5 weeks old Kitten might die … Please help !

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 5 weeks old Kitten might die … Please help !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mo
    Participant

Hello guys,

I’m new here, literally registered just 10 minutes ago so sorry if I am posting in the wrong place or not posting in a certain manner, etc …
    Also I apologize for the long post, but I just want to get as much info to you as possible to get as much help as I can get 🙁

A stray cat that frequents our house got pregnant and had babies. One day she brought one of the little babies to our house and hid it in a room then disappeared for like a week.
    The baby was only 3-4 days old when the mom left so I had to take him in and feed him with eye dropper some Kitten replacement milk that I bought from the Pet Store. I had a good setup for him with a small box with some towels under which I put a warm water bottle so that he could get warm and maintain temperature. The first 3-4 weeks were great, kitten was eating well, I was stimulating him to go pee and poop and poop was good with brown color and toothpaste consistency.
    One time the kitten had diarrhea for 1 day so I took it to the vet who checked him up and said he was quite healthy and quite full as well to which he continued I am probably overfeeding him and should take it down a notch which I did and the diarrhea stopped after 2-3 days.

Three days ago, the cat was still very active, trying to jump out of the box constantly, meowing and running around and playing around ( around 5 weeks old ).
    Then the diarrhea came back again, so I cut down on the formula to dilute with water again and was feeding him around 4 times per day. I fed him at around 2:00 AM then woke up to feed him again at 9:00 AM only to see that he was collapsed on his side, not moving , mouth open and unresponsive. I tried feeding him as usual but he was unresponsive so I got the eye dropper again and force fed him until he regained some of his strength again and could move and suckle on his own ( gave me one hell of a scare ). I jumped to the conclusion that it was dehydration. I made some emergency Pedialyte solution ( that i took from the site ) and started giving him some each 30 minutes until he seems to be almost back to normal ( only calmer and not as hyper as he was ). But the diarrhea still did not stop the day after so I went and bought some baby Pedialyte from the pharmacy and started integrating it 50/50 with the Milk Replacement but still the diarrhea did not stop so as suggested by some people here, I switched to feeding him Pedialyte only ( no KMR at all ). That being said, I notice that his butt/legs section is almost always wet from peeing and the butt is a little swollen. I notice that sometimes, not always, when I come to feed him again he is at the beginning of another collapse and cannot stand/walk on his own until I feed him again to which he gets energy to get back up and stroll around.

However, the diarrhea only got worse as I can see him now squirting transparent liquid-like substance from his butt instead of the diarrhea. Should I incorporate KMR again or stick with the Pedialyte only ?

I am really afraid he might die so I’m taking him to the vet today as soon as it’s open but I live in Saudi Arabia, and the vets aren’t really very good ( to put it gently ).

Please, any tips or ideas that can help are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

jcat
    Participant

Mo, we are not vets and it is so hard to know what is wrong with little abandoned kittens, sometimes their mothers have abandoned them particularly because they know that there is something wrong with them. However, that said, I’m afraid that maybe your kitten’s blood sugar levels keep crashing, that the pedialyte/water is just running through him and that he is not getting enough nourishment and strength to fight. At five weeks, he should be a little more robust than this. It’s true that the biggest danger with diarrhea is dehydration; however the fact that he rallies after feeding but only for a little while makes me wonder about the blood sugar levels. Transparent urine is usually a sign of him being too hydrated. Try the tent test, if his skin goes immediately back down again then he is hydrated.

If he is five weeks old, he is more than old enough to try a little wet food mixed in with his milk formula; some kittens do not want to be weaned until six weeks or a little later but some are ready at four weeks to start eating solids.

First thing I would do is warm him gently and try to get some kitten formula down him. If he doesn’t seem to have enough energy for that, stroke some honey on his mouth and on the roof of his mouth (no big lumps, nothing he could choke on) and if he rallies, try him with the formula. If you feel you have to dilute it, dilute it with a little water only, too much pedialyte could throw his electrolytes out of whack. If you can get hold of goats’ milk, try that instead of the formula. Little and often is best. If he seems to be gaining more strength, try mixing a little wet food into his formula so that it’s the consistency of thin gruel.

