1 week old kitten – mucus in pee

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 1 week old kitten – mucus in pee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alyssa
    Participant

Hey! I have a litter of four orphan kittens. They’re 8 days old. Earlier today as I was feeding and stimulating one of them I noticed a tiny bit of a clear mucus-like substance on his genitals. I stimulate them before and after they drink their formula and noticed it both times. He also meowed a lot louder than the other kittens while I was stimulating him. Other than that he’s doing great. My guess is a urinary tract infection. They’ve starting peeing themselves in their sleep, so is it possible that that’s how he got infected? I mean, I check them regularly, and if their bed is wet, I change their little blanket and wipe them with a cloth, but still I can’t prevent them from peeing themselves. Is there anyone here who has had a similar experience?

Needless to say I will take him to the vet first thing in the morning. It’s 12am rn where I live so it’s impossible to find a vet that isn’t closed at this time.

Please help, I’m so worried and I don’t know what to do right now ??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alyssa,

Thanks for taking care of these wee kits.

Given his age, it’s possibly preputial discharge. That’s a small amount of visible yellow to white smegma and is normal. The prepuce, which is the skin cover surrounding the penis, is naturally cleaning, removing sweat and skins cells entrapped in the skin folds.

However, an excessive amount of discharge or discolored discharge indicating the presence of blood, pus or urine, is a clinical sign of a greater problem. How much is it? If it’s a bit then it’s natural.

Kits may not like the feel of being stimulated and will pitch a fit while others don’t care. Kits will pee in the sleep.

As long as his behavior is great, I don’t see anything to worry about. Call the vet. tomorrow and explain what you’re seeing and this information. They may want to see him anyway.

Alyssa
    Participant

Thank you so much for replying.

It was a tiny tiny bit, like, a little drop. It was clear to white. I just stimulated him again a few minutes ago and he peed and there was no discharge.

I will take them to the vet tomorrow just to check up on them anyway, so she will tell me what to do. Hopefully it is what you are suggesting. Especially since he doesn’t seem to be crying, or sick/ lethargic I don’t think it’s something to worry about. I just freaked out when I saw it cause I had no idea what it was 😛

I will update tomorrow once I visit the vet 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well?

Alyssa
    Participant

Sorry for not updating, I totally forgot with everything that has been going on. The kitten is doing fine. It turns out it was nothing to worry about. They’re three and a half weeks old now and have already started eating wet food!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.