4 week old kitten urinating problem/crying a lot

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 week old kitten urinating problem/crying a lot

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

4 week old kitten urinating problem

I am currently fostering a kitten around 4 weeks old. His mother passed and the shelter was going to put them down because they are too young to be vaccinated. I am currently living in Anguilla, BWI. Animals are not treated the same here as they are in the States.

Anyways, I’ve had him for about a week. I had him and his sister, but she unfortunately passed. She was the runt of the litter. This is my first time fostering kittens.
    He has a problem of urinating and then just sitting in it. I have started trying to litter box train but I think he doesn’t like how the litter feels. I can’t get a different one because here in Anguilla this is the only clay non clumping kitty litter they have. The litter pieces are very large and rock like, so I imagine it doesn’t feel the best on his paws. I have had to get pee pads because I was having to do laundry everyday and I thought they would help keep him a bit more dry. They’ve helped with keeping linens clean but he’s still getting soiled.

The other two kittens from his litter are at another foster home and are not having this issue. They are already litter box trained but they are using finer clumping litter and I am not about to take that risk.

I’m just getting frustrating with him being covered in urine. I take him potty right after he eats and 30mins after. He tinkles a little and then throws a fit and no more comes out, so I stop stimulating. Then I put him in his bed and he will sleep for a few hours and then wake up covered in urine. I believe he is urinating in his sleep, but he does have accidents while awake too. I feel like when I stimulate him he isn’t letting it all out.
    I am stimulating him over the litter box and leaving a little bit of urine and feces in the litter so he knows what it’s for. He cries constantly when he is in the litter and he will crawl right out.

Any advice on litter box training and ideas as to why he is sitting in his urine?

The vet is closed here until Tuesday so any help here is appreciated.

Also, he tends to cry a lot. If he isn’t eating or sleeping he is crying. Whether you hold him or let him explore he just cries. Is that normal?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Wow Kimberly, you have your hands full with this one. I would say he has got an okay litter, as we recommend non clumping clay litter to start out with. And you are doing all you can under the circumstances with providing pee pads and peeing and pooping him over the litter and in the litter. Patience is key here, but I would take him to the vet to rule out that he doesn’t have a urinary tract infection. Is he getting enough liquids such as his milk? I would see about getting him on goat’s milk (pasteurized) as it’s full of probiotics and very good for your kitten. It is better than KMR in my opinion and have successfully raised a kitten on it entirely. He may still be hungry and that could be the reason for him crying or cold. Kittens need to be kept warm in order for digestion to occur correctly. I place a heating pad wrapped in a towel and a place for them to crawl off if they get too warm. A hot water bottle or something that creates heat that you can re heat may help. I will post some links for you for general kitten care. Good luck! Keep us posted on him!
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj70bbhgOHLAhVhn4MKHbGVAgQQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmessybeast.com%2Fhandrear.htm&usg=AFQjCNEx7vmx1NnPbt0VW0vg4FW3Jtd4CA&bvm=bv.117868183,d.amc

Kimberly
    Participant

Thank you for the advice!

He saw a vet tech yesterday but they didn’t really seemed concerned so I plan on taking him in once the clinic is open again. He just gave us some deworming medicine and a gel vitamin.

He is eating very well. We are currently still doing bottle feeding because he isn’t taking well to Second Step. He hasn’t pick up on lapping. I try dipping my finger in it and bringing it to his mouth but he doesn’t try to lick it.

I will ask about goat milk but I am not sure.

I currently warm a bottle of water to keep in his bed.

I am starting to think that he might be blind. Which will be a whole new game changer. I have always noticed he relied on sound more than sight, but I just thought his vision was still developing. Today he has been very active and walking around but he is bumping into things right in front of his face. He will come when called but will stop half way and wait for another sound cue.
    This might explain why he cries a lot and why we are struggling with litter training. I carry him to the litter and hold him above it. If he can’t see maybe he isn’t picking up where we are at. I always set him down in the litter after I stimulate him to urinate. So today I have been leading him to the litter by sound and letting him crawl in himself. Then stimulate him to urinate.

We will definitely be going to the vet soon because I have read the blindness may be reversible.

If anyone has tips on raising blind kittens that would be helpful. I have already been doing a lot of research but personal experiences would be great.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Kimberly, I have not had experience with a blind cat, but I think that someone here may have. In any case, this kitten is so blessed to have you to care for him. A lot of times vets aren’t really knowledgeable about hand rearing kittens. Some are and they are the ones who have actually done it or been in contact with people who have. The goat’s milk is a lifesaver IMHO just because it’s so much cheaper than KMR and better for them because it’s non constipating. He is too young yet to go the next step, but trying to get him used to wet food would be what I would try. Around 5 weeks, mixing wet food with the milk and making a gruel. Put some on the roof of his mouth and then leading him to the bowl. You will have extra challenges with him if he can’t see, but nothing that can’t be overcome. Check out the links I provided, they are full of good information for you and your kitten. Keep us posted!

Kimberly
    Participant

Okay, what kind of goat milk. Do I just get it at the milk section in the store?

I’m hoping they will have it here but options are limited on the Island.

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aww thanks for giving this wee guy a chance at life, Kimberly. You can get goats’ milk at a farm but it must be pasteurized or you can get pasteurized goats’ milk in the dairy section. You may possibly to find it in the baking aisle. It’s a concentrated dry powder mixed 1:1 with water. I’m not sure what the mail service is but you can order it online.

Here’s some basic info on testing whether he is blind: Bring him under a bright light and see if his pupils contract. If they don’t, that’s a pretty good sign that there is something wrong. However, he’s so young that he may have trouble organizing his senses. I adopted my LilBit at 3 weeks and he does well but sometimes he can’t always focus esp. on smaller items. I guess you can treat him as if he’s blind until you’re sure. The reason I say that is if he’s blind he’ll get the guidance he needed.

Good luck and keep in touch
    PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

Kimberly, like PG said, you can find it in the cold milk section, or in the baking aisle in CANS. The canned us condensed, so you add water 1 to 1. There also is powdered goat’s milk too in the baking section. I am posting a link on pasteurization too just in case.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Pasteurize-Milk

Maria
    Participant

Good for you for taking the little guy in! I’m sorry about his sister and mommy though… All the kittens I have ever had have been really good with potty training, so I’m not sure what I can help with that these guys haven’t already covered. As far as the little guy crying, he’s just adapting to not having any other kitties around. I have a six week old baby, and she constantly cries. She’s just lonely. Try giving him a hot water bottle or warm blankie if he keeps you up at night. He’s used to being with his warm cozy family because he’s so young, so he’s just getting used to being on his own. Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.