3 Week old constipated kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 3 Week old constipated kitten

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Leahlove
    Participant

Hi, someone my husband works with found a kitten (about 3 weeks) outside their job. They left her for the day but then when it was time to go home my husband brought her with him. She is bottle feeding KMR approx 1 ounce every 5 hours and being stimulated every 3 but will not go poops. We called our other cats vet and she she said she would eventually go and to keep stimulating..She is peeing every time and has a very good appetite. Yesterday after four days of no poo i called another vet and they gave her an enema. They said she should go on her own later on that day but now it has been 24 hours later and she has still not gone. We have tried watering down the KMR and even given a drop of olive but nothing has happened yet. Hoping for any advice as all my google searches lead me back to here.

Amy
    Participant

Hi Leahlove:
    Thank you for taking this baby in. You are awesome!!

You are also in a great place. I had this same problem with two of my babies.

Thanks to Jcat, Chaos and Sikandar, I got through it. They are great resource people.
    In fact, Chaos did a pretty lengthy post on constipation. I’m not sure how to link to it, or I would.

It sounds like you have a tough case like I did. Mine wouldn’t go up to five days at a time. I tried everything.

Finally, the vet gave me something called a PET-EMA, along with a small syringe without the needle (cost about
    $6.00). I gave them 0.5ml every four days. Sometimes, I had to give them two enemas before I got results.
    I also found that it helped to stimulate them about 10-15 minutes after the enema.

If you are comfortable giving her an enema, then ask the vet if this may work for her.

I know this is pretty frightening, but it sounds like she is doing well otherwise. Keep an eye on her to make sure
    she continues to eat and pee and be alert.

I think you will find that once she is weaned, she will keep you cleaning a full litterbox.

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated.

Im so glad it worked out for you! @ amy

@ LEAHLOVE – hi dear! this a great go to reference for your constipated kitty woes –

http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html

and such a wonderful thing that you guys took that lil baby in! welcome!

Leahlove
    Participant

Thank you both so much! Just wondering how much she should be going? The vet we took her to said twice a day which seemed a lot to me. Also at 3 weeks am I able to put some kitten juice from the wet food in her bottle. Do you think that may help with constipation? I am nervous to give her an enema but would learn as I can not afford to pay $80 dollars at the vet every other day.. Thanks again!

Amy
    Participant

Nice to hear from you again Sikandar!!

Hi Leahlove:

Twice a day sounds like a lot to me too. Constipation in bottle fed kittens, especially fed with powdered KMR is VERY common.
    That link that Sikandar sent has some good tips on enemas.

A few suggestions for you:
    1. If you are going the enema route, you may want to contact a local rescue group. They may have someone who is experienced, who might walk you
    through giving that first enema. I have included some links to local groups for you.

cat.rescueshelter.com/NewYork
    cat.rescueme.org/NewYork

2. For immediate concerns, you may want to look up a local 24 hour emergency vet clinic. Sometimes they are pretty good about answering questions by phone. They will also tell you if they think that your kitten needs to be seen.

3. Sometimes there are funds available for veterinary emergencies.
    NY Save, http://www.nysave.org For the 5 Boroughs of New York.
    All 4 Pets, http://www.all4petswny.org For Western New York.

4. Chaos Guide to Constipation can be found here. http://dailykitten.com/chat/topic/chaos-guide-to-constipation/
    This is a great resource.

5. Try hard not to panic. I know that is easier said than done.

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get the links to work.

Take care. Will be checking in to see how you are doing.

Amy

hi amy! thanks, good to hear from you too! poop issues are common here!

Leahlove
    Participant

She finally went!! I am so happy I could cry! Thank you all for the advice! Hopefully we will be good from now on!

Amy
    Participant

That’s good news. It’s amazing how some poop can make us so happy at this stage. Take care. Keep in touch

Leahlove
    Participant

Thank you so much. It is hard not to stress out as everyone in my family has become very attached..especially my 4 year old daughter who named the kitten Elsa from Frozen. My husband was able to get a nice long toothpaste poop out of her so now I can relax a little! Hopefully she will go for me otherwise my husbands got poop duty! Thanks again!

that’s fantastic!

Leahlove
    Participant

Hi poor little baby has diarrhea now, as she let me know by doing a going right on my chest.. Her sleeping spot!! This is day 3 on liquid kmr. Wondering if I should try and give her something or just let her body adjust?

Amy
    Participant

How is Elsa doing?

Leahlove
    Participant

Hi..Elsa still has a little diarrhea although she seems better than yesterday when once I saw a tiny bit of blood. Do you think changing from powder to liquid caused an upset stomach? She seems very happy otherwise..I cut down on feedings to let her tummy settle but she still has a good appetite and is moving around/purrs. I am wondering if I should rotate both powder and liquid or let her body adjust to one?

Jeankit
    Participant

Hoping little Elsa is improving. Found some past chat/links that may help you:
    http://dailykitten.com/chat/tags/diarrhea/

Amy
    Participant

Since I’m not versed in how to deal with diarrhea, I will defer to some others on the forum.

3 week old kitten with Diarrhea. Help?

Please keep us posted.

hi leah! there could be many possibilities, but a sudden change in diet could have caused diarrhea, or she could have an infection. the fact that u said she seems ok otherwise may indicate that you changed the diet too quickly and didn’t let her transition, which doesn’t always set well with some cats. i would try to rewind, feed her some the old stuff again, but transition her by giving her a little of both and seeing if that helps.

Leahlove
    Participant

Thanks..after reading a few of those threads I definitely think the change in formula did it. Hoping her body will adjust if I give it a little more time.. She has also been biting the nipple of the bottle so I am thinking maybe she can start on some kitten food soon. Thanks again!! [url=http://postimg.org/image/8160fygwt/][img]http://s22.postimg.org/8160fygwt/image.jpg[/img][/url]

Leahlove
    Participant

image image

jcat
    Participant

Oh, how gorgeous!

yep 🙂 who is the little girl?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.