5 weeks old Kitten might die … Please help !

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 5 weeks old Kitten might die … Please help !

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Kittyzee
    Participant

Sometimes when we have access to the internet, we get TOO MUCH information…. πŸ˜‰ Tiny, is just tiny. Maybe because he is genetically that way, or because of the setbacks that he had, or maybe both of those reasons. Or for maybe 10 other reasons. I don’t think think you need worry yourself about things that are out of your control. Nothing you did, including giving him pedialyte for human babies (which I and many others have done here) will cause any harm to him. It was necessary for his survival, to replace needed electrolytes when he was so sick AND it worked. It served it’s purpose. Yes, I used human baby pedialyte on my last kitten, put it in his milk and it helped him not become dehydrated. No ill affects. You are his parent, and it’s unfortunately now your job to worry about him through every stage he’s going through! I can’t see that he will have any problems because he had a rough patch. It’s not like he was malnourished, he was just sick and you took very good care of him to get him to this point. If you had not tried everything you did, he would not have survived. Lucky little guy, so many kittens do NOT make it through what he did. You mentioned when he was done eating, him jumping down and sniffing around…did you by chance get him a litter box? It sounds like he may be looking for a place to go, because kittens/cats do that when wanting to dig in litter to go to the bathroom. So glad he is feeling better and he will grow up to be the wonderful boy-cat he was meant to be, big or small! Keep us posted on him!

jcat
    Participant

I agree with KZ, you will worry yourself to death and then what will Tiny do πŸ˜‰ ? It is very, very hard to bring up abandoned kittens, the odds are always against them. You have done brilliantly, you got him through the first five weeks and if he is alert, interested, happy and eating and pooping well, believe me, that is all you can ask for. Time enough to worry if any of that starts changing but as long as it doesn’t, try to relax. Tiny will grow at his own pace.

Marcy
    Participant

I like … love Tiny, I am SO excited to read your update, Mo …. and I don’t even know you OR the lil’ feller. πŸ™‚ I am just *THAT* happy things have been looking up in recent days after coming back just now to ‘check in.’ πŸ˜‰

With this said, I am OVERJOYED to read your update, Mo.

Grant it, I know absolutely nothing about cats or kittens (our first ever is only 6 months old) — I just know that this family is SO in LOVE with our dude “Edgar,” it’s ridiculous. These little felines sure have a way of capturing our hearts, eh?? Wow!

Please know that I have been thinking of you and Tiny – pulling for you – and very impressed with all the knowledgeable “cat lovers” who’ve posted their expertise and love in this regard.

I know you’re unsure of the ‘vet expertise’ you’ve received … but as a mom, a cat-mom, a wife, a chick, etc. etc. … I can reaffirm what everyone has said so far, which is “trust your gut.” You know your baby better than anyone! I tell the same thing to moms with HUMAN babies. Us women (& parents all, in general) have a special gift for intuition. Follow it. And you and Tiny are gonna be *JUSSSS FINNNNE,* Momma. I’m truly thrilled to read the above.

From all that I’ve read – in regards to cats/kittens, babies/people, etc. etc. …. πŸ™‚ … growth happens at different rates. He may have had a rough start, but that doesn’t mean he won’t “catch up” in the months to come. Keep him going the best you can … he knows you love him so … and he WILL thrive, regardless.

I can’t help but wonder why his Momma “abandoned” him as she did? The show tune “If My Friends Could See Me Now” (!!!) TOTALLY pops into my head when I think of Tiny. πŸ™‚ He’s gonna keep rockin’ it, as long as he has a Mom like you. Nice job, Mo! Congrats! Will be thinking of you and Tiny both and hoping things only continue to get better. xoxo.

