2 day old kittens, young mom disinterested in caring for them.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 2 day old kittens, young mom disinterested in caring for them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Pamsmews
    Participant

So glad to have found your site. Two nights ago a mostly wild mother cat and her now almost grown kitten (approx.10 months old) I call “Fuzzy” came to me for help. The momma cat was going to have babies, soon, but apparently needed a place to do soon. I set her up in a secluded, safe area of my closet and did by while she stoicly gave birth to 5 kitts. Her daughter wanted me to hold her when I finally got to bed and even got in next to me, just as fell asleep, I was woken up, feeling a warm wetness on my arm.I got the light on and discovered that Fuzzy had given birth right there in my arms. She did this twice more before I was able to get up and grab clean towels, from the bathroom. When I returned Fuzzy was gone and 2 of her babies were in my bed.I kept them warm and looked for their mom, finally finding her with 1 kitten in a drawer under stuff on the other side of my bed. She cried two times and gave birth twice more, giving birth also to 5 kittens. Both moms are doing well, eating and drinking and all 10 babies are doing well. The problem is that Fuzzy is not at all interested in nursing or caring for her litter. I managed to fix a box she likes for her and her kits, but she has been gone all day. She is so young and overwhelmed.I put one of her babies with the mama, hours ago and she’s happily nursing. I’m about to put another one who’s mewing alot with the mom. I could sure use some advice. If worse comes to worse, can I put all 5 of young Fuzzy’s kits with mama, without causing harm to anyone? If this isn’t going to work, I need do step-by-step instructions for feeding the newborns. How do I get them to nurse from a bottle? I’m trying to anticipate their needs, I do appreciate any and all available. I think Fuzzy was trying to run away from the pain of labor. I first got to know mama 18 months ago, when I began feeding a small group of 4-5 feral and mostly wild cats who appeared on my property. I was able to get only 2 neutered by obtaining vouchers, before being hospitalized. I’m more stable now and I want to get all of these kittys neutered when they’re old enough, and hopefully placed in good homes. I will be grateful for advice on these matters, obtaining multiple spay/neuter vouchers, finding homes for cats and kittens, and anything else I may needed to know.

Buttercup
    Participant

Wow Pam you sure have your hands full. One Cat cannot feed 10 kittens. I helped a cat of mine who had 12 kittens. I handfed whoever was acting hungry every 2 to 3 hours. We have many experienced members here who have raised orphan kittens. I’ll give you some info and good websites and other members will be here to help you also. Welcome to TDK!

Buttercup
    Participant
    Skyron
    Participant

Wow, talk about a complicated situation. Long post to follow . . .

Female cats, especially in wild populations, will often nurse each others babies, as a sort of day-care system. While the others go out to hunt, one mom will stay behind to look after the babies. Usually its 2-3 generations of moms and their daughters who team up like this.

Considering that fuzzy is still young and inexperienced, her mom would naturally take over for her, but fuzzy should and probably will be back within a day or two, from where she’ll learn the ropes from her mom.

Absolutely put fuzzy’s babies in with the others, right now, asap. They need to get what colostrum mom still has left for their immune systems. It would be good if you can leave them all in there with mom, she’ll take care of them. But 10 kittens is a h*** of a strain on one mommy and one little body. If you can, get some kmr and a kitten nursing bottle to help mom with feeds. The babies should still get milk from her, but you can top them up with kmr.

It would also be really good to mix up some of the kmr for mom to drink – she’ll need the extra calories. And then please feed mom the best quality food you can afford? I know a lot of breeders who are pinched for cash will feed their queens good quality super-market brand kitten food, like whiskas kitten crunchies & wet food.

Buttercup
    Participant

Will you be able to get KMR(kitten replacement milk)? Kittens cannot be fed cows milk. KMR is available at pet stores,walmart,etc. If you can’t get KMR there is a recipe for “kitten glop” which is good to feed them and not too difficult to make.

Buttercup
    Participant

Info about kitten glop.

http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/31099

Glad you’re here Skyron 🙂

Skyron
    Participant

I learned most of what i know about hand-raising kittens from the messybeast site buttercup posted. It has step-by-step instructions for how to feed baby kittens. The only thing they dont have on there is that you have to burp the baby kittens just like human babies after each feed. Watch how mom steadily licks down their backs when they are done feeding – try to mimick that motion.

