3.5 Week Old Bottle Baby Kitten Not Hungry

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3.5 Week Old Bottle Baby Kitten Not Hungry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BellaKitten
    Participant

Hi!

First, I want to say how thankful I am to have found this site!!! The knowledge and information that you are sharing here is amazing. Thank you!!

I am hoping to get advice, insight, or suggestions about an orphan litter that I am working with.

I am fostering 3 kittens out of a litter of 6. They were found, alone, by the side of a road. The litter was split up between me and another foster.

I have had them since 1 week of age. At 13 days, they developed exploding, bloody diarrhea. I suspected coccidia and suggested they see a vet. Fecals were negative but Albon was given. My three responded within 3 days and have been doing great: gaining weight, active, vigorous, playing, etc. The other 3 are not doing well – still have diarrhea and are not thriving. I don’t know the other foster or what is going on with them. I would think if it’s something inherent that mine would be still having trouble, too?

Well, as of last night, I have a concern about what has been the biggest, heaviest kitten. He wasn’t as hungry as usual for his feeding at the late night feeding time. He normally will eat 7 – 9 syringes (15ml) at a time – with vigor! Last night he barely wanted 3. I had to push it to get the third one finished.

This morning I could hardly get him to eat 3 syringes. He was also just a little “off”. Hard to describe, but you know how it is when you watch them all day and all night long – you know when the slightest thing is off – not as energetic. Plus, when I put him down after feeding this morning he was a little fussy. I held him until he wanted to nap and put him back with his littermates.

I need to get a better scale – mine does not hold the babies well enough now (they are too big) so I can’t keep a good tab on their weight. But to me, he feels a little lighter today. If so, that’s not good.

I know kittens can go downhill so fast. In a bottle litter last year (orphaned at birth) I lost a kitten at this same age – nearly 4 weeks old. He was the biggest and heaviest, and suddenly he was fading away. I took him to the vet, was given Amoxi drops and he perked up. But within 24 hours he had died. I was devastated. I had an autopsy done just to see if there was anything going on, but nothing remarkable.

I am so scared something like that will happen to this guy.

I am wondering what you think. Is there something I should/could do to help boost him up?

The litter has been on KMR powder that I mix with goat’s milk. They have all been doing super good until this kitten last night.

Sorry for the long post. I’m worried!

Thank you!

jcat
    Participant

BellaKitten, hopefully somebody else will be on soon with some good advice for you. You seem like a wonderful kitten mother, with loads of knowledge and experience, and I think that you are right to be worried. Sometimes kittens become less active for a day or so because they’re going through a growth spurt, and sometimes their weight stays the same or maybe they might lose a little on the occasional day but the trend, and the weight from week to week, should always be upwards. If he actually feels lighter, you’re right, that’s not a good sign.

Unfortunately, as you probably also know, the mortality rate for abandoned unweaned bottle-fed babies is very high and so everything can seem to be going right and then suddenly, for no known reason, the babies just crash and don’t make it. It’s called fading kitten syndrome just to give it a name when things don’t go right and no one knows why. It’s hard for vets at this age too as there are not many tools for them with tiny kittens– tube feeding and antibiotics and sub_Q fluids are about all they have that they can use and antibiotics themselves can cause life-threatening diarrhoea at this stage and remove stomach flora so they have to have a very good reason to use them. Nonetheless, I think your gut instinct is right, and the worrying thing is that if one in a litter starts to fail, the others often follow. I would get them all to the vet as soon as possible for reassurance. If the vet can’t help, at least you will know that you are doing all you can and that whatever is going on is something you have no control over. Don’t give up hope, it might be just a temporary blip in the process, but catching it early is definitely a good thing.

Kittyzee
    Participant

You might try some pedialyte in with the formula mix to add electrolytes and sugars to him that he lost during his bout with diarrhea. A lot of times medicines can mess with kittens’ tummies and make them feel not hungry. That’s really not a good thing with kittens because they go downhill very fast if they don’t eat. Keep trying to feed him and get something into his tummy. He needs to stay hydrated at least and the pedialyte should help.

BellaKitten
    Participant

Thank you SOOOO much for your replies! I will do all things suggested.

I am hoping things will work out well for these babies. They are precious, of course. With fading kitten syndrome, is it something where they are seemingly healthy and vigorous and then suddenly go downhill and die?

I just realized that I wrote the syringe size is 15ml. Oh, my. I meant to write 5ml!!!

Thank you again for replying – I truly appreciate it. I will keep you posted!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi BellaKitten,

Thanks for taking care of this trio of kits. KMR liquid may exacerbate diarrhea and KMR concentrate the same with constipation. So I recommend Goats’ milk. The liquid is in the diary section and the concentrated is in the baking aisle. You mix the concentrate 1:1 with water. It has probiotics and nutrients to help balance their digestive systems. It is low in lactose so is gentler on them. Many TDKers swear by Goats’ milk.

Do this as soon as you can get to the grocery store and continue the pedialyte.

PG

BellaKitten
    Participant

Thank you SOOO much, Pussigato! I’ve had the babies on goat’s milk since they arrived, but I’ve been mixing the KMR in to it :3/4 goat’s milk and 1/4 water. I’m starting to reduce the the KMR so they will be on only goat’s milk. That stuff is AMAZING in every way!!! It’s just that I was worried that using only goat’s milk may not meet all of the kitten’s nutritional needs. But in your experience, you’ve seen it used successfully without adding anything else? I just wasn’t confident enough to do that, but it sounds like the way to go.

I so appreciate your reply…I’m really pulling for these babies!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pure Goats’ milk is just fine and will provides the necessary nutrients. We’re pulling for these wee kits too!

BellaKitten
    Participant

Wonderful!!! That puts my mind at ease. Thank you!!! 🙂

BellaKitten
    Participant

Hi! Just wanted to give an update on our little foster kitty.

He is doing better today!!!!! Last night he was hungrier and more active. He started eating better and better for his feedings, and now this morning he ate 7 of his syringes. Yahooo!!! He is bright and alert again. 🙂

I am wondering if it is what Kittyzee said about his tummy being “off” from the meds (Albon). He finished his last dose just yesterday morning. I did not connect the loss of appetite and feeling off to the meds. I started thinking about that point during the day, and when he picked up last night again I really started to think that was a big part of his behavior yesterday.

I’m sure the pedialyte helped too (thank you!), and everything all together made the little guy feel much better today.

Thank you! I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my pleas. 🙂 I hope this was our only blip and they are on the way to becoming big, healthy, kitties. They are 4 weeks old today!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Congrats BellaKit–nothing makes a Meowmy feel better than when her kits are eating and sleeping and pooping! I can remember feeling so desperate for help and advice when raising litters of kittens and no one to help. The vet wasn’t much better either, and had no answers. Only after successes amd failures and finding this wonderful site have I learned what works and what doesn’t. That doesn’t mean that you don’t have setbacks, just fewer of them. So glad your kittens are doing well–my thoughts and prayers for continued good progress. Keep us posted!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thrilled with the update BellaKitten! Gentle hugs to your whole gang. 🙂

BellaKitten
    Participant

Hi All –

The babies are still going strong and doing well!!! I am sooooooo happy!!!! They are beginning to play with toys and really notice us now. Love it!

Getting ready to feed them…AGAIN! LOL. It is so nice to have happy, hungry babies. 🙂

Thank you again soooo much!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.