Mo
    Participant

Thank you so much guys, really I don’t know how I can express my appreciation for your faith in me and for the encouraging and reassuring comments πŸ™‚

@KZ , he was indeed looking to go as he chose a quite far away corner with some old rags in it and start to poop slowly there. I was trying to find a small litter box which he can climb into himself, but couldn’t find any, but I will settle for a big one and put him in it after each feeding for now. I just saw his poop live this time, it is mustard yellow which turns brown after a few minutes ( also like you mentioned ) as opposed to directly brown like it used to be when he was younger ( 2-3 weeks , AKA before the diarrhea episodes ). But it’s no longer diarrhea, it has a good consistency and he does seem to have good control over it, evident of the fact that he ran to the corner , looked for a bit then squatted and started doing the deed. He is pooping 2-3 times a day, quite less than before which could be a good thing as it could mean he is absorbing more nutrients this way.

@jcat
    and @Marcy , I know I am over-worrying and over-reading into his small size issue but he is really very small for 1 month old kitten. That being said, since as most of you mentioned, he is eating and running around ( good energy levels ? ) and screams and ferociously attacks the bottle feeder when I show it to him to feed, I am hoping he is in good health and wants to improve.

Possibly my Saturday trip to the VET will shine some more light about what we can do to help him out even more ( de-worming , supplements , antibiotics , etc … )

One last thing I did notice was that he is eating a little less per session than he used to when he was smaller ( but then again that could be because I was feeding him once each 6 hours before ) as opposed to once each 4 hours in the morning and once each 2-3 hours at night with the addition of the smears of Nurish-UM on the bottle’s nipple.

Tiny would like to thank you all for all the advice and love you’ve shown him already and hopes you keep rooting for him to get even better.
    As for me, I am forever grateful for you guys and hoping for the best πŸ™‚ .

Mo.

jcat
    Participant

Mo, more good news, that is wonderful. It sounds like he is full of beans! When my foster kittens were tiny, I used a disposable aluminium oblong pie dish as a litter tray, they could step in and out easily. Don’t be too eager for the deworming and antibiotics to begin, deworming tablets can make a little kitten feel really rotten for a couple of days, it is best to make sure with the vet that he is strong enough and has enough weight on him to cope with them before he gets dewormed. They are pretty heavy on the system. The same with antibiotics, they are a mixed blessing as they can cause diarrhea in a little kitten and that in itself (as you know) is not good — also they can strip the gut of the good intestinal flora as well as the bad, so if he is given more antibiotics, you might like to also give him some plain yoghurt — maybe a teaspoon a day — to encourage new good flora, or give him Fortiflora (probiotics) for the same reason. The Nourish UM should be all the supplements he needs. Hopefully he will continue to thrive and please keep in touch with us, we would love to know how he is doing.

Jeankit
    Participant

Welcome to TDK Mo!
    Happy JCat was able to help you with some info.
    Paws crossed for getting better all of the time purry progress!
    Here is a chat/link with basic raising kittens info & links!

Links for Raising Kittens

Good luck…keep us posted!

Mo
    Participant

Hello again guys,

Thought I should update you about Tiny and all.
    He seems to be in good health ( gaining more beef ), as I keep checking when I pet his back, I check his spine with my fingers which seems to be less and less protrusive compared to before. He is able of moving quite fast and overall balance is quite improved. He is now even able to escape his small box by jumping up a bit , hanging upward and jumping down. Which made me need to relocate him, effectively removing the box and placing him in my bathroom where I bought him a “Cat Box” ( the one used to transport or travel ) , filled it with a small hot bottle of water covered in sheets from which he can easily get out of and explore and run around the bathroom a bit.

He seems to be more playful, as when I rub his tummy playfully he is starting to bite playfully and grab my hand with all fours. I guess he is still relatively small ( Tiny ! πŸ™‚ ) but the fact that he is running around and pooping well and gaining beef puts me at a bit of ease till I take him to the vet on Saturday.

I even got him a litter box, and filled it with the special clumping clay and put him in it to explore and take a dump. But the little furball actually started smelling and wanted to start eating the stuff so I immediately took him out ( but I think he got a little bit in πŸ™ ).
    I will try to get another brand of litter ( regular sand ? ) and try again, for now I put in his regular towels where he usually does it and I’ll clean up as usual.

