5 month old kitten eating grain free and still has VERY stinky poops! Help!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 5 month old kitten eating grain free and still has VERY stinky poops! Help!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ashley
    Participant

I recently adopted a 5 month old tuxedo cat. He is a sweet, loving boy, but I noticed that he was very gassy. Furthermore, his poops are HORRENDOUS. I’ve had cats before, and never have I smelled so foul a bowel — it consumes the entire house! I also noticed that it is slightly runny (I use the Breeze litter system and the pellets were sticking to the poop which only happens with loose stools). I’ve done some Googling, and most people suggest switching him to a grain-free diet, but he’s actually already on (and has been for some time) Blue Wilderness kitten which is high protein and grain free. He was just de-wormed last month. Any suggestions? Could the high protein, grain-free actually be too rich for his tummy? Thank you for any advice you can give!

ecbrown
    Participant

Deworming does not rid a kitten of all possible parasites. Some like coccidia or giardia (which arent worms) require a different treatment. I believe stinky poops and loose stools can be symptoms of those parasites. A vet can test the stool for these and prescribe meds if they are present.

After ruling out parasites, you could try adding a probiotic to his food to balance out his gut flora. Or perhaps, though it is good quality food, it just doesn’t agree with him.

My Emily had horrible stinky poops on grain free canned food. It didn’t worry me much, the litter would absorb the odor so we only smelled it if we were right there when she made it. A raw diet has made their poops less stinky. They get a probiotic too. The other day, though I did notice a stinker…but they still get commercial food when they have a pet sitter and small amounts for snacks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.