Monday 8-05-2017 – National Bike Month is On!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum TDK Cafe Monday 8-05-2017 – National Bike Month is On!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lagatta4 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

katzenjammer
    Participant

With the weather gradually improving (hopefully), many go the outdoor biking route. Including (of course) the kits!

pussigato
    Participant

The better plan is so me! I have my stationary bike but haven’t been on a street bike in years. It’s not safe to ride a bike on most streets because no one looks for you anymore. The city is putting in bike lanes, though.

I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the twelvity five times. I’m taking my great niece and nephew to see Vol. 2 next weekend. We saw the first one together so I thought this is cool.

Have a happie~
    PG

lagatta4
    Participant

Here we have la semaine du vélo urbain (urban bike week), a bit later in the month. It wasn’t very nice yesterday; not raining much but chilly. I’m still wearing leather gloves on the bicycle. I do have a bicycle lane on my street, both ways. Around here I can do most things on a bicycle lane or path, but that isn’t the case everywhere in the city. I’ve been cycling for decades.

I don’t take Livia on the bicycle though; I think she’d freak out. My vet’s is close enough for me to walk there, and Livia weighs very little. Often I’d take the bus with Renzo; he was never overweight but a longer, rangy cat and weighed twice what Livia does.

One problem both pedestrians and cyclists face nowadays is how many people are texting or playing with their phones whether they are driving, cycling, walking or on a skateboard (yes, I have seen that, the guy was weaving like a drunk).

Moonshadow_NZ

HA ha ha 😆 😆

Didn’t get to the Cafe yesterday as I had a busy day. I even managed to get my flu vaccination done and no sore arm so far. Haven’t managed to read the posts but did skim through quickly.
    I noticed that Comet and Eko spent a night in the linen closet. HRH Shadz when she was a wee kitty managed to get herself shut in the hot water cylinder cupboard, very nice and warm place but not good for a kitty to be shut in.She didn’t even make a peep to let us know where she was, so once we realised she was missing we had to search the entire house. I have no idea why we even looked in the cupboard as there is almost no floor space in it but there she was looking a little stressed and very very thirsty. Strangely enough the cupboard never held any interest for her since then.
    PG I see you have been planting lilacs, so jealous. I must investigate the best variety for coastal planting.
    Heading for bed now.

lagatta4
    Participant

Our lilacs have leaves now but no buds yet. It is only about 4°c here now, so everything is sort of “stuck”. Our muguet (lilies of the valley) are in full leaf, but the pretty white flowers haven’t emerged. They will as soon as it turns warmer again.

Our housing co-operative does not have large gardens front or back, but little postage stamp ones can be charming in a city. I have a very large Norway maple just outside my home-office window, which is why I chose this flat!

The bit of lawn behind the buildings (typical Montréal triplexes with wrought-iron outdoor staircases) is utterly sodden, so we can’t walk on it. Livia can, though. She is so small and light that she won’t crush anything, and she’d have no desire to dig up the muddy sod.

Moonshadow, surely you have guides to what cultivars of lilac to plant in your part of NZ. You can look online or ask at a garden centre…

JerseyJoan

Good morning – I haven’t been on a bike in ages. It is a bit dangerous to ride around here. People do, though.
    My little foster tyke spent the night in his big crate downstairs instead of the carrier by the bed. He’s growing but not quite ready to give up the KMR yet.
    My first attempt at rhubarb sauce came out pretty good. Instead of stove top, I made it in the slow cooker to make the house smell awesome on a chilly rainy day.
    It’s cloudy and chilly today, but little if any rain is expected. Hoping to get some fresh eggs from my neighbor’s happy hens later today.

Jeankit
    Participant

Great theme! Have bike lanes in my n’hood & around town. We also have scenic bike paths too! They wanted to make a bike only Blvd. in my n’hood but didn’t fly. Too Congested/many cars for small area. No place to park if
    designated area for only bikes! Great idea – think they have such in Seattle…
    coffee monday
    Yup – coffee time all day – still solo/busy thru Weds.
    Gotta get back to desk…
    Mwah, smooch for Tux – back on flip!

Kittyzee
    Participant

I love riding my bike, but haven’t for a long time due to my hip. I forgot to ask the doc last time about riding again…will have to remember that when I go back. I’m sure it will be fine, but if I fall… 😳 I guess I have to figure out if I want to take the risk.

Peso is doing well. I have been having a hard time finding plain clay litter. Or a small litter box. I had one and had it stored in the garage, and it seems to have disappeared. 😡

pussigato
    Participant

KZ,

I’m sure the doctor will approve you riding the bike in a couple of months. You’re doing great.