The fact that he ate some of the little litter balls makes me wonder as to he might be able to start eating the Gruel ( wet food + KMR ) as he seems to be only needing to put his feet inside the stuff to eat well. Should I wait till Saturday to check with the vet or start already ?

Tiny sends you purrs and hugs and kisses and thanks you for all the help you provided and hopes to only get bigger and stronger.
    Thank you guys for the support, and any and all tips and advice are welcomed and appreciated :).

Mo.

jcat
    Participant

Hi, Mo, it’s so good to hear about Tiny’s progress, sounds like he’s doing wonderfully well. Yes, do get another kind of litter as kittens always eat their litter and the clumping kind is very bad for their little tums, (theoretically) it can clump in their tummies and cause a blockage. (I say theoretically because I don’t have any personal experience of this but then I don’t think we have clumping litter in NZ, so always better to be safe than sorry.) If he is thriving on the milk, then I would leave the wet food until you’ve seen the vet and just keep doing what you’re doing. Lots of scritches and smooches for Tiny (and any chance of a picture?)

Kittyzee
    Participant

Sorry Mo, when I mentioned the litter box in a previous post, I should have specified unclumping, unscented litter for a little kitten. Save the other stuff for when he’s older, as kittens tend to eat the stuff because at this point, everything is food to them. So glad of your progress with Tiny! I don’t know what to recommend to you as far as feeding the gruel because the vet said not to. I know for me, I probably would. But you will have to rely on your gut on this one, how he’s acting. If he is laying around and lethargic, then he’s not getting enough to eat. But you say he is lively and playful so sounds like he is fine. Sending ear and chin scratches and cuddles and kisses to little Tiny. Can’t wait to hear what the vet has to say on Saturday…keep us posted!

Mo
    Participant

Hey jcat and KZ,

He is indeed quite lively, specially when I come around to feed him, he starts running around like a maniac, jumping on my lap as soon as I sit on the floor to feed him πŸ™‚ . I wish I could spend more time with him than I already am , but most of the time I spend with him is around 15-20 minutes after the feeding since I am at work most of the time ( I work abroad so my family’s not around to help out and I’m in the Banking IT sector, so Shifts and Schedule is a nightmare, I’m barely getting any sleep with feeding him and job ).

I will get the recommendation from the VET as well as to what litter box I should use as well as if I should start feeding him the gruel. So far, I am feeding him only KMR and the Nurish-UM smeared on the nipple ( the little rascal loves the Nurish-UM taste and practically drinks milk solely to gulp down that gel ).

I took a few pics of Tiny saying hello :

http://s1.postimg.org/4obg6s2jz/IMAG0245.jpg
    http://s30.postimg.org/dmxt7da7l/IMAG0246.jpg
    http://s29.postimg.org/8oc354g9j/IMAG0250.jpg

Please tell me I’m not over-reacting and he is very small for an almost 6 weeks old kitten ( turns 6 weeks this Sunday πŸ™‚ )

As always, looking forward for your comments and support :).

Thanks a lot guys !

Mo.

jcat
    Participant

OMG, he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!
    Hullo, Tiny! You are a wee cutie!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Awww, he’s adorable! Sweet little Tiny! As far as litter box goes, anything he can get into easily since he’s little and out of with no problems. You can get a bigger litter box later. Or I have put a step in front of mine so they can get in and out easy. Good luck with litter training, but cats have the need to bury their poop so sounds like he will be smart enough to figure it out!

Jeankit
    Participant

Aw, smooches for wee fur ball Tiny = definitely COA Alert of the day!