And yes, the vet as soon as possible. It could be anything, something bacterial or something viral, at the moment you’re just trying to give him enough strength to get to the vet’s. Best of luck, keep in touch.

jcat
    Participant

Here is the tent test:
    Tent test: pick up a good pinch of kitten’s skin at the neck, hold for maybe 15 seconds and let go.If it snaps back immediately, she’s hydrated okay. If it takes a little time to go back down, or, worse, it stays up in a ‘tent’ shape, she needs fluids.
    Because your kitten is constantly wet and his urine is transparent, I am more worried that he is overhydrated and is not getting enough nourishment right now for his size and age. The diarrhea could have been due to overfeeding; however it could also have been due to a tummy upset or worms. At this stage, and since you stress that vets are not great with small animals where you are, and since you brought your kitten up brilliantly through the most dangerous time (birth to four weeks), I would, if he gets through this crisis, I would trust yourself more and go back to what you were doing before.

Mo
    Participant

Hey Jcat,

Thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated.

I stopped giving him full pedialyte and reverted back to putting the formula (powder) in pedialyte.
    When I did he no longer was squirting transparent poop but rather more yellowish liquid with just a little hint of solids in it. ( not like cottage cheese but more like liquid ).

I also tried to feed him some wet food ( tuna and salmon ), which I sprayed a bit of his (Powder + Pedialyte) formula on.
    I made him smell it and he seemed totally uninterested, I picked him up and when he meowed I put the small little piece soaked in KMR + Pedialyte into his mouth and he gulped a few pieces ( 3-4 ) tops but I can see that his appetite is quite less than before.

You think I should go back to feeding him the KMR without pedialyte again ( which I was doing at first 4 weeks ) .

I have no idea why this is happening, I myself as well thought that the hard part passed when we passed the 4 weeks and that he should be able to drink from a small pot and maybe even nibble on some food about now. I feel awful .

I am currently waiting for the VET doctor to arrive and I will take him there despite my lack of faith in their expertise.

Thank you so much for the help and if you have any more tips or advices that I could use that might help me out, I’ll be even more grateful.

Mo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mo,

You take him off the KMR for awhile. It may be he’s not getting enough solid food to poop. Give him some really stinky wet kitten food (to attract him) or give him chicken/turkey baby food. When my fur ball refused to eat, I gave him baby food. He may have worms or giardia BUT you must get a vet’s opinion. Let us know how’s he doing

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Mo, good advice from all above. I usually try to introduce wet food to kittens at 3 weeks of age. They sometimes don’t act interested in it, but it’s time to get them started. You could make a milky gruel of the wet food/milk and put it on your finger or spoon and put it in kitten’s mouth. They usually will eat a little this way. I agree also that kitten may have parasites which complicate everything. However, I think that maybe your kitten wasn’t getting enough nourishment for his age level and he *crashed*. You did the right thing by dropper feeding him to bring his levels back up. Feeding little and often is such good advice for a kitten who has been sick, I hope you see his appetite perk up once he starts to recover. Keep us posted on his progress!

Mo
    Participant

Hi guys,

Again, thank you so much for the support.

I actually got him back on the KMR solution without any pedialyte whatsoever and I am feeding him small quantities each 1.5/2 hours.
    He seems to be wetting himself quite less and his poo is no longuer transparent, at first it was liquid white ( first poo after the stop of pedialyte ) then it became white liquid with small spaghetti/noodle like ribbons inside ( I hope that’s an improvement ).

Just as expected, the vet actually bailed on my appointment but after I called and practically yelled at him he re-scheduled for tomorrow.

