3 year old cat gagging, but not vomiting + new kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 year old cat gagging, but not vomiting + new kitten

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Victoria
    Participant

To make a longish story short, we’ve recently taken in a 6 week old kitten. He’s been with us for a week now. I have two 3-year old females, they’re litter mates!
    At first they were both hesitant around new kitty, we keep him in the bathroom when we aren’t home and confined to our bedroom while we sleep, while both ladies have their usual access to the apartment.
    My one kitty, Luna, was doing so well around the new kitten, sniffing him, investigating him, and letting him near her with no issues. This morning we went to pick her up, and she gagged, but didn’t actually vomit. She has been gagging all day, and hasn’t been acting like her normal self. She ate some of her usual wet food, and I believe some dry food overnight, but will gag right afterwards, and won’t afually throw up any food.
    She is quite sensitive, and last year we had a urinary issue with her, only to have the vet tell us it was a response to stress, so we know she gets stressed easily. She was fine with the kitten, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t stressed out now.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this? I’m not sure what to do for her or how to comfort her. I’m trying to give her extra snuggles and bought her some calming treats. I plan on calling the vet in the morning for any other advice, but the dry heaving/gagging has me very concerned. She’s used to getting a LOT of attention, she’s quite the ham, so I think she may just be stressed with the little one around.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Victoria,

I haven’t had this exact problem but it sounds as if your girl is jealous of the interloper. Since she is sensitive and your reaction may let her feel less loved.

That’s what I think is the issue. However, you should call her vet. and see what they think about it. She could a medical issue that needs tending.

PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

I would DEFINITELY get her to the vet to rule out anything physical. Sometimes cats gag when they have tapeworms…they try crawling out through the mouth and the cat will gag. If it does end up being stress, she will just need more love and reassurance that she isn’t being replaced by the ‘interloper’–and remember him being a male kitten, once he’s old enough and comfortable enough, he will try to play rough with the girls. It’s just in his genes and you will probably have to settle him now and again. With your girls only being 3, they should be able to handle him but not knowing their temperaments, you may have to intervene.

Victoria
    Participant

I figured I’d come on here in case anyone else has a similar issue, but Luna had not improved by the morning, so I took her into the vet. Her exam was fine, and it turns out she has a sore throat and is just being extremely dramatic about it. ? She is my sensitive girl, but of course she was hamming it up.

We got her some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory to help with her throat, and so it won’t get any worse. All that worrying for a little sore throat!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Actually, I think it’s good that you took her in…even if it WAS a sore throat. They hurt like he$$ and beware: if you come down with a sore throat or if you have children that have upper respiratory issues, they can keep passing these viruses back and forth until you get the animal taken care of–such as a vet visit with antibiotics!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s good to know Miss Luna got an almost clean bill of health. I hope her sore throat clears up soon.

I’m glad KZ wrote you because I never knew that tapeworms could come back up. Ewwwww!

Shea Scheuer
    Participant

Hi Victoria! Thank you very much for posting about this because I could not find anything on the internet that described what I am experiencing with my cat until now. It is reassuring to read your kitty is fine now! I introduced a new kitty and my resident cat, even though he got along just fine with the kitty, started gagging about a week later. Thankfully I took him in. He ended up having a fever. He’s recovering now but there isn’t any more gagging. Thank goodness! Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.