Mo
    Participant

Hello Guys,

Tiny thanks you for all the smooches πŸ™‚
    You guys have been so much help so I thought I should give an update :
    Tiny is in good health, adapting quite nicely in the bathroom. He sleeps in the Cat Box that contains towels wrapping a hot water bottle which he always climbs atop of to sleep and snuggle. He no longer pees and poops inside the box, he just struts out of the box, goes into the same corner every time and poops and pees ( which probably can make potty training easier as I’ll place the litter box there later on ).
    Since most of my updates are about his poop and pee πŸ˜› , this post won’t be any different :
    – Pee is abundant and light yellow in color ( not sure if he should be peeing this much but could be his kidneys aren’t fully developed yet ? )
    – I watched him poop a couple of times and I can see that the beginning is always a bit of yellow diarrhea then comes a straight toothpaste like brownish yellow mustard color poop which is long and good in consistency ( is he too hydrated ? or is it the worms ? )

I can definetely see improvement in his appetite as I feed him every 2 hours ( when I can = when I’m not at work ) and he seems to be taking in more KMR quantity each sitting than before. He still did not get any bigger in size but I do believe he is getting beefier ( belly and back have more skin and fat covering up the bones, etc … ). I will opt to weigh him tomorrow at the VET and monitor his progress but I worry still about him not increasing in size. That being said, I read this story : (which made me a little bit more at ease )

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Kitten-wont-grow/show/1990338

Hopefully most of his problems will go away tomorrow at the VET when I start introducing wet food ( so that I can start weaning him ) and in turn he can eat from a plate on his own ( in addition to some pamper feeding I will provide πŸ™‚ ).

Please let me know what you think about all this.
    Thanks guys ! Much appreciated.
    Mo.

jcat
    Participant

Awwww, Tiny! His pee and poo sound fine to me, Mo, he sounds like he’s doing so well!

Kittyzee
    Participant

I think you are doing a great job! Little Tiny is progressing well, and I think he will really grow once he is allowed to have wet food! AND get his worm burden taken care of. Worms can be hard on a kitten, but even in spite of it, he is doing very well. The vet may opt to not try and kill all the worms at once, but a little at a time over a period of time. Congratulations, he sounds perfect to me!

Mo
    Participant

Hello again guys,

Tonight was VET night !
    Me and Tiny went to the VET who took a quick look at her ( too quick for my taste ), but he noted how much progress she seems to be making.
    He mentioned how much more lively she seems and how much healthier she looks, her eyes wide open and inquisitive and her weight considerably better than before considering what she was in last week ( in his words ).
    I told him how I am feeding her KMR with a smudge of Nurish-UM to which he applauded and encouraged me to continue doing exactly what I’m doing and that he doesn’t really want to go through any MEDs and anti-wormers before he’s 2 months ( after 2 weeks ) to not affect his good recovery.
    I mentioned to him how she was eating the litter in the litter box to which he said that she is probably able to eat wet food now and gave me some Vitakraft chicken wet food to introduce her to and mentioned that I should not put any KMR in the wet food and instead let her eat it alone, but alternate between a wet food meal and a KMR feeding ( with the Nurish-UM smudge ).
    We went back home, I immediately opened the wet food can, put some in a small plate for him and mashed it up as much as I can. I put some of the stuff on a spoon and enticed him to eat it which he did and then I placed him in the plate and he started eating a bit ( didn’t eat a lot but he did eat some πŸ™‚ ).
    The next feeding ( after 2-3 hours ) was the regular KMR with the Nurish-UM which I can clearly see he loves a lot more ( cheeky little fur ball ).
    The next feeding should have been the wet food again, which I did the same thing but as I saw online someone mix a little water ( just a bottle-cap equivalent ) into the wet food and mash it up which makes it even more gruel-like and in theory easier for him to eat.
    Again, I put it in a plate and fed him a little with a spoon which he did eat then placed him in the plate where he suckeled a bit on the stuff but then turned completely uninterested and started climbing up at lap and shoulders meowing and throwing a fit ( he does that when he wants his KMR ) to which I completely gave in and prepared a solution and fed it to him.

