3 Week old constipated kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 3 Week old constipated kitten

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    katzenjammer
    Participant

Is that your little girl? Those pics are beyond cute!!! :mrgreen:

Leahlove
    Participant

Yes, that’s my little animal rescuer in the making! She keeps asking why we can’t put a horse in our backyard!! Our kitten Elsa has been doing very well. She is eating kitten glop now and has easily transitioned to eating from the bowl. Best part is our other cats/dog and her are getting along great! We even spotted our male kitty licking her! The only problem we are having now is she is going to the bathroom under the bed, couch and bookshelf. We have her own personal litterbox in the room her bed is in and when I put her in there she tries to eat the litter. I try to stimulate her after eating and scratch the litter with her paws but she never goes. I am glad she’s going but she’s ruining my hardwood floors!! Any advice?

jcat
    Participant

Yes, check the litterbox tag for heaps of advice. Kittens always try to eat the litter, make sure it’s not clumping and it may help to try a few different litters until you find one she likes (not strong-smelling and feels nice). Can she actually get in her litter box easily? An aluminium tray might be best while she’s still tiny. What’s more, I’d treat every area where she’s ‘been’ with a good enzyme cleaner and then put another litter/aluminium tray on top for her, for now. Kittens are like little kids, they forget to go and then get caught short, she might not make it to her tray in time or she might be too busy playing to want to make the trip! You can also try a product called Kitten Attract (it’s pricey so you can sprinkle some over her ordinary litter). Cats also feel vulnerable while toileting so her litter box/es should be somewhere quiet, calm, out of the house traffic and private (ie why she likes the under the bed, couch, etc). They can feel specially vulnerable in a multi-cat household. Best of luck!

Leahlove
    Participant

Thanks, I will get that spray and also try to put litter in the pans under those spots! All my other cats have just known to go in the box, this is the first time I’ve had a problem!

Marta
    Participant

Hello Leahlove,

I am having the same problem with my 3 week old kitten she has not poop since monday 4 days ago. She had a big poop that day but since I have been stimulated and nothing happens 🙁 can I ask you what did u dobto get ur kitten to poop? And how long did the kitten spend without pooping? Thanks please I hope u answer

Kittyzee
    Participant

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

Marta, I posted this link for you–hopefully it will work and help you with your kitten. This is very common in hand reared kittens. Try goat’s milk, as it doesn’t cause constipation or diarrhea in kittens and it’s lactose free (unlike cow’s milk) and won’t cause problems. My last kitten was raised almost entirely on it!

Marta
    Participant

I am giving her the KMR formula you find at any pet store i have diluated it with more water now i am mixing 1:3 but nothing I also add two drops of olive oil still nothing I was thinking to do the triangle method tommorrow if she doesn’t poop

jcat
    Participant

Marta, at two weeks, and only on formula, your kitten needs most of the nutrition she is getting to grow on. She will not be pooping much and you may not recognise it as poop. If you water down her formula too much, she will be getting less nutrition and will have even less to poop. There is no problem with trying the triangle method but make sure she’s still getting enough goodness in the KMR.

Marta
    Participant

Can u explain to me how am I supposed to do the triangle method? I just changed it from 1:2 to 1:3 is it okay? Should I just wait for her to poop? Thanks for ur replies 😉

JerseyJoan

Hi Marta – there should be a link to the explanation of the triangle method in the search button.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Marta, did you click on the link I provided above? It will give you explanations and help guide you through the constipation. The triangle method works (with determination) and the thermometer sometimes too. Persistence and patience pays off!

Marta
    Participant

Hello guys i diluated the formula with more water added about two olive drops for 45 ml. Still nothing and it seems she does not want to it.. :/

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.