14-week old abused kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 14-week old abused kitten

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sharonloveskitties
    Participant

Just rescued a 14-week old adorable kitten from an abusive household. Don’t know too many facts about the abuse other than he was locked in a crate for most of the time and then when he was let out he was thrown around and just not liked.

When I picked him up to put him in the crate for the drive back to my office he lunged at my face a bit my lip and drew blood. I brought him to my office and he got out of his crate and walked around growling and hissing, just checking out the place. He didn’t run and hide but walked around the various desks and people hissing and growling. He then jumped on my desk and proceeded to take it hostage. He sat behind my monitor and growl and hiss and sometimes he would lunge at my hand when I was using the mouse or keyboard. I had to get some work done, so I took a towel, picked him up and put him in a closed room so I could work. When I was done I opened the door and he was just waiting to get out and proceeded to do the same thing by walking around growling, hissing, lunging at me from time to time.

My question is, is this the behavior of an abused cat or did someone con me into rescuing a very mean kitten?

Please advise. Thank you so much!!!

Lynne
    Participant

He may have started feral, but most likely he has been so mistreated that he is just (in his mind) warning people to stay away. Be patient, don’t react, stay calm.

I had a cat who was determined to live with me, but who had been abused. I kept her because I knew she had no future at all with her attitude toward humans. She was “mean cat Sandy” for years.

She went to live with my daughter’s family while my job required me to be on the road for long periods of time. It turned out she absolutely adored my son-in-law. As an old kitty, she had her tail yanked by the baby. She rounded on her and put on her meanest face – the baby began crying. But Sandy never actually touched her! It was only a warning to do that again. A year later, Sandy died in her sleep. We all cried. In fact, I’m crying now, as I write.

dave
    Participant

I can’t say whether or not the behavior is from abuse. Give him your patience and time and he will turn around, how long it will be is up to the kitty.

I had a kitten that disliked people very much, now she’s a cat and has recently been curling up in my lap to sleep.

jcat
    Participant

Hi, SLK, poor little one. Hopefully the information in this very good article will help you:

http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/12527

And another useful thread:

http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/28496

Plus if you click on the pink tag, ‘Socializing’, you will find lots more opinions and advice on this topic. All I can say is patience, patience, patience. I don’t believe any kitten starts out mean, and nothing could be worse than the treatment this poor baby has known all its life. This little one deserves a chance, and bless you for giving it to him.

Rea5
    Participant

Without any positive human interaction, I would say he is feral now. Being kept in a cage away from people makes any animal mean. I would start by keeping him a cage/carrier, that is half covered by a blanket,set in the middle of where ever you are. That way he can feel safe (because he knows the cage) and he can get used to humans/you moving around. Then slowly opening the door and seeing if he will come out on his own. Chances are if he was abused and/or not socialized he has no idea what to make of you or thinks you will hurt him.

anncetera2
    Participant

Please be patient. This kitten needs your help and understanding, as much as you can provide.

Kittens at around 6 to 8 weeks old, start exploring in an insistent way. Your kitten hasn’t been allowed to do this.

Worse, all your kitten’s interactions with people have been negative experiences.

You will need to exert all your calm, loving kindness to help undo some of the damage that’s already been done. You are the first person the kitten’s encountered who hasn’t mistreated him. However, he’s still likely just waiting for that moment when you’ll start to mistreat him. It’s all he’s known, and he’s learned to expect that sort of treatment from humans.

He should probably only be allowed in one room of the house at this time, though it should be a room where you spend time. He should have the opportunity to watch you, and discover that being in the same room with you isn’t a bad experience.

He needs time to learn that you’ll respect his space, that you’ll leave him alone if he gives any of the appropriate signals (hissing, spitting, growling, staring, laying his ears back, etc.). He also needs time to learn that you’re around all good things (food, treats, etc.). And I think I’ve mentioned elsewhere in the site how I get kittens to respond via unsweetened, unflavored yogurt on the fingertips, while sitting on the floor with them.

I have to get to work, but please keep in mind that your poor little guy is going to need to learn to trust you – that you won’t hurt him, crate him, or mistreat him. More, that you’re the source of good things – food, treats, petting – but it’s all going to need to be on his schedule. Gentleness, kindness, and patience are all going to be needed, in abundance.

He’s learned some lessons about people already, but they’re not the ones that help a young creature learn to trust and like people. Unlearning is going to take some time, but hopefully someday all that mistreatment will just be a mostly-forgotten, faded memory.

4kittiesmama
    Participant

Is crating a kitten/cat bad? I didn’t know that if it is. We always put our kittens in the guest bath at night. They have a night light and a litter box, plus bedding, and of course toys. Is that not okay for them? We do this because while we’re sleeping they eat/chew through electrical cords.

anncetera2
    Participant

Crating kitties or cats isn’t inherently bad, and it’s not the same thing as closing them in a room by themselves as only a portion of a daily routine – especially for their own safety.

That’s a really different situation than crating a kitten, and bringing it out only to be mishandled and mistreated. In that case, I think crating the kitten would be a mostly bad idea for several reasons. First, the kitten already has not been permitted to roam, wander, and roughhouse in a normal manner, which may cause it to be frustrated and have lots of energy to burn off. Second, the kitten probably doesn’t like coming out of the crate, since only unpleasant things have happened to it outside of the crate. So while the crate itself may feel like a safe place, exiting the crate in a calm manner is not likely to happen any day soon.

To be honest, I like Rea’s idea of having a covered, darkened, open crate available as a safe place for the kitten. But the door should be removed, if at all possible. And probably nobody should try reaching into the crate to remove the kitten.

All interaction at this point would probably be most beneficial if it helps create a calming, predictable, positive experience for the kitten. That will help earn his trust, which has been largely eliminated by the past few weeks of his short life.

4kittiesmama
    Participant

Okay. I thought that is probably what you meant, but I wanted to be sure we weren’t doing something completely harmful to our little guys. It’s a nice sized bathroom and they play in there like crazy, it’s sounds like a World Wrestling Championship going on in there, so they seem happy enough.

Would bringing in another kitten maybe help this little guy out?

Rea5
    Participant

Hmmm you have to be careful bringing another cat in. It could back fire completely and him and the other cats fight. It could back fire alittle bit where he becomes comfortable with just other kitties and not humans at all. It really depends on him and what has happened to him as well.Or it could work out. I would “play it by ear” and see how everyone responds.

As far as crating its not bad if you do it occasionally. Its when the animal gets stuck in a crate all the time. My mom rescued an older Persian cat a while ago. The poor thing was sweet but spent his entire 4 year life in a small cage. She had the bright idea of getting him a cat tree…once he figured up how to get up it, he couldn’t get down. He had no idea and would cry until someone came and got him. So its stuff like that, that is really bad. Lucky for us William didnt have a mean bone in his body. He just loved everyone no matter what.

missmaris89
    Participant

Poor baby. I rescued an abused kitten too, although mine is slightly older. Mine mostly hid from everything and everyone. He still can’t go outside without begging to go back in after a few seconds. My advice and the best/most helpful advice that I have received was to be patient. Trust me, there has been times when I got so tired of having to let him come out from his hiding spot on his own when all I wanted to do was play with him. You’re doing a great thing by helping this little guy out. It will get easier.

Messy_Jessie_76
    Participant

shes just not used to having a kind household

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.