12 day old kitten breathing through mouth and won't eat

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 12 day old kitten breathing through mouth and won't eat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Connor
    Participant

I have a 12 day old kitten who needs some help. I rescued her from outside along with her brother. Her brother ended up passing but she’s been so strong until yesterday. All day yesterday she would not eat and was having to breathe through her mouth and has been so much weaker. I’m assuming she has a URI and I am taking her to the vet but I can’t until tomorrow afternoon, as my bank screwed me over and doesn’t want to help so I don’t have the money until then. I’m wondering what I can do to help with her breathing and make her eat so she can survive until tomorrow afternoon. I love this kitten so much and this is absolutely killing me.
    I’ve tried to force feed her with the syringe but she manages to spit it out, and if she doesn’t spit it all out the rest just ends up flying out of her nose. She hasn’t eaten in 24 hours. I’m just desperately trying to keep her alive.
    Before any negative Nancy’s come along and just tell me she’s dying or has fading kitten syndrome or I shouldn’t have her if I don’t have the money, I don’t want to hear it. I know all the possibilities with fading kitten syndrome but I am going to try and save her especially as I’ve gotten very close to her. And I do have the money (or rather, did.) It’s not my fault my bank screwed up this much or she would be at the vet since yesterday.
    If anyone has kind helpful words please send them my way. I tried the steamy washroom and it helped a bit with her breathing but she still would not eat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s never easy being a foster so thanks for giving her a chance. Not every kit is for our world and now brother has crossed the Rainbow Bridge where he’s playing with all the other kittahs.

I would call the vet. explain the situation and ask if you can bring her in now.

Just like people, if she can’t taste anything, she won’t eat. Also, if the only way she can breath is through her mouth, she may panic when you try to feed her.

Other than that, I don’t know what to do.

Good luck
    PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

I’ve just seen your post, and I hope your baby is still with us. When kittens have a severe URI, like PG said, they don’t smell and they don’t feel like eating either. The problem with a kitten not eating for 24 hours is their sugar levels drop and then they get so lethargic it’s hard to bring them back. If you can get some karo syrup or honey and rub on her gums to perk up her sugar levels, then try and feed her some KMR. Or goat’s milk which is much cheaper by a long run and is a perfect food. You can find it in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery, or in the baking aisle in canned condensed form or powdered form. Make sure she is warm also, as cold kittens cannot process food. A heating pad wrapped in a towel and a place for her to crawl off if she gets too warm is perfect.

You will not find any negative nancy’s here on this site. We are not vets but some of us have hand reared kittens for many years and know what hard work, heartbreak, and wonderful rewards it brings. Some of us know what it’s like to not have the funds to care for our kits too. When you do get to the vet, you could ask them how to tube feed her. You could do this a few times if you have to to get food into her until she gets strong enough to eat again. I’ll post a link that I have found helpful in raising my own kittens. Good luck–and keep us posted!

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

katzenjammer
    Participant

No one is negative here – thankfully.

I have no experience hand raising kitties. Some TDKers have loads of experience though, although none of us are vets.

If at all possible I would call your vet, or if it is after hours an ER vet, explain the situation and ask if your kit can be seen right away.

I hope that everything works out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.