2 Week Old Kitten Won't Pee Even After Stimulation

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 Week Old Kitten Won't Pee Even After Stimulation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sweetling
    Participant

Hello! I have a little two week (turning three this Tuesday) kitten who simply won’t pee. I’ve tried stimulating it with a warm, damp washcloth, a cotton ball, nothing seems to be working. We’ve had this problem since yesterday, when we took it in. We ended up going to the vet and after half an hour she managed to get it to eliminate both number one and two. All the parts are there, but the vet things it was holding it in due to stress.

The little kitten was abandoned by its mother and has an eye infection, which we’re treating with eye drops. Its also sneezing a bit, so we’re taking it to the vet again as soon as possible to get that checked.

Today I’ve tried stimulating it three separate times, but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong? I’m worried sick about its poor little bladder!

Kittyzee
    Participant

I wish I could help you with this, as all of the kittens I have raised have had more trouble pooping than peeing. They pee easily when stimulated usually as I hold them then with my other hand use a warm washcloth to gently rub their genitals. Pee either drips out or (in my last kitten) squirts out like a water pistol! 🙂

Make sure she is getting enough formula for hydration and since she is approximately 3 weeks old, try putting her in a low litter tray with plain clay unscented non clumping litter. She may not be ready for it yet, but then again she just might like peeing on her own. Each kitten is an individual and has their own likes and dislikes.

She may need an antibiotic also if she is sneezing. The vet will want to listen to her chest and lungs. If the eye drops don’t do the trick, there is a triple antibiotic ointment that works well–I used it on my kitten and his eyes are clear now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mix pedilyte with her formula instead of water. It gives her body the electrolytes and hydration she needs so this may allow her to pee normally.

Sweetling
    Participant

Hi, all! Thank you so much for your advice! We aren’t sure if its a boy or a girl yet, so she/he is called Sweetling. We tried stimulating her with a soft dry tissue instead and she finally peed. I’m so relieved! 🙂

No poop yet, but she did pass wind. She’s burped after every feeding, so I’m not sure why that happened.

The vet prescribed something for her. We gave the first dose today. The eye drops seem to be working, thank goodness!

If it isn’t too much trouble, I dearly need advice with something. I live in a developing country, so sadly things like kitten fourmla are completely unavailable, and online shipping fees are insane (120$+ just for a 20 cent keychain!). Because of this, it’s nearly impossible to care for any abandoned or orphaned animal properly, and most people don’t even value them as living things and prefer to leave them to die or kill them. The only safe thing I can give this little kitten is powdered goat’s milk, which she drinks happily, but I know she needs more nutrition. Is there something I could add to the milk?

(I’ve asked around, but there’s no nursing cats or dogs who could adopt her into the brood.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome to TDKland Sweetling!

Many people live in areas that don’t have the access to pet food/supplies that we have in the States.

Here in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate their poop. Keep in mind if they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth. A smidgen of mineral oil in their formula can usually help them poop.

Hopefully, you can find someone with goats. You will need to pastuerize the milk and that’s easy to do:

To pasteurize milk, follow these steps:

Put milk in a double boiler or in jars in a pasteurizer or canner and heat to 165 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds.
    Cool the milk as quickly as possible, but make sure not to put the hot jars in cold water or they will break.
    Store the milk in the refrigerator.

If there aren’t any goats running around then get evaporated milk and water it down 1:1. Or if you can get Paramlat (other product names – EverFresh, Bonnita, Melrose, Longlife milk) that works as well.

Good luck and let use know how you’re doing
    PG

Sweetling
    Participant

Honestly, I can’t thank you enough! Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you for the tip about the honey.

I’m so happy to hear I’m not alone! The goat’s milk I have comes in powdered form in a tin, made from Grade A pasteurized milk. My grandmother is the one who uses it, and has been for years, so she knows how to make it. It’s a relief to hear that its alright for her!

Sweetling is asleep at the moment. I’ll check up on her after this to make sure she’s warm and comfy! There’s a soft plush dog in her box that she loves snuggling up to. 😆

Kittyzee
    Participant

The powdered goat’s milk is a miracle in a can IMO, and I use it regularly to feed orphaned kittens. I have found it to be nutritionally complete, as my last two kittens have been fed on it. It’s wonderfully easy to mix and store in the refrigerator and just pour into the bottle. I only make around a cup at a time, but my little tyke is eating it fast these days.

Sweetling
    Participant

Miracle in a can? Sweetling seems to agree. She can’t drink enough of the stuff! She’s been very enthusiastic about drinking it lately. Unfortunately, my dachsund had the same idea; she snuck up to the milk dish and lapped up the lot while we were burping the kitten!