Skyron
    Participant

hey buttercup 🙂

i’ve never used kitten glop on my fosters, i’ve never had to, so i cant say how well it works. What i can say, is that my vet absolutely swears by goats milk for hand raising anything – dog, cat, squirrel, bat, whatever. If you can get hold of some, even canned, that would be good. I always buy the canisters of royal canin baby cat milk, that come with a bottle inside. Thing is, not one of my fosters have ever liked the nipples on those bottles, so i get the little ‘pet age’ ones that you get at any pet shop. I cant ever find goats milk, and as far as what we have available here in south africa, rc baby cat milk is the best.

ecbrown
    Participant

I don’t have any experience with young kittens, but I wanted to say welcome to TDK. I’m so thankful for folks like you who are out there on the “front lines” helping cats in need. Without folks like you we would not have our three “teenage” kittens who we love dearly. They were all rescues. But we didn’t do the actual rescuing…just provided a home when they were ready. Thanks for all you’re doing and good luck with the kittens. Some day they will bring lots of joy into homes like our rescue kitties have.

Moonshadow_NZ

Welcome to TDK Pam, you do have a big job on your hands with all those kitties. I hope Fuzzy returns soon to help ease the load. I can’t add anything else helpful as Buttercup and Skyron have pretty much covered it all. Good luck with the rearing and I hope you can find someone to help.

DuchessMom
    Participant

Wow….I’m a little confused in your post…Fuzzy is the daughter of your older once stray cat? And now both had ten kittens in total? Or only Fuzzy had five kittens? Now Fuzzy doesn’t want to deal with them, and her mama is taking care of them?

Anyway, buttercup and skyron have given great sites to read and learn on. They were both there, along with Jcat when I came onto this site nearly 7 months ago looking for help for one of my cats, who was only a 3 week old kitten.

Anyway, try to keep the kittens warm since it looks like Fuzzy may not be helping them stay warm. And I hope you can find someone to help in case Fuzzy doesn’t nurse at all.

Pamsmews
    Participant

I am thrilled and grateful for all of the advice, links, and warm support expressed by so many members, so quickly. I obviously came to the right place. Thank you Buttercup, Skyron, Moonshadow, EC Brown, Duchess-Gabriel, and every one for your kind help. I’ve been busy reading, preparing kitten glop, and mostly taking care of Fuzzy’s five. For clarification, here’s a recap: I Fuzzy’s moma’s name is “China”. She has a short black coat and beautiful green eyes, and gave birth to Fuzzy 10 1/2 months ago. She mysteriously showed up on my property with 4 other cats, and I started feeding them. China bonded quickly and is sweet and affectionate. Fuzzy iike her mom, is all black, but with long hair and gold eyes . From the day she was born, Fuzzy and I have shared a unique emotional bond. (more on this later). 3 evenings ago, both China and Fuzzy came to me for help, China mother and daughter gave birth that night, delivering 5 kittens each for a grand total of 10 babies. Fuzzy had 3 of her kits in my arms. I didn’t know she was pregnant, as she is still growing and has long hair. I think that Fuzzy is a bit young to be a mother, and is still traumatized from the birthing process. She is reluctant to nurse her babies,, curl up with them or care for them. She doesn’t react when they cry, and took off all day yesterday. I fortunately found your site and began rotating Fuzzy’s kits to China, one at a time to nurse.

Now, for an update

Buttercup
    Participant

Obviously China and Fuzzy knew where to come to have their babies safely Pam. 🙂

Pamsmews
    Participant

I am thrilled and grateful for all of the advice, links, and warm support expressed by so many members, so quickly. I obviously came to the right place. Thank you Buttercup, Skyron, Moonshadow, EC Brown, Duchess-Gabriel, and every one for your kind help. I’ve been busy reading, preparing kitten glop, and mostly taking care of Fuzzy’s five. For clarification, here’s a recap: Fuzzy’s moma’s name is “China”. She has a short black coat and beautiful green eyes, and gave birth to Fuzzy 10 1/2 months ago. She mysteriously showed up on my property with 4 other cats, and I started feeding them. China bonded quickly and is sweet and affectionate. Fuzzy iike her mom, is all black, but with long hair and gold eyes . From the day she was born, Fuzzy and I have shared a unique emotional bond. (more on this later). 3 evenings ago, both China and Fuzzy came to me for help, China was obviously ready to deliver a new litter. Within hours of each other, mother and daughter gave birth that night, delivering 5 kittens each for a grand total of 10 babies. Fuzzy had 3 of her kits in my arms, (ever hear of such a thing?) I didn’t know she was pregnant, as she is still growing and has long hair. I think that Fuzzy is a bit young to be a mom, and is still traumatized from the birthing process. She is reluctant to nurse her babies,, curl up with them or care for them. She doesn’t react when they cry, and took off all day yesterday. I fortunately found your site and began rotating Fuzzy’s kits with their grandma China, one at a time,to nurse.