If you haven’t already, check Walmart or the Dollar Store. My nephew buys 5-6 #40 bags of unscented clay litter that lasts his gang a month. Less now that they’re down to 2 cats. 😥 Find a small storage bin and repurpose it.

http://catsadored.com/LITTERBOXES/LITTER_BOXES.htm

AV
    Participant

Afternoon all! *hops* up on soapbox to rant ….. the City re-did Bayshore and some of the streets feeding into it with the most ridiculous bike lane plan that ever existed. Mind you the speed limit on most of these streets is 40 mph …. they narrowed the traffic lanes (yeah, real smart), and ran many of the bike lanes down the middle of the street (especially on the one way ones that are multiple lanes) … this means the bikes are speeding down beside or between cars, and have to cross car lanes to turn …. and the bikers have NO thought that a driver may not know to look over both shoulders because the bike lane is opposite the other driving lane! …. someone is gonna get creamed … not if, but when! …… plus it’s so confusing, drivers that are not familiar with the area arent’ sure which lane to drive in ….. someone was smoking something when they made this plan ….. *hops down* …. sorry, that’s been a thorn in my side since they made them!

Well, Monday is over (yay) …. busy and kinda a PIA …. looking forward to an easier rest of the week …. hope everyone has a great evening!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  AV.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  AV.

JerseyJoan

I’m so glad Peso is doing well! My sister gave me a bunch of cardboard boxes from cases of cat food. They are low enough for a baby to get in and out of, and when they get wet I toss the whole thing. Just the other day I switched to a small regular litterbox, as Aslan is big enough for it now. I did find a small bag of clay litter, but have gone through it pretty quick. I don’t think he’s much younger than Comet was when we got him, so I am probably going to use the giant box of litter that the shelter donated to me. It’s clumping, but I didn’t have any issues with clumping litter when Comet was a baby. Or Leela, for that matter.
    Spent the afternoon with Tyler. I’m the backup for his grandma and it was actually a nice break from litterboxes, kitten bedding, cat food dish washing, water/food detail, etc.

JerseyJoan

Hi AV! Who was the rocket scientist who came up with that plan?? Probably someone with deep pockets (so the counsel will listen) who lives in some rural area. *SMH*

katzenjammer
    Participant

AV, here outdoor biking can be life-threatening. My spin instructor’s dau actually got “doored” on her bike when some jerk opened his car door, hit her, sent her flying and she injured her back. She recovered, but still.

I never biked outdoors and never will. We live in “pothole land” and so many peeps from the gym, experienced riders have been in accidents, some quite serious. I G-d forbid cannot afford to break anything, well neither can anyone, but esp me. I have been warned and pay heed (for once.) Plus spinning does it for me in efurry way even if I am going “nowhere fast.” Hehehe.

Speaking of jerks in the street, walking home some “B” was so engrossed in her texting that she all but ran into me! I said something (not impolite) and she began dissing me. So I told her to go “F” herself and high-tailed it homewards. She could easily have taken me down. No decency left!

Day is running away with me and I have some volunteer work to do plus some minor hazeling as follow-up from yest late night glue removal fun – not! My next project is to enhance white modern headboard with neat wallpaper samples – using “Power Tack” in lieu of glue and pre-gluing paper to more solid backing with gentle paper glue. Which I got at $$ store. Means that tomorrow I plan to go to awesome hardware/deco store where knowing that I take these sizeable samples, ie 8.5×11″, for DIY, nonetheless they encourage me to help myself to as many as I want, for free!

BTW “Handmaid’s Tale” is pawsome. Better than film in that with 10 eps they can do backstory. But very hard to take as plot can make one very angry! The society depicted makes North Korea look like a day spa (not that I’d know much about North Korea, thankfully.)

lagatta4
    Participant

Well, I’ve been cycling for most of my life. Outside, obviously. And involved in associations to that effect. Bicycle Bob Silverman, Claire Morissette… Now Coalitions of cyclists and pedestrians. Went out today despite the damp chill.

Cycle lanes in the middle of traffic are absurd. What happens if the cyclist has a malaise? If their kids have some kind of malaise? They would certainly sideline cycling parents, very young and very old cyclists. Those things do NOT exist in the Netherlands.

Actually, cars have killed and injured far more pedestrians here than cyclists. We aren’t about to stop walking.

katzenjammer
    Participant

KZ, meant to say previously, I don’t know what outdoor biking conditions are like in your n’hood but take care. I don’t want to sound preachy or negative, but peeps at my gym have fractured pelvises and injured hips biking outdoors, one guy is very senior and has been biking for like 70 yrs. His bike got caught in a crack and that was that. He’s back now, but was in rehab for 8 months. Your doc will of course better advise you. If you’re wanting to know now, could you call his office/email him?

Just got rid of a bit more stress by letting one of these phone scammers “have it.” The automated msg about my “credit” went on too long and I could not disconnect. When (so-called) human came on I told him “This is fraud and you should be ashamed of yourself.” At least he immediately cut the line. Watched TV doc where a not so elderly woman got taken for $25,000! Ugh!

lagatta4
    Participant

Is she the one who actually went undercover against the slime who attack vulnerable seniors?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Thanks for your concern about my biking KJ, PG. I’m not about to start without consulting first, so no worries. I have country road to bike on, but idiots still drive cars so….. 😛

JJ, I know about needing a break from kitten laundry, feeding, peeing, pooping, etc…and then there’s little Avery that I’m doing the same thing for and on top of that she wants to ‘help’ which means she just wants to keep picking him up and carrying him. She is really gentle, but I have to watch every move she makes because just one wrong move or a tumble with him in her arms and she should land on him… 😮 Everyone’s heart would be broken.