Sweetling hasn’t pooped yet (typical!), so we’re going to the vet to sort that out. She peed on her own for the first time! In her box. On herself. In the middle of the night. Ah, well. We cleaned and dried her with warm damp cotton balls and soft tissue and changed her bedding.

Sweetling
    Participant

Hi, all! Just a quick update:

The vet believes Sweetling has Feline calicivirus. We’ve been given another syrups to help with her cough, but we’re having some trouble giving it because she squirms and wiggles, even in the ‘purrito’ wrap, and we’re worried it’ll go down the wrong way and she’ll suffocate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m glad wee Sweetling is enjoying the Goats milk (and your pup as well). To make sure she doesn’t aspirate make sure she has her belly on the floor. Don’t hold her on her back. The vet. didn’t say what sex?

Sweetling
    Participant

Don’t worry – we make sure she’s on her belly; I hold her and my mother does the feeding. She sits half up and moves forward enthusiastically while drinking, kneading at the air with her claws. If she does aspirate, what actions should be taken?

I completely forgot to mention! The vet took another look today and decided that Sweetling is almost certainly a girl! 🙂

There’s an issue going on with the poop problem. The vet examined her and said that she wasn’t pooping because all she’s being fed is milk, and advised us to mix a little wet kitten food with her next feed. We couldn’t find kitten food and phoned the vet to say so, and the vet said it was alright to give adult food instead. She took it quite eagerly with the milk, but still no poo.

I didn’t give any more food with her milk for the next feeding because I was worried about her. It’s getting quite late at night over here and Sweetling seems content, so will she be alright until we can get her to the vet again tomorrow? And is there anything I can do in the meantime to try and encourage her to poop? I feel so incompetent and silly…

JerseyJoan

Hi Sweetling! Here’s what my limited experience as well as what I learned from experienced foster people has taught me. Kittens are okay going without pooping for a few days, as their tiny bodies are using much of what they are taking in. Since that is liquid (formula), solids don’t build up right away.
    ***Experienced TDKR’s, please correct me if I’m wrong!!!***
    I kept a ‘poop log’ with my current foster, who I got when he was about 5 weeks old. For the first 2 weeks, he pooped every 3 days or so as I introduced solid foods mixed with the formula. Of course I was pretty nervous in the days between those poops!

Anonymous
    Inactive

When we have a tiny life in our hands we do feel incompetent but you’re doing just fine. As JJ said it’s not unusual for a kit to go a few days without pooping because of the lack of solid food. It shouldn’t take but a day or two after she starts solid food to poop regularly. Here’s a video on how to do the triangle method. Notice the kit is very squirmy so don’t freak out if Sweetling is fussy and squirmy, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJrSU-nqCc

Why are going back to the vet so soon?

Sweetling
    Participant

Thank you so much, you two! I was worried that she may have been constipated and needed help quickly, but it seems that isn’t the case.

Asking for a second opinion: is it alright to mix adult food with Sweetling’s milk? She seemed to like it a lot, but I don’t want to do anything that’ll put her in danger.

Oh! I’m terribly sorry for all these questions, but is it possible for her to choke on her milk if her nose is blocked? She sneezes/coughs a lot during feeding times. I’ve never taken care of a kitten with an upper respiratory infection before so I’m unsure of the correct procedure.

Thank you again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes you can mix wet food with her milk. It’s a gruel and used as a transition to a wet food diet.

I don’t know if she can choke if she has an URI. It’s uncomfortable for her eat with a stuffed nose. Check with the vet. about starting her on antibiotics to clear it up.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Make sure the adult food you give her is the pate style, with no chunks or shreds. Then add a bit of it and the juices to the bottle. Cut the end of the nipple off so she can suck it out easily. I have done this so many times with my kittens who are not old enough to eat solid foods yet on their own.

You are doing fine, and if she has an upper respiratory infection, the vet should prescribe antibiotics for it. Sometimes it doesn’t clear up right away, and if there is inflammation in the nasal passages it doesn’t take much to block those tiny passages.

Does your kitten have any other symptoms other than sneezing as I wonder why the vet thinks she has feline calcivirus? These other symptoms could be an indicator to the calcivirus:
    Loss of appetite (anorexia)
    Eye discharge
    Nasal discharge
    Development of ulcers on tongue, hard palate, tip of nose, lips or around claws
    Pneumonia
    Difficult breathing after development of pneumonia
    Arthritis (inflammation of joints)
    Lameness
    Painful walk
    Fever
    Bleeding from various sites
    She could have feline herpes, and that’s not a death sentence either, just very common in kittens before their immune systems have fully developed.

