3 week old kitten wild on the bottle and sneezing milk

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 week old kitten wild on the bottle and sneezing milk

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rm gilmore
    Participant

I’ve been reading every article imaginable on the subject, but still feel my question is unanswered. Even my own vet gave little andvice, though he is a pretty attentive guy.

Maz, abandoned at about 10 days old and found in the insulation of a wall, is now a healthy 3 week old meow machine. She plays, pees, pooped once (a bit concerned about that), and digs the bottle.

She’s ferocious, and regularly gnaws on the nipple, attacks the bottle, and rips my fingers to shreds. Now, with no change in feeding position or nipple, she has started producing milk from her nose.

She will immediately sneeze, and sneeze, and sneeze, cough, sneeze, and meow for more food. I asked the vet a few days ago about it and told him I was worried about her croaky meow possibly being a sign of the onset of pneumonia. He gave her a thorough once over (it was our recheck visit for her eye infection which has cleared up beautifully) and said she was healthy.

She is fed 15cc of slightly diluted (because she’s blocked up) KMR 4-5 times a day. Always on her tummy, but she regularly climbs or stands which causes a fight when I try to reposition her. I have created multiple nipple hole configurations and it’s either way, way, way too too tiny and produces no milk or it’s perfectly sized and she STILL gets milk in her nose.

Kitty burrito works for a second, then she’s struggling to free herself, in turn choking on milk. She chews the crap out of the nipple and sometimes will try to walk away, biting the nipple in her teeth, dragging it under her legs.

Out of desperation, I gave it a shot and tried out a tiny dish of milk. She shoved her face in, though it was literally not even a thimble full, and promptly got milk in her nose. She did lick some off my finger, but she wasn’t seriously interested and ended up just chewing on me.

I have to say I’m super stressed about aspiration pneumonia to the point I kinda want to cry while feeding her. Exhaustion doesn’t help, but really, this kitten is going to give me a stroke.

Any help is appreciated!!

jcat
    Participant

Just a thought but did the vet check her for cleft palate? Otherwise, if she is healthy and drinking and active, I’d try not to worry too much, honestly, it is marvellous you have gotten her this far. In another week you will be able to try her with a little wet food mixed into her milk like gruel (she may not want to wean at four weeks but you can try her) and that will help ease her hunger pangs. Also, have you tried goats’ milk? It’s very nutritious and easily digested by kittens (you can bring them up on it) and she may find it a bit more satisfying.

Kittyzee
    Participant

RMG, oh so sorry this kitten is giving you such fits! Jcat has some great points above. I agree with the goat’s milk as that will help with the constipation as will adding a little olive oil to her milk to soften and get things moving. I would mix wet food/milk in the bottle and cut the tip of the nipple off and see how she does. Or try it on a plate and let her lick it up. Make a gruel out of it, and if you are feeding her by bottle remember to have her 4 feet on the ground as this is why she is aspirating her milk. Kittens grab and chew at the bottle/nipple when they feel they aren’t getting food fast enough. Keep your head about you, have patience, she will be fine if you can get her through the initial learning process.

Rm gilmore
    Participant

This morning Maz choked, not just sneezed milk, but actually choked and had trouble breathing afterward. I did everything I could to help her expel the fluid and after a few minutes she coughed sneezed up a large amount of milk.

I took her to the vet immediately, explaining to them everything and begging for help. She hadn’t meowed much and didn’t seem her usually spunky self. But then the nurse checked her temperature and she screeched, meowing up a storm.

Doc checked everything, including the nipple and feeding position, and couldn’t figure out why she was consistently, and suddenly, having such a hard time.

In the end he decided not only was she doing it to herself, she is actually 4 weeks, not 3, and is showing signs that it’s time to wean. In the office, he gave her some prescription kitten food and after a long breathless minute she finally lapped it up. We all cheered and breathed a sigh of relief.

Because of the risks doc pulled her off the bottle and prescribed her some kitten food. It’s still a waiting game to see if pneumonia is going to develop, but as of right now she has eaten her portion of food and is asleep. She’s meowed more and was moving all over the place, stepping in her dish and making a huge mess.

Thanks to all who offered advice. I’ll keep this thread posted as things progress. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kittyzee
    Participant

RMG, she is way too young to wean, but you can INTRODUCE wet food to her along with her milk. You can mix the milk with the wet food too. Kittens sometimes when they are hungry, try to eat too fast. I have mixed the wet food and milk to make a gruel and put it in the bottle and fed them that way. Kittens usually make a mess of their dishes and themselves when first trying to eat from a dish. Good luck with her and I hope she is pneumonia clear!

Rm gilmore
    Participant

I followed the vet’s directions exactly as he prescribed. Which he said, after my asking multiple times, no more formula just the prescription food.

Maz did really well for a day, then declined quickly this afternoon. Ultimately she reached a point there wasn’t much we could do anymore and we had to alleviate her pain.

We saw a new vet today at the same office and he determined there was a serious possibility Maz had internal issues which were the root of many of her ongoing issues, including her inability to safely suckle. She was abandoned by her mother and was probably the runt so his diagnosis made sense.

Though this was the final diagnosis, I can’t help but be angry that I didn’t follow my gut and mix her milk with her food, no bottle because that was a riskier issue, and do what it took to get her to eat and stay strong.

I’d had a feeling, like a deep in the gut mommy geeling, that she wasn’t well from day one. I told my husband I knew her time in our life was going to be short lived.

I’m glad I got to show her love. I’m glad I didn’t allow her to be tossed in the dumpster. And I’m glad I wasn’t selfish and allowed her to sleep.

Thanks for all of your help.

jcat
    Participant

I am so sorry. It was a tragically short life but it was full of love, she was safe and warm and cherished. My heart goes out to you.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Oh no RMG, I am so sorry for your loss. Remember that she knew only comfort, warmth, caring and love and that’s all any of us can ask for no matter how short or long our stay here is. Such is the heartache of the rescuer, but that’s what fuels us on. Hugs and prayers to you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wee Maz knew only love from you. You did your best and now she crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is romping around with all our beloved kits.

JerseyJoan

I’m so sorry for your loss of Maz, RMG. She knew love because of you, a truly great gift.
    Maz is The Daily Kitten today, we will celebrate her life and she will not be forgotten.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes Maz was our TDK and we got the chance to see what an adorable cutie pie.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.