I will try to add some wet food to the milk tomorrow and try to have him eat it in a bowl and if not I’ll feed it to him via the feeder as well ( since the mix will still remain liquid, I don’t see why it wont work ) and hopefully it is as you said simply needing more nutritients.

He is rather small for a 5 week old kitten so you may be right and hopefully the wet food addition will bounce him back more.

After these small changes now, he doesnt seem to be crashing anymore and he does seem to be a bit more active. He still doesnt run around and try to jump out of the box like before but he sees me and reacts to me by meowing and loves to run up my lap and cuddle in my palm to sleep.

Hopefully he’ll get even better tomorrow and the VET can maybe help out even more. Any idea what age he can obtain worm/medication etc ?

As always, thank you guys for the continuous support and please wish me and him luck :).

Mo.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Mo, bless you for the compassion and love you have shown to this little kitten! So glad there are people like you in this world! I think he is old enough to have worm medicine now, and he should be checked for coccidia and giardia (one celled parasites that cause diarrhea) too. It’s not uncommon for a kitten to be small especially if he’s the runt of the litter and has had a setback like he’s experienced in the last week or so. I think now that he’s getting more nourishment from the food and milk, he will continue to make great progress, at least that’s what I’m hoping for you and him. Let us know how you two are doing!

jcat
    Participant

Mo, I’m sorry, I tried to answer again last night but I couldn’t get back on the site. You have some very good advice above and I’m so pleased that he seems to be improving. The ‘spaghetti ribbons’ sound like worms to me, and I think that is probably the cause of the intermittent diarrhea and they will also be taking some of the nourishment that he should be getting from his food. The other thing I wanted to say was, you can get a great nutritional supplement called Nutrical from good pet stores or, if there are none where you are, you can order it online from a good pet website like http://www.entirelypets or amazon, and they will deliver it to you. It’s a high-calorie paste with all the nutrients that kittens need, especially for ill or underweight kittens and cats. and you can add a little to his wet food or smear it on his mouth.
    Best of luck with your little one.

Marcy
    Participant

Hi guys!

I’m brand spankin’ new to this site after just finding it by accident (in googling why our adolescent male kitty’s bum smells horribly – haha!!), and after reading this post, I felt compelled to say something real quick.

And though it was already mentioned above — I just wanted to reinforce. My MIL raised puppies after a stray dog she had taken in had a litter of 6. ANYWAY … we helped out by taking in two of them (temporarily) and one of the things I will never forget is when they pooped, there were “ribbon-like threads” (like the kitten had) in their stool. I asked my husband what the heck THAT was all about, and he said: “Oh, she just gave them their anti-worming medication. They’re pooping out the worms.” Ahhh! I had the creepy-crawlies for days (clearly, I am not meant to breed/raise domestic animals, eh?) 🙄

Mo, when you said that … immediately, I thought that’s what it was. I also noticed these lil’ suckers were still MOVING in the stool at the time. Now, they were being discharged because of meds, but maybe in a sick kitten — it’s different and they’re already deceased, I’m not sure. Not to mention that kittens & puppies are certainly different creatures. But did you happen to inspect them closer to see if their was movement? If so, I’m certain.

Anyway, I really hope you get your little guy up to speed again … it sounds like you are a wonderful, patient person doing a really kind thing. Surely, if/when he makes it thru this — you two will have a bond like no other! Best of luck to you both; I’ll be back for updates. 😉 …and other reasons. Great site here!

Take Care,
    Marcy

Mo
    Participant

Hello guys,

Thank you jcat, pussigato, Kittyzee and Marcy for all your support and your advice. They are much appreciated.