Once you introduce the solid food to her, she will probably start pooping. I would definitely introduce a litter box for her. If you get a poop from her, put it in the litter and place her in it. Take her paw and scratch through the litter. She will eventually get the hang of it.

Kittyzee
    Participant
    Sweetling
    Participant

Oh my goodness! I’m so happy to be here. I’m learning so much about taking care of this wee little squeaker and it feels very reassuring to know there’s a place I can ask for advice. I’m glad I’m doing everything okay! 😀

The wet food is Whiskas, which unfortunately does contain chunks and shreds. I don’t think there are any pate-style foods around here, but I may be able to make some by soaking dry kitten kibble in goat’s milk and giving it a good mush. Would that be good?

They don’t sell milk bottles or nipples small enough for her, so we have to feed her with a slow-moving syringe with a makeshift nipple. It works quite well. We tried a dropper before; it was a nightmare!

I double-checked her medicines: one is for coughs, and the other is the antibiotic. Her next dose is in a few hours.

The vet thinks she has calcivirus because some of the other kittens were displaying similar symptoms. They were on our roof, so we heard the sneezing. The mother cat got another one stuck on the roof today and threw a massive fuss until we noticed (clever girl); I didn’t get to see the kitten, but according to those who did it looked quite sick and had a lot of the symptoms Kittyzee described. They gave it back to her as she was in a lot of distress. She’s since relocated the rest of her kittens next door.

Thank you for the article; I’ll read it as soon as I’m done typing this out!

I’m very worried about Sweetling during feeding time. She’s too enthusiastic about being fed; she crawls and claws like crazy and drinks far too fast. Once my mother tried to remove the syringe from her on account of her frenzied suckling and she wouldn’t let go. She fell off the table, but thankfully my mother managed to grab her by the tail and pull her back in an instant. I’m so scared she’s going to either aspirate the milk or get a concussion/break her neck – we’ve already had a few close calls with the former. We feed her 7.5 Ml every three hours. Any more and she won’t drink properly. She also tends to sneeze/cough a ton during feedings (I may have mentioned that before).

One last thing that’s concerning me; she hasn’t put on a single bit of weight since we took her in despite frequent feedings – stuck at 7.4 ounces. She’s grown length-wise and her ears look bigger, but the scale shows exactly the same. It could be something wrong with the scale itself – it’s a cheap little plastic one – but I have noticed she looks smaller than normal three week old kittens normally do. Is this something that can be caused by the illness?

Kittyzee
    Participant

She may be the runt of the litter (smallest) but that doesn’t really mean that she will always be small, she just has to play catch up! She is pawing and clawing at the food because she is hungry. She may be older than what you think and she is getting food now and is telling you (by her clutching and clawing) that she is hungry. You can smash up those shreds and chunks with a spoon just so they are easier for her to eat–she’s not going to actually chew yet–but she will swallow them easier.

You can also use a spoon to put some gruel (food mixed with milk) into her mouth and see how she does with it. Some kittens take to it quickly if you put it in front of them, most don’t but they do make a mess of it and themselves. If she doesn’t like the spoon you can use your finger to put some on the roof of her mouth and let her lick it from your finger. It takes time, but you will feel better knowing that she is getting food into her tummy and she’s not going to aspirate it. Once she starts eating and her tummy starts to fill, she will slow down and not act to frenzied.

I hope you found a lot of good information in the articles that I gave you. 🙂

Sweetling
    Participant

Those articles were very helpful indeed! Thank you. I think Sweetling’s lack of weight gain may be because of her illness.

She really enjoyed the gruel! And we managed to give it to her without any choking incidents, for once. We tried both the spoon and the finger, but she wasn’t interested at all. Today she was suckling on my dachsund, who has started to produce milk for her. They both seemed content with the arrangement. I’m a bit worried though, because my dachsund only recently finished a course of treatment for a blood parasite infection and we haven’t gotten the last blood test to check if it’s completely gone. The vet assured that it can’t be passed through milk, but everywhere else seems to say it can. So I think it’s best if she doesn’t suckle from her until further notice.

Sweetling sneezed a tiny bit of milk-like substance out of her nose after the last feeding today, even though she swallowed every bit of milk. We’re taking her and the dog to the vet tomorrow, just to get them both checked out and make sure Sweetling hasn’t aspirated any milk, as well as the blood test for the dog and a check on the pooping problem.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.