2 week old kitten with diarrhea and irritated bottom

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old kitten with diarrhea and irritated bottom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Katie
    Participant

Hi, I recently took in a newborn that was found near the school I teach at. She has been doing well, but yesterday she started having mild diarrhea. I have already been diluting her KMR formula slightly. She also has an irritated bottom to the point where there was a little blood last night. I put vaseline on it and it seems better today, but she’s still having diarrhea. It’s not extremely runny like liquid but it’s loose like jelly. Every time I go to feed her, she’s already went on herself. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing… I’m just afraid she will get dehydrated. Should I get pedialyte to give her? Any advice is appreciated! I’m a first timer at having a kitten this young (have bottle fed before but they were older) and I don’t want to lose her so I’m worrying about every little thing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Katie,

Welcome to TDKland. We’re the furriest forum around.

Thank you for rescuing this kit. Without you, this wee girl had no chance.

Kittens and their needs are not much different from a baby.

If you haven’t already, make a nest for her. She cannot regulate body temperature so she must be kept warm. I think the best way is to place a heating pad, on LOW, covered by a towel and one of your unwashed shirts. Be sure to provide a “cool” spot for her to crawl if she gets too warm. She may get lonely, I recommend getting her a soft squishy toy and put it in her nest. Wee kits usually snuggle up to the toy. It will give her comfort and extra warmth.

Two things-KMR concentrate has a tendency to give kits constipation and liquid KMR does the opposite. Here in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite. Some mineral oil in her formula can usually help her poop. You can put a dab of Neosporin on her bum if she gets sore.
    A smidgen of mineral oil in her formula can usually help them poop. You can put a dab of Neosporin on her bum if she gets sore.

Here are some links with good information on raising your wee kit:

Here’s another link:

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Good luck
    PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

Check out the links that PG provided. If she continues to have diarrhea, I would take her to the vet. There could be something else going on, especially parasites such as worms or the other one celled parasites such as coccidia or giardia. They will check her feces as both require medications but are different for different parasites. You can even put desitin (like you put on a human baby) on her bottom to protect it from wetness and the burn of diarrhea.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.