest of his own. Purrhaps put a soft stuffed animal for company and you can give him a shirt of yours to sleep in/on. Also, kits don’t digest food when they’re cold. Place a heating pad on LOW, covered by a towel to keep him warm. Be sure he has a cool spot to crawl to if he get to warm. Most important of all, lots of lovings.

Here’s a couple of links on hand raising kittens:
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Good luck

PG

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Allison,

How is Calithen doing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.