9 Week Old Kitten with severe URI

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 9 Week Old Kitten with severe URI

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Cat talk rules
    Participant

Its so hard when one of the fur babies is sick and we don’t know what to do and when they are that tiny really hard. My mom used to put our pets who had respitory illnesses in a steam tent (just like she did us kids) This was a long time ago but it seemed to help them. we always prayed for them, too so I will say some prayers for your baby.

ChandlersMommy
    Participant

I think my vet has just become “numb”. He is actually a very sweet and caring person, I think he was just worried about how it would affect me if Chandler did get worse, which has happened….plus he was having a bad day. I just wish he had not said it, at least out loud.

Hi, ChandlersMommy. Welcome to the Daily Kitten! I’m so sorry your kitten is ill. Is he the little guy in your avatar? What a sweet face! I don’t blame you for worrying. It is surprising how quickly we come to love those furrbabies who choose us! It sounds like you are doing all you can to support him until he can be treated tomorrow. Good luck tonight. I will keep you in my thoughts and send some positive healing light in Chandler’s direction.

ChandlersMommy
    Participant

It is 11:30PM my time, and we just got back from the pet ER. I pretty much went in there and told them he had an URI, and that he needed fluids, but the DR pretty much had the attitude of “I am the doctor, not you”, and then she just proceeded to tell me he had a URI and that he needed antibiotics, and she said he didn’t need fluids, even though he hasn’t drank or eaten in almost 24 hours, except for the few ounces of fluid that I squirted down his throat. I am so angry, and sad. He is so dehydrated. My clinic opens in about 6 hours, so until then I have started him on his Clavamox, and will continue to squirt fluids down his tiny throat until I can get him into my clinic where he will get fluids through an IV. Thanks all.

ChandlersMommy
    Participant

OH, and I forgot to mention we were there only 10 min, and I have $100 less in my bank account now. Depressing. =(

jcat
    Participant

Oh, CM, that stinks, one thing I have learned on this site is that little kittens dehydrate very very quickly. Did she do the ‘tenting skin’ test thing? I hope that Anncetera will see this thread soon, she always has good advice, as do many others here, but I truly think you are doing everything you can for little Chandler. We are all pulling for him! I will be popping in and out for several hours yet, it is just 5.30pm here, so if you need to vent, feel free…

Buttercup
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear about the behavior of the emergency vet,I wish they would listen to the the pet owners,especially one’s who are as knowledgeable as you are.I would dilute the A/D with some water(or pedialyte if you have it) and dribble that into his mouth to help with hydration as long as he’s not vomiting or having diarrhea and take him to your vet in the morninng. Prayers and positive thoughts for Chandler and you.

sullis
    Participant

I hope little Chandler does better once you get him into the vet; I’m no expert, but just keep him hydrated as you’ve been doing…you must be so frustrated with the emergency room experience…I’ll be thinking of you guys today and sending positive thoughts your way..

Momof6furrballs
    Participant

Hold onto hope CM. I had a cat that I had to give fluid shots under the skin when he was sick…that was not fun but it kept him with us and got him over the hump of problems. If I can do it anyone can. I will have you in my thoughts today. I have told my little bunch about it and they will be crossing their tails and hoping for the best also.

Give him a big kiss all of us and tell him we are all sending big hugs his way.

GreatDane
    Participant

Chandlersmommy, my Milo was in the exact same situation as you describe with your Chandler.

He did get sub-q’s at the vets for dehydration, vitamin b12 to stimulate his appetite and clavamox as well.

Since he has an URI, try feeding him very smelly food. If he can’t smell the food because of his cold, he’s a lot less likely to eat it. I mixed plain Pedialyte with the gravy from packets of wet kitten food and made him “Pedia-Gravy” that was easier for Mi to get down and would help hydrate him. Once he started perking up a bit, I started on feeding him the high-calorie, high-fat wet food my vet had sold me – but drenched in either tuna water or gravy and with some of the Pedialyte mixed in. I let him eat/drink as much of the Pedialyte as he wanted. I also mixed Lysine powder in his food for a couple of weeks to help his immune system.

Best of luck with the little guy!

miu
    Participant

I have no useful advice but I want to send my prayers and good wishes to the lil’ one. Get better, Chandler!

2bpurring
    Participant

I would like to add to those prayers and please keep us posted!

How is Chandler doing today, CM? You had quite a rough night. You are such a great kittymom to try and help this little one survive his rough beginning. I hope he makes it! Positive thoughts and the TDK healing white light are coming your way!

debsterwiz
    Participant

Yes CM, I add my well wishes too! I am so glad you found us at TDK, we are always here for all kitty lovers and their families. Many prayers and white light for you and Chandler. If he is the sweetheart in your avatar, he looks like a gem! Please post soon and often and keep us in the loop! {{{Chandler}}} {{{CM}}}

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

Hi Chandler’s Mom, welcome to TDK Chat. I’ve only just caught up on this thread, but hope there’s some good news soon.

Catfancier
    Participant

Welcome to TDK, Chandler’s Mom…wow…that sounded weird to me, considering my name is Chandler in real life. I don’t like my name because it is a boys name and I found it in the boys section of the baby book of names. :/

Catfancier
    Participant

But don’t get me wrong. I love the name for boys and other girls, but Chandler doesn’t really fit me…

ChandlersMommy
    Participant

He still is not eating, but we have been getting fluids under the skin, and I am going to take a bag of fluids home with me and continue to give them to him at home, unless he decides to drink. He got another B12 injection and something for inflammation. He will continue the Clavamox, and hopefully that will slowly clear things up. If the little booger would just eat I wouldn’t be so worried. =( But he is still hanging in there. Thanks all!

cricketsmama
    Participant

He will still be in my prayers CM and please keep us updated. I hope Chandler starts eating soon. ((Chandler))

3kits staff
    Participant

He’s in my prayers and so are you!

Peace

Dorie

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.