2 week old kitten not eating or pooping.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old kitten not eating or pooping.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kittyzee 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gemma
    Participant

Hi, I’ m new here so sorry if this is in the wrong section or something. I’m not quite sure how forums work yet haha.

Around 4 days ago we found a tiny kitten outside my old school lying in the middle of the road. She was almost hit by a bus but we managed to get her in time. She didnt have her eyes or ears open and was cold, we took her to the vets who estimated she was 4-5 weeks old. Obviously not true, they also told me she was a boy. After looking it up online I realized he, is actually a she and so I named her Boo. I also determined she was around 6 days old when we found her.
    Now she is 10 days old and has not pooped once since I have had her. I will stimulate her and she will urinate fine, but I cannot get her to poop. I took her to the vets thinking she may be constipated due to the switch to formula, however he said she isn’t as her abdomen is not large or hard. He said at this age she will be absorbing most of what I give her, however all other kittens poop at this age so why not this one?
    I’m syringe feeding her on royal canin babycat milk replacer and she’s getting around 5ml every 3 hours. However she is also very reluctant to feed. She will not bottle feed, however she does try to nurse from my fingers and clothes so i know she wants to. To feed her I have to wrap her in a towel and drop milk into her mouth, but she will scream non-stop. She definitely isnt lethargic either as she likes to crawl everywhere.

Any advice on how to encourage her to eat and poop would be much appreciated, thanks!

Kittyzee
    Participant

I am posting a link on how to poop a kitten using the triangle method. Also some links on hand rearing kittens. Is there any way you have access to another vet in your area? There are a lot of vets out there who do not know a lot about very young (newborn) kittens. They have to be kept warm (a heating pad wrapped in a towel in the nest set on low) and a place to crawl off if they get too warm. The HAVE to poop. I understand the vet saying she is using everything for nutrition in the few few days, but not 10. She sounds impacted, and a vet who can do an enema to get this first hard poop out that knows what he/she is doing is probably your best bet. You can still keep trying though, add a few drops of olive oil to her formula too. This will soften the poop that is in there. Also, I would switch her over to goat’s milk as it’s full of probiotics for her gut and tummy and keep this from happening again. It’s in the refrigerated milk section, and also in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed, so add water 1 to 1. Keep us posted on her progress!!
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Gemma
    Participant

I tried the triangle method last night and still couldn’t get anything out of her. However when I woke up for her 6am feeding there was one very hard poop in her box. I then stimulated her as I do before every feeding and she pooped some more, this time it was much softer.
    Thank you so much!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Success! I knew you could do it!! We here at TDK celebrate poop!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.