4-5 day old stray kitten won't poop

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4-5 day old stray kitten won't poop

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Darby
    Participant

Hello my name is Darby and my kittens name is KT Moss I found this kitten with my boyfriend in the bushes with a vine wrapped around its neck whilst screaming its head off I’m pretty sure all of Florida could hear it, so we took the kitten in, that was one almost 2 days ago. Since we’ve had him he eats like a maniac, pees like a maniac but when it comes to pooping he just won’t. The day we found him as we got home I noticed a strip of hard crusty poop coming out his bottom so I pulled it out and only a little poo came out with the dry part. I’m like ok this has happened with my other kittens, slightly dehydrated ok I can fix that I feed him every 2 hours about 2tsp and it all comes out his bladder but still no poop,his stomach is distended which I’m going to guess is worms,but after he pees his stomach looks almost normal. I gave him a little olive oil, the problem is I worry he may die if toxic shock if I can’t make him poop and I don’t get paid until friday and I have absolutely no money right now.. Maybe I’m being a worry wart but I’d like to ask you guys what I should do. . I tried the triangle method all he did was scream, I used warm paper towel, my finger, a soft shirt, soft circles, belly rub, slight pressure, the whole shebang. I really would like some help for little mossy.. I don’t want him to die especially since my boyfriend and I see him as a blessing. . If you could help that would be greatly appriciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome Darby to TDK land- the furriest and fluffiest place around. Concats on your new fur baby and for rescuing him from a horrific situation! KT Moss has been traumatized so its not surprising he’s constipated. Start with goat’s milk. Goats’ milk has nutrients, probiotics and is easy on their tummies. You can find the liquid in the refrigerated milk section, or in cans in the baking aisle. The canned is condensed, so add water 1 to 1. The olive oil is good so continue to give KT a little bit in his bottle. KMR tends to give bloating, constipation or diarrhea. He’s too young for an enema so follow the instructions in the link on constipation. If your best efforts don’t help then check with the vet. I’m sure KT Moss has worms.

Here are the go to links for TDKers:

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

Good Luck and keep in touch

PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

Darby, PG gave you good advice. It may be that his body is using all of the nutrients right now, and just doesn’t need to make poop yet. Just keep trying, even though he doesn’t like it and hollers when you try and stimulate him. I will post a link on the triangle method too. Keep us posted on how he’s doing!

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Darby
    Participant

Update still eating like crazy belly is round but not super hard, I get him to burp and sometimes I feel like he farts still no poop though, I just worry I hate animals dying… As for the type of oil is vegetable oil suitable as well, I’ve read a few pages where they use a drop of veggie oil to their food every 2 hours, I just want to make sure since I ran out of olive oil.. Thanks of the replies it has been since Monday he hasn’t pooped but he keeps eating and peeing perfectly fine and his belly isn’t hard just extended and mushy like those balls you can get as a prize at Chucky Cheese’s. Also I read that to relieve constipation in humans to use veggie oil mixed with a little honey, would that work or is the sugar from the honey not good. God I feel like I am asking so many questions, if I can’t relieve his constipation at home how much do you think I would need for a Vet to do it?

Darby
    Participant

Update little Moss Pooped quit a bit, although it was yellowish in color there were hard almost guinea pig pellet poops with it as well. After he pooped he became fussy and I went to see if he was hungry by putting his empty eye dropper near his mouth, he latched on and wanted food so i made him food and he ate and then fell asleep now he is purring so loud it is the first time I’ve heard him purr this loud. After an hour I’ll try to make him potty again, hopefully more poop comes out if so this momma will be super duper happy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We get just as excited about poop as you are, Darby. I still recommend getting the Goats’ milk.

Darby
    Participant

Will do, I am so happy and so is he, no more random crying (Not really random must’ve hurt) no longer crying hydration is back to normal or close to since I did the skin test, yesterday I did it and it stayed up now it goes right back into place. Also found out that this little stray is actually almost 7 days old since his eyes are 1/2 opened. Happy my little man feels better thank you all for your help, I was worried and ya’ll helped me so thank you! https://www.instagram.com/p/_ppzRiu8Wh/?taken-by=thedreamersking here is a picture of little moss napping! Thank You again! 🙂

Kittyzee
    Participant

Darby, make sure you check out the links PG gave you. They are full of info about raising kittens. He will need to be kept warm, with a heating pad wrapped in a towel and a place for him to crawl off if he gets too warm…in his nest. Let us know how he is doing. The pics are great and he is adorable!

Anonymous
    Inactive

KT Moss is just a tiny ball of fur. Thanks for taking him in and giving him a chance at life. Keep up the good work; read the links and ask us if you have more concerns. I look forward to seeing KT grow up.

If we don’t chat before – Merry Christmas to you and your family.

PG

Darby
    Participant

I have another question, when I pet Moss back he decides to roll so his belly is in the air and then grabs my fingers and noms on them. Is this normal for a 7 day old kitten?
    Also when he is sleeping he twitches and jerks a lot, is he dreaming?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Darby, I am wondering if your kitten may be older than just a week. Of course I don’t have any way of knowing, but the things he does makes me wonder even though he may be small for his age due to birth order and genetics. Anyway, your kitten most certainly has worms as most all kittens do, as they get them from their mother. There is nothing that you can do for that now, as he is too young for wormer and the vet will know how and what to prescribe for that. Just make sure he is getting plenty of food and is eliminating and peeing and all should be fine until you get him to the vet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, he’s dreaming

Darby
    Participant

Moss is 18 Days old today and for the past week I must say his poop has changed from Yellow Mucus, with large white specks to yellow then I changed his formula from powdered formula to premixed kitten formula and within the next few days his poop changed to dark yellow, then orange with mucus to plain orangish brown, with the consistency of a cow patty and now it is brown and a little softer than firm. I also went to the vet with him and the Vet was surprised he didn’t have worms, also that he was unnaturally healthy considering he was a baby from a stray cat. The vet also said the reason his poop was so yellow was because he didn’t get enough colostrum from his mother and so when I started him on formula it messed up his belly, so after changing his formula he feels better. He also plays more and walks around a lot, he has also learned how to climb out of his bed so we bought a little kitty pool and made it his area with his soft blanket and toys, as well as heating. He also met his two brothers which are guinea pigs, he wanted to play while the guineas were too scared to go near him. One thing the doctor was concerned about was that his head shakes when he is focusing, excited, or fatigued and he said that he may have Cerebellar Hypoplasia or head tremors. But he said he should be fine as he grows older, his head will continue to shake and he may fall over but he is healthy. So there is the update on Little KT Moss. Oh and his ears are now on top of his head, and he can walk without wobbling as much!

katzenjammer
    Participant

Tks for purry update and all-clear from vet visit, Darby.
    You might want to consider submitting Moss’ pic as Daily Kitten, instructions on bottom right as “Submit Your Kitten.”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.