Should I have not mixed it with water ? Or should I ignore the vet’s call of mixing it will KMR ?
    Tomorrow morning I was planning on feeding him KMR with Nurish-UM and leaving a plate of the wet food ( without water ) so that in worse case scenario while I’m away and he got hungry, he might eat up some of the stuff in the bowl.

Another thing was the change in his POOP after eating the wet food. The yellow/mustard like color is completely gone, and his poo is now much darker brown , with still the first half diarrhea like then a half which has better consistency but still on the soft side ( is it the change in the diet ? ). But he is able to fully control it as I see him going into the corner where he usually does and do the deed.

I guess all that’s left now pending is to actually get him a litter box. I am not having any luck finding some non-clumping unscented one as all seem to be the clumping type. I was thinking of getting some regular dirt from a garden nearby at worst scenario maybe ?

I apologize for the big read , it seems my posts are only getting bigger and bigger and my questions relentless …
    I appreciate all the help you guys give πŸ™‚ !
    Mo.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Thanks for the update Mo! You really need to get a litter box of some type, with litter and put his poos in there before he gets confused and just starts going anywhere. He knows what to do, so you need to provide him a box to go in. Maybe now that he is getting food, he won’t be as prone to eat the litter. Just plain clay litter if you can find it, but if you can’t just use the clumping kind. We say unscented, but it is hard to find around here too. There are some that are so strong smelling that it turns cats off and they just won’t use it. That happened to my kitten when he started using the box. I switched litter and he stopped going in the box.
    He will be able to go longer now between feedings since he is getting wet food. Yes, he will miss the nursing and the closeness of you holding the bottle and letting him suck. This is the hard part of weaning, their need to be held close and sucking, it comforts them, just like human babies. You could get him a blanket that has little nubs on it and maybe he will suckle on that. I don’t see the big deal about mixing the KMR with the wet food. You could feed a cat KMR for a treat all it’s life if you wanted to–a little expensive but hey, it’s your pet and you can do what you want. Make sure he has fresh water available to drink at all times now. Sometimes when eating wet food they don’t drink as much because they get a lot of moisture from it, but it needs to be available in case he wants it. So glad Tiny is feeling better and got such a good report from the vet. Most vets go by weight before starting any worm medication, so once he is big enough, the vet will know when to start those meds. Congratulations on raising your sweet little Tiny! We love hearing about him!

Mo
    Participant

Good morning KZ,

Thank you for the continuous advice and support.
    I have good news, Tiny is starting to eat the Gruel ( Wet Food + Bottle Cap of Water + 2 Drops of Nurish-UM mix ) all on his own when i’m not there. Although when I come around I always make him some KMR with a smudge of Nurish-UM as well, to make sure he’s hydrated as well as make sure he still isn’t hungry, etc … I noticed clearly that his intake of KMR has decreased per sitting, which I am hoping is good since that means he is full more often.

The bad news is his poop. It used to be a brownish mustard yellow with diarrhea at first then some consistency, but now it’s more like all diarrhea with loose-like liquid around then in the middle it’s like small round dots or brownish-like dirt specs. I can also see that he doesn’t have as much control on it as before. I can see some drops of liquid poo well before the main deed is present. He does still have control of when he goes, but it’s not as solid as before. Is it because he’s adjusting to the new wet food ? Or should I change something up ? He does seem like he is still quite healthy and active, always climbs up on me when I sit to feed him the KMR and plays around with my finger when I pet him , etc … But I am worried to fall back into the diarrhea thing.

The last problem would be the litter box, I tried grabbing some soft sand/dirt from outside and put it in a small container for him to go into but the next morning I came and he basically did all around it ( except in it πŸ™‚ ). So I just gave up and put in the old litter ( clumping kind that he used to be eating in ) in the hopes that since he is now eating the Gruel, he won’t eat as much and hopefully i’ll return back home at noon today to see him already done in the box ( claws crossed ).

Thanks for the support and advice guys πŸ™‚

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.