So here’s the update, it’s been almost a day that I’m feeding him only KMR formula every 2-3 hours and I can see some definite improvement.
    His butt area is no longer “always wet” as before and the anus swelling that was before because of the constant defecation is gone.
    He is trying to climb out of the box again (by standing up and meowing and scratching a bit) when he seems me coming( not with as much energy as initially but hey ! I’ll take it !) , he seems a bit more solid on his feet, his sight seems to be improved as he carefully scans my feet as i walk around and follows me to cuddle on my feet.
    I just fed him and put him back in the box to sleep now and for the next feeding I am going to take some wet food, mash it up to as much liquid as I can and mix it with his KMR and try to bottle feed him at first so that he can get some extra nutrients.

As for his poop, yesterday as I told you it improved from white liquid to white liquid with solid ribbon like spaghetti in them.
    Well today it’s still diarrhea but it’s more like clumps of not white ( more like yellow-brown heap) with some of the poop in the shape of a normal poop but the color is still yellow-brownish (close to the color of the KMR powder but a bit darker ). So I guess you could say it’s mixed ( and I don’t know which came first to have an idea if it’s improving or not ). While I guess it is definitely an improvement when compared to the way he was before, what worries me is that I read that white diarrhea poop ( white cottage cheese, but his are not completely white ) generally means that he is not able to absorb the nutrients in his stomach and the food is passing fast into the stool. This is as opposed to normal diarrhea ( brown liquid ) that is caused by worms/infections.

Please let me know what do you guys think and maybe the addition of the wet food in the KMR will make it solidify a bit more and change it’s color ?
    During my visit to the VET tonight, I will mention all these little details as well as ask about any easy ways or food pastes ( Nutrical , etc ) that can help me incorporate them into his diet to which I hope he’ll get even better stool.

On a totally different subject, I also read that abandoned kittens that grow up in the absence of its mom or another car develop social and psychological problems as they generally imitate their mother/other cats while growing up. Will that affect his ability to groom himself, play around with moving stuff, etc… or should I do something for him ? In addition, I am still putting him always in his small nest box which he cannot get out of and change/clean up the sheets as needed of course so the only time he gets out to explore and move around is feeding time. Should that be altered as well ?

As always guys, thank you so much for the friendliness and concern you’ve showed me.
    And if you have any information/experiece to share with me, I am and would be even more very grateful 🙂

Mo

Kittyzee
    Participant

I love your determination Mo, and you are doing a great job of raising your kitten. First off, it sounds like you are on the right road. I would do as you are exactly: adding food to the milk and giving it to him that way. It will change his poop, but in a good way. I think also, that the white ribbons may be worms. He should be old enough for worming medication as long as it’s not too harsh, given what he’s just been through. The worms may be preventing him from getting the proper nourishment, and when they are gone it will help him immensely. Secondly, the topic about hand reared kittens. I have FOUR cats that have been totally hand reared in my house. They groom themselves, play, eat, use the litter box, etc. and have no psychological problems because they didn’t have a mother cat to teach them. You can introduce him to the litter box by putting some of his poo in there (unscented, non clumping litter only to start out with) and after each feeding, to get him used to going in the box. This will help eliminate the need for cleaning his bedding, unless since he has diarrhea, he can’t hold it in. I raised mine in a large dog crate with bed, litter box and food bowls inside. Then finally leaving the door to it open so they can come and go, knowing where everything is. Just don’t put the food bowls too close to the litter box. 😉 Eventually, you can get rid of the crate altogether, your kitten will know what the food bowls and litterbox are, and you can move his bed to a suitable place for him, after he gets to know the lay of the house.

Mo
    Participant

Hello again guys, I just got back from the VET.

First of all, thank you Kittyzee for the tips. I will get him a small litter box and fill it with non clumping litter and try to get him accustomed to it after feeding, and maybe even gently stimulate his butt to make him get the idea.

