2 day old kittens, young mom disinterested in caring for them.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 2 day old kittens, young mom disinterested in caring for them.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Pamsmews
    Participant

Hello good people at TDK! Here’s today’s update on Fuzzy and China: That Fuzzy girl amazes me. She is really getting the hang of mothering, and enjoys it more and more. She continues to nurse her kitties, groom them and be attentive. She takes more breaks than does China, but far less mewing is heard from her babies, and she has stayed with them all night for two nights now. Her rear nipples have softened up (warm compresses & gentle massage), and the babies are beginning to use them. How quickly things change, which demonstrates how quickly things could spell disaster for a moma and her babies. I thank you all once again for helping me avert disaster, with compassionate and sound, good advice, expressed so quickly and clearly. China and Fuzzy are eating well. Fuzzy looks terrific, as though nothing has happened. China looks a little tired. Her coats natural sheen has not yet returned to its shinny glow and appears thinner. Don’t worry, I’ll keep on keeping a close eye on everybody. The vet is literally just around the corner. Out of necessity, I don’t go running there with my animals for every little thing, but they know me and mine. Please, don’t any of you hesitate to tell me if I should take someone there to be properly examined.If they need to go see the vet, they are going. I’ll just have to do what ever it takes to afford it. I’ve never had an experience like this before. It is indeed like watching a movie, one that has truly enriched me. I’m getting ready to snap some photos, very soon. I’ll keep you posted. With loving gratitude, Pam

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Good news that the mamas and babies are all doing well. I hope the vet will give you a discount on getting them all neutered and spayed when they are old enough. The two mama cats can probably be fixed in a month or two.

Bobosmom
    Participant

Wow, having 3 kittens born in your arms is quite the shocker and yet, an absolutely wonderful experience. Those mama cats must really trust you. Bless you for helping the ladies in need.

Jeankit
    Participant

Aw, paw up as high five…kudos for being the meowmy of the new fur family!

Pamsmews
    Participant

Hello Friends! I thought you might like a China and Fuzzy + 10 babies progess report. Both mamas are doing very well. They are eating like horses, 3-4 times a day, with snacks available around the clock. China’s coat is looking better already. I’ve set up a mama cat cafeteria in my bedroom (for my own convenience), and they love it. While they have different approaches to mothering, based on how much both litters have grown, they are both doing a fantastic job. All 10 babies have grown significantly, are content, well nursed, and beautiful. Since the mamas are black, I’m curious about feline genetics. There isn’t a black kitten in the bunch. China has three pure white kits, and 2 light battleship grey. Two of the white babies have very faint shading on their little faces, like a siamese or himalayan. Three of Fuzzy’s babies are grey. Their heads are darker, verging toward charcoal gradually fading to light grey. The 4 th is a future grey tiger kitty, I think and the 5th baby is a darker shade of grey with a white stripe on her nose, and a spot of white on her chest. All 10 look like they’re related, I would bet they have the same father. There is only one mature Tom who comes around that I know of, and he’s all black with a white patch on his chest. He’s really wild, totally feral. Nobody can get near him and so he’s not neutered. I’ve tried trapping him but always end up with some other critter. I would like to learn about feline genetics and would like hearing from all who know something about how it works, and or receiving links or referrals on the subject. Also if any one knows how to catch the mature Tom, all suggestions are appreciated.

ecbrown
    Participant

What great news! I don’t know about the genetics…but it is fascinating that there aren’t any black kittens. They sound beautiful….I’ll take one of each. You may want to start a new thread with the question about catching the Tom. Seems like there are people with a lot of great experience around here…but a new thread with a title about catching the Tom might catch their attention better. Thanks for the update on China, Fuzzy and crew!

Kiplings_cat
    Participant

Hi Pam. Glad to hear that all moms and kittens are doing well.

I’m including a couple of links on cat coat color genetics; they are pretty technical/require some understanding of genetics though and I don’t know your background.

http://fanciers.com/other-faqs/color-genetics.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_coat_genetics

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/155/3/999

Everyone has two copies of each gene; one from mom, one from dad. Dominant: only one copy of the gene is needed to produce the trait. Recessive: two copies are needed to express the trait. So, China carries a recessive longhair gene, which she passed to her daughter, and Fuzzy got a second longhair gene from her father, so she is longhaired. Grey color is caused by a recessive gene that “dilutes” the black pigment; each mom must have one copy and so must the putative dad to produce grey kittens. Dad carries the dominant white-spotting form of the gene (he is spotted), so each kitten gets a 50% chance of receiving the spotting allele from him. The shading sounds like “pointing” which is produced by a recessive temperature-sensitive albino allele. Have fun genotyping your kittens!

Pamsmews
    Participant

Thank you for the kitty genetics “101-A” quick course and the links. You presented the information so clearly , and further piqued my interest, My education in science goes back to my college studies. I was a dance major, with a minor in psychology, during the early to late1970’s. I’ve had a life long interest in fossils, and rocks, and anthropology, and paleontology, but I’ve not had the benefit of college course studies. I’m self taught, having read alot and learned from those who know far more than I, and like you are willing to share. I can always access a scientific dictionary for easy reference. I’m enjoying the internet immensely, and this 4G mobile device is amazing. I can’t wait to genotype the babies and mamas, aunts and uncles, et al. Thank you for your generous response. Happy Easter!

Moonshadow_NZ

Pam, I’ve been busy and had not read your updates until now, It’s great to hear that both Mamas and all 10 kitties are well and growing and coping. You’ve done a fantastic job keeping the mamas fed and in good condition so they can look after the babies. Yay Fuzzy for the maternal instincts kicking in.

jcat
    Participant

It is, it’s terrific news! Wow, you have quite a handful there!

ladysky61
    Participant

Cute update!

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

I really, really, really want to see some pictures. They all sound so cute.

Besides all the info the others already gave you about genetics, there’s the added complication that each kitten in the litter could have a different father. You’d be surprised how far away a Tom will travel when he smells a girl cat in heat. And the mama can mate and conceive with more than one Tom.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.