2 week old kitten not pooping. Tried everything you can think of.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 2 week old kitten not pooping. Tried everything you can think of.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I have been using this site to help me wit my foster babies for a while now, but have not actually registered until today. I could really use some advice about the kittens. Last Friday I rescued three 5 day old kittens. I’ve been nursing them ever since. Their awful owner didn’t want to fix the mama so she got pregnant and they dumped the babies at the shelter. So frustrated wit that part…. but there is another issue.
    One of the kittens hasn’t pooped in three days. I have tried the triangle method,the water method, the cotton, the cloth… rubbing the belly and bottom. Nothing works. She is congested and has gotten much better, but she is not eating on her own. I am force feeding her with a syringe.
    What can I give her to make her poop? I feel so bad for her. Her little tummy is turning blue. I don’t know whats going on in there 🙁

Thank you so much in advance.

JerseyJoan

Hi Maria – Have you tried adding few drops of mineral oil to her food? That might make her poop slide. Also, she’s probably not eating because she can’t smell her food, sorry you have to go the force-feed route, but hey, we do what we have to do.
    Her wee blue belly sounds scary. You may want to call the vet about that, however, it’s probably related to the non-poop.

(FYI, the site is going to be down soon while some background work gets done, 12-48 hours.)

Good Luck

Maria
    Participant

To be honest, I’ve never heard of mineral oil. Is it this one? http://beautyhuile.blogspot.com/2011/03/demystifying-mineral-oil.html (link to the photo).
    I have been doing a lot of research and few people suggested to use coconut oil. I feed all my animals coconut oil with their food. So I gave some to the baby as well. Hopefully it helps. Thank you!

JerseyJoan

Seems to be. Mineral oil is clear, watery and oily.
    I’ve never heard of feeding them coconut oil; it doesn’t sound like a bad thing. Good luck – please keep us posted!

Jeankit
    Participant

Warm welcome to TDK Maria & little newbie.
    Here is a chat link that may be helpful too:

Cats and constipation,what to give to a cat as a laxative

mineral oil i not a good idea guys.

http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html

Mineral oil – Plain liquid mineral oil should never be delivered orally to a cat. Mineral oil is tasteless and odorless and too easily aspirated into the lungs. This can result in lipoid pneumonia which can be deadly. Do not give a cat liquid mineral oil by mouth.

Maria
    Participant

Thanks! I looked into mineral oil and it didn’t seem right to me… instead I used coconut oil in their food. It didn’t work too well. So I performed an enema on her itty bitty body. I felt so awful, but it worked. She started eating after. For the first time in 3 days, she pooped and ate on her own! Super happy foster right here!. 😀 😀 😀

no prob, you can also try giving them a little oily tuna. im glad she’s feeling better!

JerseyJoan

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry, I thought it had been suggested somewhere. Thanks for correcting me, Nirmal, and helping Maria.
    So glad things are looking up, Maria. Taking note if the coconut oil.

it’s ok joan! i had to look it up myself to unsure i was giving accurate advice. i’m glad i 9sometimes) know what i’m doing! we are all a BIG team here, and it’s great cuz we help each other ;p

Kittyzee
    Participant

It was me who suggested mineral oil, my vet told me to use it. I had good luck with it. Sorry if I gave bad advice, but I would think anything aspirated into the lungs would not be healthy especially for a tiny kitten. I have always tried to prevent that by not feeding them on their backs. I mentioned mixing a couple of drops in the bottle with the formula, not strait oil into the mouth.

kittyzee, it’s not your fault. soemtimes even vets, like any doctor have good intentions but are not perfect with advice. it’s always best to do a google search JUST to make sure. it’s almost like a DIY second opinion. ;p

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.