As for my visit with the VET, I gave him pretty much all the details already mentioned in the post ( how the mother left him, how i fed him , how the first 4 weeks went smoothly, the diarrhea, the collapse, the deterioration, the possible worm problem and the current state now ).
    The first thing he mentioned is that for a 5 week old kitten, he is rather small. He even noted that at first glance, he would have pegged him for a 2 week old kitten and I thought to myself that can’t be good at all :(. He proceeded to say that he just has a weak immunity system which directly translates to un-proportional age and size, and that I just need to be extra patient with the fellow and he’ll be fine.
    I stressed out the question of whether there is any danger on his life to which he re-assured me twice that there isn’t but I have to be patient with him ( to which I told him that I’ll treat him like Gandhi if that’s all it takes ).
    When I mentioned the diarrhea and the possible worm problem, he told me that this on top of his poor immunity is probably why he is having a bad time in the first place and that we cannot give him any anti worm meds until he buffs up a bit more ( both age and size ).
    So I asked him what should I do about the diarrhea, to which he proposed the feed him once each 6 hours so I told him i’m afraid he’ll collapse again, so he told me to feed him each 4 hours but dilute the solution a bit. And he gave him a few drops of pink stuff ( anti-biotics ? ) and said this should help him out a little.
    Finally, about the subject of weaning ( possibly mixing some wet food with the milk and feeding ) he said absolutely not and his teeth aren’t exactly fully developed yet to be able to chew on his own and I should stick to the KMR for now but I should start to let him learn to drink the KMR from a bowl ( slowly but consistently).
    I even scheduled a weekly appointment on Saturdays for the next month to keep my mind at ease…

That being said, I really don’t know what to take from this. I mean the 2-3 hours small and frequent feedings seem to be what kicked him back into gear. The idea of 4 hours with diluted KMR worries me that I’ll come and find him collapsed again :(.

Anyway, thank you guys for listening, and please let me know what you think about this as I already mentioned that I don’t have complete trust in the VETs here but I’m about all out of options and I really want to do the best I can for this little fellow as the idea of losing him just leaves me in pieces.

Mo.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Mo I am so sorry you are feeling helpless even after your vet visit. Yes, granted he is a small kitten and has had a rough time. That being said, I have to disagree with your vet. Remember, I am NOT a vet, but have hand reared many kittens, and that’s not to say I haven’t lost a few too. It’s heartbreaking every time. BUT, since he IS so small and weak, diluting his food and giving it to him every 6 hours may just be a death sentence. I think you need to go with your gut on this one. I don’t think at this point you need to wean him. I think adding wet food to his milk and cutting the nipple a bit so it flows out better will help him. Kittens don’t need big strong teeth to eat wet food, even old toothless cats can eat wet food. He will get the nutrition from the food and the needed hydration from the milk. You can feed him his KMR for as long as you want! I would suggest PASTEURIZED goat’s milk for him because it has lots of good flora for his gut, which he needs right now. I hand reared my last kitten entirely on it. It won’t aggravate his diarrhea or cause constipation either and is much cheaper than KMR. Since you live in Saudi Arabia, I don’t know where to tell you to get some, unless the grocery in the milk cooler section. Here in the states it’s also sold in cans in the baking section of the groceries. I was hoping your vet would give him some wormer, I wish I could remember the name of what my vet gave me. Three syringes of white liquid I squirted down his mouth 3 days in a row. Wait a week and do it again. But don’t give up, the little guy is a fighter and obviously knows you are his *mom*! 🙂 As long as he is warm, being fed enough and getting cuddles, find comfort at least in that he knows he is loved. I would treat him like Gandhi myself if he was mine. There are no guarantees when rearing young kittens, but to get him strong enough to get rid of his worms would be my goal at this point. Decreasing his food intake, in my opinion would not be in his best interest. Good luck Mo, and we here at TDK are all rooting for you two. Keep us posted!!

jcat
    Participant

As KZ has said, we are not vets, we just have some experience with looking after kittens, me at the shelter I volunteered at for several years. Normally, I would always, always say follow the vet’s advice. In this case, however, I would tend to agree with KZ. I think the most important thing (and obviously you know that your kitten is five weeks old not two weeks old) is to get his strength back and I would be feeding him little and often still, without dilution (goats’ milk if you can get it), and hoping that with good nutrition, everything else will fall into place. I imagine that your vet is worried he may choke on wet food in the KMR or that his digestive system may not yet be able to deal with it, as he is so tiny — I would still be inclined to try a little of it in his milk, very mushed up indeed, no big blobs, but be prepared to go back to plain KMR or goats’ milk if it seems to have any bad effects or he chokes at all. I strongly recommend ordering the Nutrical paste over the internet from, for example, http://www.entirelypets.com.

