3 kittens in litter have died why?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 kittens in litter have died why?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cat owner
    Participant

Ok so look we got a litter of kittens they were probably born on april 4 this year (2018). One of our kittens was struck with upper respirarory. The days leadinf to his passing (about a week or so), when he was active he would open his mouth and jolt his body (look i havent seen somn like this so im sorry if the descriptions are vague or inaccurate). Anyway he looked like he was choking in a sense, but i held him up to my ear and befor the jolt i heard a breath out. Maybe he had a hard time inhaling? We were forced to tube feed which our veterinarian showed us how to do. We did this for about two days before he died april 28th (unfortunately we werent with him at the time but he was in the same position we left him so he probably died while sleeping). The very next day one of our cripled kittens began to show the same jolt movements the last one did but he was not sick with upper respiratory (he may have just been exposed to it but i think it is unlikely since we kept the sick kitten seperated). Reguardless it didnt take a week of the “breathing jolt thing” to kill him… he died that evening. And we were tube feeding him for two days. OH I SHOULD PROBABLY MENTION NOW IN ALL CASES THE KITTEN STOPPED EATING AT LEAST A DAY OR TWO BEFORE DEATH. We are sure we are tube feeding correctly and we arent killing them with it… anyway as for th third kitten (whom im holding as I type) died minutes ago with the same issues except we never did tube feed. She stopped eating today and within an hour of her missed feeding she woke up suddenly screaming this horrible cry it sounded like some wet cry or like a gurgling of water but less full and deep in her throatand she did that for less than 5 minutes and she died right here in my arms. My mom and I feel so useless and im asking for any help to determine what this is and how to preven the three remaining kittens from dying.

I appologise for any grammar/spelling mistakes and for the bad descriptions i am no expert at describing well.

If anyone knows anything or have questions that can help please let me know

Cat owner
    Participant

Is there a way to attatch a video i took a video of the last kittens cry (although it was faint)

Kittyzee
    Participant

I am so sorry for the loss of your kittens. We are not vets here, so there is no way any of us could know what your kittens have died from. It’s so sad to hear the descriptions of their cries. More than likely, they died from something that their mother had during her pregnancy, and since kittens don’t have a fully developed immune system, the disease progresses and overtakes them. Just because a kitten isn’t showing signs of an upper respiratory infection, they can still have it.

I think if you have live kittens still, to get them back to the vet and have them checked for URI or something else. Hopefully, you don’t have other cats in your home that could be exposed to a contagious disease. That’s why it’s important to quarantine new arrivals and to make sure your clothes are changed and you have washed well before handling other cats in the house.

I will post a link for you for hand rearing kittens hoping it will help you with any remaining ones. Again, I’m so sorry. Hand rearing kittens is not for the faint of heart, it’s a hard job that has wonderful rewards, but sometimes it can be heartbreaking.

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.