Now, for an update: There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Fuzzy finally returned last evening, seemingly a changed woman. She got in the nest with her babies and commenced nursing and grooming them. She likes when I sit down next to her, pet and gently talk to her. She is loving and purrs, and rolls over on her back, making it easier for me to examine her more thoroughly. I observed that the two teats furthest away from her head did not seem to be letting her milk down, were too firm, and none of the kits tried to nurse from them. I applied a warm compresses last night and this morning, and will watch for improvement. She stayed with her kittens all night. I’m hopeful that she’s coming around and is going to be able to nurture her babies after all. Kitten Glop is a hit with Fuzzy and China. I will continue to provide you with up dates.

I’m using my new 4G device, given to me by a good friend 2 months ago. I’ ve had little experience using a PC, or the internet,so I’m still experiencing an uphill learning curve, which for the most part, I enjoy and find amazing. Your site is my first blog, and has been totally positive and rewarding. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you are based in NZ. I know very little about your country, but I feel strongly that the best lamb in the world comes from New Zealand. I plan to educate myself about your homeland, as I want to know more.

I will start learning how to use this devices camera and take pictures of China, Fuzzy, and the babies to share with you. The photos already posted on your site by everyone are really beautiful.

Pamsmews
    Participant

This is my third reply post: I wasn’t sure if my reply post no.1 went through, and I was unable to find it, and so I wrote reply# 2, posted it, just minutes ago, and lo and behold there it is my initial reply. Told you I’m a beginner! Thanks for your indulgence.

DuchessMom
    Participant

That is wonderful to hear Pam!!! One of my mom’s cats Hester [named after Hester Pyrnne in the Scarlet letter] was quite young when she had her first litter, she was probably around the same age as Fuzzy if not a little younger, we’re thinking she was only about 5-6 months old when she did get pregnant.

~

thank you for clearing up who had which babies, so China [older female] is nursing her babies fine, and now it seems Fluffy is nursing her babies too? That’s wonderful.

~

But back to Fuzzy she probably was just overwhelmed at first and now her maternal instinct is coming into play. When Hester came to us, she was stray and she was huge and pregnant looking for food and a place to stay. My mom trapped her and brought her back into the back bathroom and there she helped her give birth [just moving the kitten out of the way since Hester seemed to just pop them out one on top of the other.] And Hester at first was a little wary but became a very good mommmy to her four babies.

At least you kno

pucca
    Participant

Wow, what an amazing story! Mom and daughter, giving birth on the same day in the same place- possibly conceiving at the same time with the same dad?!? It’s like a Lifetime movie! My heart goes out to you and I hope this whole little family thrives! If there is nursing compeTITion (sorry) with Fuzzy and her 2 wonky nipples, maybe a vet can help if all the kittens are not seeming to get enough. This sounds like a great extended family, and China and Fuzzy must be so close to go through all this together! I love China for being such a strong mom, and Fuzzy for being a changed woman, as you say! 🙂 Maybe she had to go and confront the dad and give him a piece of her mind.

ecbrown
    Participant

It is an amazing story…so glad Fuzzy came back (a changed woman at that.) Thanks for the update. We look forward to seeing photos when you get a chance.

Skyron
    Participant

About your kitty and the milk not dopping in two of her teats – keep a very close eye on that. If it doesnt clear up in a day or so, please take her to a vet. I dont know what the proper english name is, but it translates roughly into ‘milk fever’ – where the milk that is stuck in the ducts goes off and gets infected and causes septecemia. Typical signs are lethargy, not wanting to eat, painfull teats and fever. It can be fatal, so please please please keep an eye on her. The warm compress is a good idea, you can also try to massage her teats, to get that milk moving and increase the blood supply to het teats. Like milking a cow, but more gentle, the goal is just to massage, not to milk the cat.

Skyron
    Participant

Oh, and by the way – GO FUZZY GO!! You’re going to be an awesome mommy!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.