Thanks PG, I forgot about the dollar stores!! I also found a foil pan like what you make lasagna in someone gave me…I’ll use that until I get him his own litterbox!

katzenjammer
    Participant

IMHO $$ stores are pawsome!

BTW, I love Peso’s name KZ!

I experienced SNOW today – SNOW in the form of tiny flakes! 😥 It’s May – someone has to inform Ma Nature!

Sadly Lagatta, this victim was not going undercover, although to spare her further embarrassment her identity was concealed. She got screwed big-time! What’s way weird is that she had to send the cash in the form of I-Tunes gift cards purchased at local supermarket. And yup, she went and did it. 🙁 Think the show was either “Fifth Estate” or “W5” and it repeats I think on “Doc” channel every so often.

pussigato
    Participant

We had hail today! My nephew said the hail was golf ball size and some areas reported up to baseball size. The weather peeps predicted rain all week which is what we have now but no hail. I don’t have any damage and wee lilacs were protected but I’m sure many have trees down.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/05/08/rockies-cubs-denver-hail-storm-weather-photos-videos

The councils (multi areas are affected) have approved bike lanes but they’re smart enough to put the on the sides of the road. Many drivers still complain though.

katzenjammer
    Participant

Hail? The world is running amuck!
    I felt sad for the n’hood tulips that looked beaten down by our weather. 🙁 As for the few robins that I saw, they must be freaked out.

Before I cycle down to open Tues Café I must leave you all with this earworm:

Moonshadow_NZ

Lagatta I could find out which cultivar to plant but I won’t yet because first we need to remove a large magnolia grandiflora that is overshadowing the house and it’s roots are threatening the path and drive. Then we would have to build a retaining wall. On the top of the retaining wall is where I would like to plant the lilac but with so much to be tackled first I dare not look at lilacs in case I succumb and get one. You know what I am like with plants. I was at a garden centre this morning buying kale and cabbage seedlings and violas to brighten the Winter mornings.
    I will get myself a lilac though.
    JJ, the only bike I have been on in recent years was stationary, it’s too dangerous to ride a bicycle on our over crowded roads as far as I am concerned.
    Awwwww Aslan, you keep taking the KMR and you will soon be a big boy.
    Your rhubarb sounds great, I swear I can smell rhubarb cooking now. I miss getting fresh hen eggs from my neighbours now they have moved.
    KZ, hope you find the litter tray for wee Peso, all my litter trays kept disappearing but it’s me who swipes them for sitting seedling punnets in. No worries about water running everywhere that way.
    AV, a similar crazy bike lane was installed in a Wellington suburb and after constant complaints and problems I believe they are removing it to a more sensible position.
    Wheeeeeeeee JJ, back up for Grandmother has it’s bonus’s especially when it comes to ‘little’ Tyler.
    KJ ! Good on you and how you dealt with the careless ‘B’. You had done nothing wrong to get dissed. Oh those phone scammers are so annoying and I love to get my own back on them by stringing them along for a while or just hanging up.
    KZ, brilliant litter tray find. I love the $ stores or $2 stores as they are here.
    Wow PG, golf ball size hail is serious and baseball size is super serious to all sorts of things.
    Earworm but a goody. Thanks KJ.

lagatta4
    Participant

Indoor cycling does exist, but it is most limited; I’ve seen it at airports, not only at Schiphol (Amsterdam) but even here in Montréal (security personnel). It also exists in extremely large greenhouses in the Netherlands, perhaps elsewhere, and in some industrial settings. If not, cycling is outdoor by default except when one is cycling through a tunnel, underground parking etc. Or the sport of cycling in a vélodrome.

The weather wasn’t quite as foul today; I picked up a cheque chez un client, then ran some work-related errands. Fortunately I could do at least 90% on designated cycleways, the few exceptions were side streets that were clearly marked to give priority to pedestrians (first) and cyclists (second). But where I live and my destination are in boroughs where the councils are firmly in favour of active and public transport, and traffic calming.

And yes, I’m as devoted to this as I am to cats, and for the same original reason: when a f-ing car killed my beloved black cat Théodore.

lagatta4
    Participant

Bike to work week in Montréal, as part of the Go Vélo festival:

http://www.velo.qc.ca/en/govelo/operation-bike-to-work
    The original French: http://www.velo.qc.ca/fr/govelo/operation-velo-boulot

I’ve cycled to work for decades, still do sometimes, though now I most often walk from preparing moka (stovetop espresso) in my kitchen, to the desks (the writing one and the painting one) in my home office.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.