4 week old kitten has URI.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 4 week old kitten has URI.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

Hi guys! I’ve been browsing through several forums in hope to read through some advice of similar cases & i think this is best forum by far! Apologies for the long post!

My kitten has been having URI since approx 9 days ago, brought him to the vet, was given artificial tears & antibiotics. Vet said to keep antibiotics as the last resort as it’s not very ideal for small kittens (im actually glad to hear that as i personally am against antibiotics/meds for my pets even for myself & my kid. I’d rather they build their own anti-body/immune system)

Vet advised to monitor if momma cat is feeding him as he can get her anti-body from her milk. She obviously passed URI to him but she’s self-recovered, Vet said that’s good meaning she has her own anti-body.

Kitten is smaller than his sister, still playing and walking fine just less active than his sis. He’s extremely congested and difficulty breathing. When you hold him you can feel how heavy his breathing is and you can feel his chest is very congested.

We are currently syringe feeding him with something from the vet to help increase the immune system and that’s it. Should i really start giving him antibiotics or is there any other way to treat him -naturally? We cleared his eyes regularly and keep a warm pack near his playpen and a humidifier too. His eyes is better only his breathing and congestion have not improved. The poor boy is even sleeping with his head up, i have to scrunch up the blanket so he can rest his head on it so it’s elevated 🙁

Note: He’s purely feeding from momma, no KMR & not weaned yet.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Little kittens do not have immune systems like older cats have been able to develop. It’s your call whether you give him antibiotics or not, but if it would clear up his congestion, I would be for it. As it sounds like he is struggling to breathe. Make sure he is getting nutrition since he cannot breathe and you can’t see what he is getting. You could get some goat’s milk at the grocery (refrigerated milk section) or in the baking aisle in cans or powder. The canned is condensed, so add water 1 to 1. It is full of probiotics for his gut and immune system also. Another suggestion which a lot of us use here as a lot of our cats have had URI’s and feline herpes, is L-lysine. Human grade found in the over the counter pharmacy section of most stores. I grind mine up and sprinkle it over their wet food. It’s tasteless and odorless and they don’t mind it at all and it keeps weepy eyes and sneezes away. Great immune system booster also.

Suzy
    Participant

Thanks for the advice!
    I am definitely thinking of taking him to the vet tonight and see what other options there might be, if antibiotics is the best option then antibiotics it will be 🙁

Are goats milk safe for kittens? Also since he’s feeding from momma, will a mixture of goats milk & momma milk confuse his digestive system?

I’ll go and grab some L-lysine but I should only feed this to the sick kitten right? Could I just grind them up and have him lick it from my finger?

Kittyzee
    Participant

No, all cats can have the lysine. You can put it in the kittens’ milk, or you can mix it in with the wet food.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.