I have used them from here in NZ and they are reliable and not too expensive, and the Nutrical will fill any holes in his nutrition, especially if he doesn’t seem able to deal with any wet food in his milk. I do agree with the vet that worming him is a dicey business until he is big enough and strong enough to cope with it, but I do think that to get to that place, he needs a good nutritional intake. He has the best possible mum giving him the best possible chance so if anyone can make it, he can. I will be thinking of you both and hoping we hear more good news soon.

Mo
    Participant

Hey KZ and jcat,

As usual, thank you for following up :).
    Unfortunately, I don’t have access to goat milk but I actually slightly increased the concentration of the KMR ( not sure if it’s the same ).
    As for the Nutri-Cal paste, I will try to search for it ( or something similar ? ) at a few pet stores around and if I find it I’ll mix it up with his milk and try to feed it to him for that extra kick of nutrients.

I noticed that he is pooping a little less frequently now, though when he does he does poop a lot ( the yellow with a brownish haze ) and some of them have better consistency than others , some even have the shape of normal poo ( but yellowish ) as opposed to the pile of heap that is the majority.
    For example, that last time he pooped was around 12-14 hours ago, so I don’t know if that’s a good thing ( possibly better absorbing the nutrients ?).

As for feeding him little and often, I actually would prefer to keep doing that since I saw the most enhancement during that phase, alas today was the first day of many of which I won’t be able to do it properly … You see in Saudi Arabia, the weekend is Friday-Saturday so the past 2 days , I spent them feeding him little each 1.5-2.5 hours but now I’m back at work, so I fed him in the morning before leaving then I am taking my lunch breaks to go home and feed him ( around 4 hours after the first feeding ) then I’ll go back to work , finish and go back to feed him again 4 hours later.

I suppose I could make up for this when I return at night by feeding him little each 2 hours, but I guess I really need to start to each him to drink from a small pot -> that way he’ll drink some even when I’m not at home ,etc …

As always , thanks guy and any comments are certainly welcome :).
    Mo.

Mo
    Participant

Hello again !

I came back from work to check up and feed the little guy and there it is : Solid brown poop ! And a big piece as well !
    Granted, there were other poop that were not brown ( still yellow brownish ) but they had toothpaste consistency and their color is darker than ever.
    I’ll call it a win and take it : this is definite improvement.
    I am so happy and excited I am actually feeling guilty of maybe jinxing the situation :).
    The little guy definitely is more energetic and rushes towards the bottle’s nipple as soon as he sees it to eat ( speedy little fur ball ! ).
    However, he is still rather small and I think he did not grow at all in the last week :S.

However, I went to a pet store and asked for Nutri-Cal but there wasn’t any, so I bought the thing which the shop owner told me was practically the same : M&C Nurish-UM cat paste : http://www.markandchappell.com/global/cat-kitten/nutritional-support/nurish-um-cat-paste.html

Now how should I proceed to feed him this really ? I tried to put some on my finger and entice him to lick it off but he wouldn’t. When he opened his mouth I put my finger and some got inside so he licked his mouth and all quickly but it also makes quite a mess on his whiskers ( it’s quite sticky ). Would it better to add a few drops in his KMR solution ? Another idea I came up with is to actually coat the bottle feeder nipple with the paste when I feed him. That way, when he comes to suckle, he’ll also suck on the stuff.

