4 Week old kittens won't poop but will pee

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 Week old kittens won't poop but will pee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cassy
    Participant

My sister, four days ago, found two four-week-old kittens behind a shed. The mother was around but the kittens were really sick and were in worrisome condition. She knew it wasn’t the best idea to take them from their mother, but because of the shape they were in she proceeded to do so anyways. She didn’t have time to take them(shes a mother of two) and therefore asked me to do it. I, of course, was happy to do so. They smelt really badly of urine, and they’re eyes had that goopiness to them, to where they couldn’t open them up. After I bathed and blow dried them, I cleaned their eyes so they could open them up. I tried feeding them, the older one, Lucy, ate really well; if anything she was really aggressive while eating. The other one, Frenchfry, is a runt and didn’t want to eat. He kept refusing to eat, so we got worried because of that, as well as the health issues they were showing; sneezing constantly, eyes contiously glazing over no matter how many times we wiped the goop away, and we could feel the liquid move around in their little lungs. On the second day I had them, my sister had made a vet appointment for them. We only took one to reduce the costs, in this case it was Frenchfry who was taken because he seemed the sickest of the two. The vet had given him deworming, and amoxicillin. He also said that there were in fact repository problems and they could have one of two different sicknesses(I apologize, I forgot what the names where). He said Frenchfry may not be eating due to sore throat, or because he doesn’t like the taste of the formula. So he recommended adding a bit of pancake batter, or honey. When I got home, I had neither of those things, so I figure maple syrup would suffice. And thankfully, frenchfry began taking the formula. It’s been three days since the vet visit, and we’ve been feeding them formula. They’re stomachs are pretty big, and pretty hard. It’s starting to worry me because Lucy hasn’t pooped in three days, and the last time frenchdry pooped was actually diarrhea before he went to the vet. The vet also recommended giving them them amoxicillin twice a day. I keep trying to rub they’re tummies and constantly stimulate their parts as well as butt; but to no avail. They pee just fine(though lately they haven’t peed as much as before) but they WILL NOT poop. Both of them won’t. I’m worried and I don’t want them to die because of it, they don’t overly act distressed or anything, if anything Lucy actually plays a lot, and sometimes frenchfry as well. Is syrup a bad thing to substitute for pancake mix or honey? Or is it the medicine, a side effect, the dewormer? Someone please help.

Christa
    Participant

Poor kitties!! They are lucky to have you caring for them!! You should call your vet and ask if constipation is a possible side effect of the medication, but I honestly think it is the change in diet from mommas milk to formula. I recently raised a 2 day old kitten that is now 9 weeks, and bottle fed her liquid kmr. Her average was one poo every 2-3 days and sometimes 4. My vet assured me this was normal but I still tried things like watering down formula, adding a few drops of olive oil or doing the triangle method of stimulation. Nothing really made a difference for my kitty, she still only pooed once every few days, but again my vet assured me that is normal for bottle fed kitties. As long as they aren’t going more than 4 days without, at which point they may require an enema (mine had an enema once after a 6 day stretch of not pooping). My kitty is now fully weaned and is pooping perfectly every day, as predicted by my vet the minute she was off formula she became regular!! Your vet can probably answer questions better if you are concerned. Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are giving them a lot of love 🙂

Kittyzee
    Participant

Absolutely, it’s the powdered formula making them constipated. All the techniques above will help with pooping, olive or mineral oil to the formula just a few drops, the triangle method of pooping a kitten, patience and more patience. Add a little gravy from wet food to the formula, sometimes that helps. They are actually old enough to be eating wet food, try the pate kind with no lumps or chunks. Feed it to them on your finger on the roof of their mouth or spoon. Follow up with formula. They WILL start pooping when they eat solid food. Good luck!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Also, they are old enough to be using a litter tray. I am using a disposable foil lasagna pan, with plain clay unscented non clumping litter. My almost 4 week old kitten is now peeing and pooping in it regularly. Yours will too!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.