2 week old kittens, constipation and irritation

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old kittens, constipation and irritation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Caroline
    Participant

Hi TDK,

I’m fostering my first bottle babies and quite possibly have first time mom syndrome. According to when the lady found them these babies are about 17 days old, but the way they’ve been more active made me think they might be slightly older than that.

The first few days they were pooping quite well, the lady who found them had been feeding them with the canned premixed KMR. I used that the first few days until it ran out, they pooped fine yellowish and soft-serve consistency sometimes quite a lot. The shelter gave me powdered KMR and the kittens seem to be quite constipated now.

After two days I emailed the vet and according to her suggestions I used my last can of the premixed stuff and then diluted the powder a little more. When that didn’t work I scoured the internet and decided to add a few drops of mineral oil to their bottle. Day before yesterday they did poop a little, one was dry enough to crack in half but then was soft again. Now the poop is fairly soft, but a really tiny amount and fairly mucousy which has me concerned.

They also scream bloody murder when stimulated. I’m not sure if they’re straining or raw (I’ve applied a little Vaseline to try to soothe the area) but I notice that sometimes their anus will bulge outward. I’ve emailed the vet and am waiting to hear back but any advice in the meantime would be comforting! They’re still gaining weight and active and otherwise happy kitties outside of bathroom time.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Ah yes, the age old liquid KMR versus powdered KMR, which IMHO the first makes poop runny, the second constipation occurs. You are doing what you should; diluting the powdered KMR and adding olive oil drops to it. You can switch to goat’s milk (or supplement every other feeding) and I have done both. It is a complete food for them so you don’t have to worry. It’s cheaper, plus does NOT cause constipation or diarrhea. You can find it in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery, or in the baking aisle in cans as condensed, or powdered. It’s also full of probiotics and is good for their immune system.

Most kittens fuss about being stimulated and some put up quite a loud squall and squeal. Guess it depends on the kitten, but they rarely fuss when peeing. I’ll post a couple of links for you too on general care and one for the ‘triangle method’ of pooping a kitten.

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Caroline
    Participant

Thanks for your reply!
    I’ll check out goats milk, some probiotics can’t hurt. I’m taking them with me to visit my mom who is 2 hrs away from my vet so I’m hoping the vet will be able to see them tomorrow morning just for my own peace of mind.

Generally they don’t fuss if they just have to pee, but it seems like each time now they end up straining and they cry and kick quite a bit. Most people seem to do it with them on their backs, but for whatever reason my babies do noot like that one bit. I also tried my vet’s suggestion of massaging their bellies and then stimulating them under warm running water. They’ll happily take the tummy rubs but the water is met with more squalling.

I’ve introduced a litter box with non-clumping newspaper litter and put one of the cotton balls with their pee in it. I know it’s not generally until 3 weeks but I think they may be a little older than 2 weeks based on their activity level weight. Just trying to get them familiar with it.

Caroline
    Participant

Holy poo, I just tried the triangle method on Meno. I had tried it before, but this time I could see a little poo on the cotton ball. He pooped one long continuous poop, it’s not super hard but not as soft as I think it should probably be either, but at least I’m sure that gave him some relief.

Both of them do still wail and squirm even when peeing, so I’m wondering if they don’t have a UTI of some sort. They’re both boys so I know that’s not uncommon. Praying our volunteer vet can see them tomorrow, the lady who found them brought them to the animal control shelter where I picked them up, but the staff that day were super rude/unhelpful and I don’t think looked at them at all. Knowing they’re healthy would put my mind at ease

Anonymous
    Inactive

Concats! We get excited about poo too!

Kittyzee
    Participant

I don’t think you need to worry, although having them checked out is good for everyone. The triangle method does work wonders, just like goat’s milk does. Kittens this young just don’t like the way we humans stimulate them, even though it works and they do put up quite a loud noisy fuss sometimes. Congratulations on the poop! Keep us posted!

Caroline
    Participant

True to Kittyzee’s comment, a few days on the canned formula and their poop was softer, a few more days and now it’s rather runny. I’ve switched them back to powdered for now, and starting to add a little wet food to the mix since their little teefies have come in.

They were spitting up a little, but the vet told me not to worry about that. She’s getting me some dewormer soon, so hopefully that helps! I think maybe the weaning may help too, Meno was drinking a full bottle of the formula on his own, so he may have spit up on account of his tummy being too full.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!!

Devan
    Participant

Quick back story.. my mama cat had 5 kittens and abandoned them wanted nothing to do with them so we took over on the 2nd day bottle feeding. Thought was doing great which in general pretty much are . Eating great peeing good and started out doing well with bowel movements but recently priced their little bums are red and inflamed and sorry if tmi but almost looks as if puss is coming out please any advice. They are 18 days old today and I jus love them so much I can’t loose them now. Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

iCat
    Participant

Hi TDK, i am new to this site, i really really need help now, my cat has been constipated for months now, she is 5 months old, I’ve done enema at the vet, but she is still having the same problem, her poop stuck halfway in her anus, everytime she tries to poop she cries out loud, i really dont know what to do now, ive tried natural remedy like given her 2 ml of coconut virgin oil to smooth the feces, and it only worked the first day i gave her where she pooped a lot, but thats it, and the last time she squeezed it all out was last week on monday, I don’t know what to do anymore sorry for my bad english

iCat
    Participant

Oh and, she is on wet food for more than two weeks now

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.