The veritable question becomes how much should I feed him from this stuff and how many times a day ? The instructions said to only give to kittens of 6 weeks old and above ( a 1/4 tspn of the stuff daily). If I follow that rule, I believe smearing the nipple head with a bit of the solution each time I feed him a day would be quite about right.

I am sorry for double-posting but I am quite excited the little guy is doing better :).

Your tips and help is always appreciated.
    Cheers everyone !
    Mo.

jcat
    Participant

Dear Mo, that is wonderful news, and certainly don’t apologise for double-posting (that’s when we accidentally post the same message twice), we are all hanging out for news. Does your little one have a name? Don’t worry about the colour of his poop, mustard yellow to tan brown is quite normal for kittens who are milk-fed only (I have noticed the poop can oxidise to a darker brown over time) so it sounds like everything is coming back to normal (I hope so!) I would follow the instructions on the box for the calorie supplement, your idea of putting it on the teat is a brilliant one. Don’t be tempted to give him any more than the instructions say, too high a dose of some vitamins can be as bad as not enough. Let us know how it’s going!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Mo this is wonderful news! Here at TDK we get excited about poop! Good poop that is and it sounds like your boy is starting to flourish! I would do like Jcat says, just follow the instructions on the tube. Also, like Jcat, I have found when my kittens were small and they pooped, it would oxidize after a few hours and be a little darker. I would be thrilled that it is starting to firm up, so you know he is getting some nutrition from his food. Keep up the good work of adding wet food to his milk since he needs all he can get. Make sure to love and pet him and after that, there’s not much more a little kitten needs, is there?! Would love to know what you have named him and please keep us informed of your progress!!

Mo
    Participant

Hello guys,

I have some good news, “Tiny” ( yup that’s his name :mrgreen: ) has healthy tooth-paste like brown poop now and is seemingly quite more active than before. He enjoys feeding from his bottle in my lap ( in which I’m smearing a little bit of the Nurish-UM paste ) then after he finishes, he slowly jumps out of my lap ever so gently and runs around to explore the surroundings then picks a small corner and just starts sniffing and staring at the room.
    I have not started to feed him any wet food mixed with his KMR as I am waiting for my VET visit this Saturday ( the vet asked me to wait till next week to start feeding him anything other than KMR ), but the Nurish-UM seems to be doing good for his energy levels.

Referencing his “punny” name : “Tiny” , I am actually still quite worried about his size as I already mentioned, he is 5 weeks old but is roughly the size of 2-3 weeks old kitten ( doesn’t seem to be gaining any size or weight ). I read around that at this age , the kitten should be playing and almost mobile as a normal adult cat which is not the case for Tiny. Certainly he moves around with much ease than before but he is still not as balanced and does not really play around too much ( example : attacking tiny moving objects, etc )

I have read around quite a lot on the subject of 5-6 weeks old kittens that were the size and weight of 2 weeks old and almost all of them ended up very badly 🙁 (kitten had seizures then died , bled out from rectum and died, etc … ):

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Extremely-Tiny-Undersized-Kitten/show/2149500
    http://forum.horsetopia.com/cats/97850-very-small-kitten-runt-litter-pics-sad-update.html

Further reading about a kitten not growing well into his size due to malnutrition can be found on this site :

http://www.ramesescats.co.uk/health/page126/page126.html

In essence, it mentions that the kitten may not be able to properly absorb the nutrients which is why it is not really growing well.
    It advises to add Pedialyte to the KMR instead of water but stresses on the fact that it should be “ANIMAL Pedialyte”.
    While I did indeed for a small period of time give Tiny Pedialyte, it was Pedialyte designed for small babies so I’m not sure if I ended up actually hurting the little fellow :S .

If any of you guys has had any similar experience ( either good or bad ) , I would appreciate if you could give me some pointers or help.
    I was so happy to see the guy progressing but now I am extremely worried about him growing properly.

Thanks for your continuous support guys 🙂
    Mo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.