11 day old kitten pooping on their own?!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 11 day old kitten pooping on their own?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    catkeeper
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here ๐Ÿ™‚ I recently (11 days ago) rescued two kittens that were rejected by their mother ๐Ÿ™ It’s been a long and hard 11 days but my little sweeties are growing soooo fast! After countless hours reading the internet and a few trips to petco I think we have everything to try to make these guys comfy. Last week I took them to the vet to have a litter check and they weighted about 4 oz. which she said was fine. After checking them out (heart rate, measurements etc). she said they were healthy and gave them deworming medicine. Well, lately my little kittens have been pooping on their own in between feedings in their bedding box. When I stimulate them sometimes they poop sometimes they don’t. Their poop is a yellowish color the consistency of soft serve ice cream (I know gross ;P) and otherwise they seem ok. They cry, they eat, they crawl, they sleep etc. Has anyone had this happened with their very young kittens? Am I just not patient enough and maybe I should stimulate them more? I would hate to make their hinies raw. If you have any suggestions I’m all ears!

Catkeeper

CatLadi23
    Participant

My Lucky is 11 days old today too! ๐Ÿ™‚ She pooped in her box a couple times, but this was only while she was having diarrhea. I called the vet & he said it is most likely her moving around in her box (she does move around a LOT) & stimulating the poop that way. It made sense, because it took VERY little stimulation to get her to poop when she was having diarrhea. The last couple days, she has had solid poop (the texture of toothpaste) & hasn’t had any accidents in her nest. I stimulate her to poop almost every time after she eats. They say to do it for about 60 seconds, just do it very gently. I was having a hard time at first doing it so long because she wiggles around a lot and doesn’t really like getting her bottom wiped. Do you use cotton balls to stimulate them? I was originally using washcloths when she had diarrhea and I think the rougher texture combined with the diarrhea was making her bottom sore. I have found that cotton balls are more gentle, thanks to the advice of someone here, and I used a tiny bit of vaseline (vet’s advice) when her bottom was sore. Good luck with your babies! ๐Ÿ™‚ Are you planning on keeping them or just caring for them until they’re old enough to be adopted?

I *think* that sometimes the dewormer can cause that but I’m not sure. Hopefully our kitten experts will show up soon.

Thank you both for rescuing these babies and giving them a chance and so glad you are on TDK!

CatLadi23
    Participant

Thank you JBBM <3

MalkiandSarai
    Participant

I use baby wipes on my kitties. I have leftover wipes from before my 3 year old son was potty trained. I rinse them out in hot water to remove any chemicals and to warm them up.. I place them in a zip baggy and put it in my pocket before I feed the kitties, that way they are still warm when the feeding is over.. I can just pull out one at a time as I need them. Although my kitties don’t poop regularly yet. I have had them about 4 days and there have only been 3 poops between them. Two of them were in their box. I have only been able to get one kitty to poop one time by stimulating her and it was the consistency of diarrhea. (They are about 12-16 days old.)

MalkiandSarai
    Participant

Probably not helpful but that’s my personal experience so far! It seems like every kitty is just different. As long as she doesn’t get dehydrated she is probably fine. And like the above mentioned, it takes a bit of time for them to get the worm medicine through their systems. I’m kind of surprised they did it that early though.. Is that normal?

MalkiandSarai
    Participant

(Sorry I mean, ‘they’ not ‘her’…) Hope everything works out with you and your little kitty babies! Sounds like you are doing everything right. ๐Ÿ™‚

catkeeper
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the replies. Over the weekend my husband and I took them to the vet to get them checked out. The vet said they seemed fine. She gave me some more deworming medicine specifically for coccidia (not entirely sure of the spelling) and said that it was just in case since their poop was bright yellow and they had the diarrhea. The kitties are thriving save for the fact that they are still pooping in their bedding box ๐Ÿ™ my poor washer has been working nonstop lol. One of them has a really swollen anus and the vet said there wasn’t much it could be done about it. The poor kitty’s butt makes me so sad. I’ll use a little Vaseline on it see if that calms the irritation down. Should I stimulate them every time I feed them? I’m scare it’s going to make the little butts even more sore. And I’ve been using cotton balls…it seems to be the best option.

And yes, we’ll probably keep the darlings. We have a 7 year old female black cat. She is a sweetie and I’m sure she’ll enjoy the company. Hopefully we can introduce her to the kitties in a few more weeks ๐Ÿ˜€

Sarah
    Participant

I know this is an old thread… but wondering if you found a resolution to your kitten pooping on it’s own? I am having the same issue and looking for some guidance. Took kitty to vet at ~4-5 days old (our best guess) when he had diarrhea, she gave dewormer and seemed relatively unconcerned since he was not dehydrated and gaining weight and active… We also switched to powdered KMR from an off brand. He is ~9 days old today and his poops became a better consistency, but for the past two days he is pooping on his own. Messing up his bedding in between almost every feeding. It is driving me nuts!! (And making me worried!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.