2011 Thanksgiving Info to Share

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 2011 Thanksgiving Info to Share

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Jeankit
    Participant

Let us begin a new fun thread to share with Thanksgiving ideas, trivia, fun/furry remembrances or hilarious anicdotes from years passed!

Plus if you care to add what you are thankful for…here is a start!

BTW…I am thankful for this site and opportunity to share these fun links with you, my fun furry TDK Family…next!

Here is a trivia quiz I spotted when searching the net today!

http://www.brownielocks.com/thanksgivingtrivia.html

choyt11
    Participant

i am working on election day so i can have the day after thanksgiving off

and i may go to a community dinner in binghamton run by volunteer high schoolers

JerseyJoan

Well that’s a very fun and interesting trivia page – I learned a lot! One of the selections on question #10 was my Grandmother’s maiden name!

SoxsMom
    Participant

I understand that a new thread is nice, but I sure love the other Thanksgiving thread–many memories.

Jeankit
    Participant

Hmm, I totally agree with the memories and fun sharing of the passed Thanksgiving Threads. Those can never be replaced. Sometimes a fresh start in the same manner is a way of honoring those memories. Wishes for all to enjoy preparing for this wonderful time of year.

Shelley
    Participant

Not sure which thread it was on but someone was looking for an easy dessert so I will offer up this one–we always called it “Cherry Goop” but I am sure you could come up with a classier name than that! Make a double recipe of graham cracker crust (found on most any graham cracker box) use a 9x13x2 cake pan, put the graham cracker crust in that, bottom and sides and bake according to instructions. Let cool. Meanwhile use 2 bricks of cream cheese or two of the large containers of already whipped cream cheese and fold in one extra large or two regular containers of Cool Whip. If you use the bricks, you have to add some milk and soften it so it will stir in. Spread this mixture over the graham cracker crust (it will be a thick layer). Then use two cans of cherry pie filling and spread over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate if not serving fairly soon. That is it. You can use other types of pie filling, strawberry, blueberry, whatever you like. It turns out to be a sort of cheesecake dessert without all of the fuss. It is great in the summertime too as it will hold for a long time in warmer weather. If you are creative you could probably gussy it up with some green garnishes and it would be pretty for Christmas too!

Shelley
    Participant

Oh and by the way, you don’t have to be real fussy about the ratio of cream cheese to cool whip–more cream cheese makes it a little heavier and more whipped cream makes it lighter.

JerseyJoan

Shelley, that sounds fantastic – thanks!

paulajeanne
    Participant

Shelley, I’ve made that but with the already prepared crust! I was so excited to discover the containers of the cheesecake stuff already whipped up. For potlucks, I fill the crust with the cheesecake, then the cherry pie filling, then the cool whip on top. Will have to try mixing the cool whip in the cheese stuff first. Always goes over great. For the non baker like me, it’s an ideal dessert to take.

Moonshadow_NZ

Great Thanksgiving trivia JK, we don’t celebrate it here so I thought I would try it and see how much knowledge I have managed to absorb over the years from TV and books. I managed 39/80 so I’m wondering just how good my absorption rate is. It was very interesting and informative, thanks JK.

AV
    Participant

MS, even though you guys don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, you could make a ‘Thanksgiving’ meal next time you and KKs family get together…… might be a fun way to experience our traditional dishes like Turkey with stuffing, yams, squash casserole, etc.

………… I’d love to have a description of one of your special holidays that has traditional dishes, and try them……….. that would be a fun way of sharing cultures and traditions!……….. and anyone else around the world that has special holiday………….. Spain, Britian, Dennmark…… wouldn’t that be fun?

LadyKat of IA
    Participant

Shelley, your “Cherry Goop” sounds like what a local store makes for the dessert department and calls “our own cheesecake.” The only difference is that the store makes it like a dessert cup with graham cracker crumbs on the bottom, then the mixture, and topped off with chocolate syrup and pecan nuts. I absolutely love it, but they sell out fast.

This is something I must try. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jeankit
    Participant

Whew, just looked at the calendar again…have a few extra days according to my last report of 2 wks away from last week, so we have a bit more time to get organized! Mmm, the cherry goop sounds yummy. My Aunt makes a lemon dessert that is similar! Still enjoy this funny one: http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/tag/turkey

krazikat
    Participant

LOL@cheezburger!!! i can’t believe they trusted that kitty to be so close to the turkey.

Jeankit
    Participant

Heard on radio chatter this morning about cooking your turkey in the ?Dishwasher! News to me, but maybe this will come up as a new tradition!!

http://www.appliance.net/2009/cook-your-holiday-turkey-in-the-dishwasher-1539

Nirmal
    Participant

great idea! when i was younger, we used to have big thanksgiving day celebrations. the one year, i slept over at my grandparents and ate too many oranges. i woke up with bumps. i had to get allergy meds, but it cleared up, and i was able to enjoy my birthday celebration that was always mixed with turkey day because it’s on the 30th. i also remember being in the hospital and coming home for the day to celebrate (another year). i got a load of beatles albums but couldn’t enjoy them because i had to go back to the hospital. (i did get to enjoy them when i came home) i look back to my cares then, and my cares now. and now, i’m thankful for my mr. catface, thankful for new york city, thankful for the challenges in my life, although i wouldn’t mind not having some of them. i’m also grateful for those who have helped me thru the hard times, and most all grateful for u guys!

Nirmal
    Participant

just notcie the cook turkey in dishwasher thing…all i ngtta say is O.M.G. that beats frying it…sorta. but only in weirdness.

JerseyJoan
    Jeankit
    Participant

Counting down with you Joan…8 days with fun turkey trivia too!

Jeankit
    Participant

Always have eggnog left over during the holidays!

Spotted this Eggnog Bundt Cake Recipe in the paper the other day, it looks easy esp for me as my style of fussing which is not much!

1 18 1/4 oz boxed spice cake mix

1 4 serving pkg instant pudding as vanilla or cheescake Pud/pie filling mix

1 c nonfat vanilla yogurt

1/4 c canola oil

1 c light eggnog

1 egg

3 egg whites

1 1/3 c toasted pecans

Powdered sugar for dusting on top

Preheat oven 350. Coat nonstick Bundt pan w/cooking spray. (Can use a large loaf pan w/ 5-10 extra min of cooking.)

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, yogurt, oil, eggnog, egg and egg whites in large bowl. Mix until creamy.

Stir in pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 min. until wood pick in center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. When cool dust w/powdered sugar.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.