9 month old kitten died 2 months ago and i’m still grieving

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 9 month old kitten died 2 months ago and i’m still grieving

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kittenluvxx
    Participant

hi everybody,

my 9 month old black Persian kitten called thunder got run over on the 30th of January this year. i found out when i came home from school that day to find both my mum and dad looking really upset. i immediately knew something was wrong so i asked and my mum said it’s bad, it’s really bad. all that ran through my mind was thunder, something had happened to him. i then noticed there was a bag on the table and it had something in it. it turned out to be his collar. with the collar ther was a not which said:

dear owner, i am really sorry to say that i got a call from my neighbour saying that there was a cat that had been run over on my street as she had been looking for hers that was currently nursing kittens. she went over to have a look but it wasnt hers. she noticed the collar and saw that there was a mobile number on it but she couldnt get through to me. she cut off the collar and put it in a bag and brought it to our house and posted it through the letter box. she would of brought him back to us but he was very squashed so she called the council to take him away as she didnt want him to get run over anymore.

i think this was really sweet and not many people would do that and it would take someone with a really big heart. but what i cant get over is that i didn’t see him and my last words to him were be quiet. if i had seen him then maybe i would be able to accept it a bit better but i didn’t so its hard for me. i am nearly over him now but it still hurts to think about him. i miss him very much and really wish it had never have happened. we have another cat that is 11 years old and i know she still misses him even though she tries not to show it when she goes outside she is gone for hours looking for him.

so what i really want to know is should i still be grieving for him 2 months later and i really feel like i want another cat but i don’t wanna replace him if you know what i mean.

debsterwiz
    Participant

Oh Shorty, I am so sorry for you loss. I still grieve for my best friend that I lost in 1998! Once they find there way into your heart they are there forever.

Don’t be afraid to get another kitty, you are filling a vacancy in your home, not replacing the irreplacable. When you are ready, you will know.

Good luck!

Jeankit
    Participant

So sorry on the loss of your special kitten Thunder. He is now in the Meadow under the care of the Wolf with our special furry friends who’ve passed too.

Soon, after you heal you may find another special kitten to be part of your furry family.

ecbrown
    Participant

I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t think it is unusual at all to still be grieving. I’m new to pets so I haven’t experienced the loss yet, but I still mourn the loss of my grandmother who died 7 years ago. I know I will be devastated when one of our cats leaves us. I hope you and your family and your 11 year old cat find another kitty to love.

Rubia in CA, 4/28
    Participant

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Thunder. As the others have said, it is normal for you to still be grieving. The pain will eventually fade but you will never forget. However, it sounds like you are almost ready to start moving on. We know exactly what you mean when you say you don’t want to replace Thunder; that would never be the case. I’m sure that Thunder would be happy knowing that you had another kitty to love you and take care of you. And when the right kitty selects you, you will know tha it is time.

jRoc
    Participant

Shorty, you will know when the time is right. Another kitty will find his/her way into your heart.

Please know that all the other beloved pets welcomed Thunder at the Rainbow Bridge and he is safe and happy and healthy in the Meadow where Wolf watches over.

kittenluvxx
    Participant

thank you all very much for your replys you have helped my alot you are all really great xx

Skyron
    Participant

There is no limit on the amount of time that is considered ‘normal’ to grieve for the loss of a friend. I lost my first kitty when I was a kid – he was also run over – and I still have days where I feel sad about it. I like to think of the sad days as a way to remember and honour the memory of all the kitties at the rainbow bridge; I usually burn a candle for them, or buy a nice bunch of flowers ๐Ÿ™‚

dirtymartiniqueen
    Participant

I’m so sorry for the loss of your Thunder and you will always carry special memories of him. I lost my maggie 2 1/2 years ago and I still grieve for her but I can also remember the really funny and special things about her more often now. You’ll know in your heart when it’s time to add a new furry family member and they will never replace your Thunder but will be special to you in a different way.

debra213
    Participant

Oh, Shorty, I am so, so sorry. We all like to think that time is the “great healer” but in our hearts there will always be an empty space where our loved one has been. I know this is a cat forum, but I lost my sweet, sweet German Shepherd, Benny, 3 years ago come this May. Even now, tears still come to my eyes when I think of him. Somehow we always think that if I had done this or that differently, he wouldn’t have died. Don’t blame yourself for anything though, and, like others have said, when it’s time for you to adopt again, you will know it. Celebrate Thunder’s life! I found that making a little “shrine” to my Benny was extremely cathartic for me. Maybe a little memorial will help you too. Remember, we will all see them again at the Rainbow Bridge.

ladysky61
    Participant

I still mourn foster kittens that I lost 5 months ago.

JerseyJoan

I am sorry for your loss of your Thunder. Leela and Comet now grace our household; they are considered the next generation, the previous one being Shaddo and Jiggs. I miss them terribly; it’s been 4 years. I often find myself holding their collars or running my fingers over their name tags.

When you are ready, there will be another kitty who wants to be yours.

DancingCatHill
    Participant

I am so sorry for your loss of Thunder. All I can say about how you are feeling is that it is normal and you should let it roll through you as long as it does. My sweet Pixi passed away five years ago and I STILL miss him greatly and have a lump in my throat as I speak of him. I have several cats that have come along since Pixi left, and while I dearly love them all none of them will ever replace Pixi. So take your time, miss your baby for as long as you do even if that is forever, and go on to love another kitty when the time is right for you even though Thunder will never be replaced in your heart.

Tab_Boyden
    Participant

I have two beautiful lovable three year old cats I am trying to find a new home for if you are interested ๐Ÿ™‚

scottyd
    Participant

Even though Thunders time was short he was lucky to have you . Im so sorry it ended like that , all i can say im shure he didnt suffer . I know it hurts to loose some thing you love ( be it person or animal ) . However the little time you guys had toghter has enrichend your life , just as you did for him . Just dont let greif callous your feelings and emotions . Just know that he loved you with all his little heart .

Patara
    Participant

I had 2 kittens about 9 months old that got hit by a car on the same day. They were brother and sister. The sad thing is it was obviously on purpose and on friday the 13th. One of them is gray and I think whoever hit him probably thought he’s black. The other is a gray tabby. They were hit a few feet apart. It felt like the car was going back and forth so they could kill both. I was really traumatized because I saw the trail of blood coming towards the house from both direction. One died to the left of the house , and the other to the right. They really wanted to come home. My mom broke down in tears the moment she found out. She just collapsed right in front of our house. Your story reminds me of my two cats, so my heart really goes out to you. It’s been a long time now, but once in a while, I’d still think of them.

I don’t think you can help grieving. Just do it at your own pace, whether it takes a few months or longer. When you’re ready, I’m sure new cats will come into your life. That’s what happened to me, but I still will always remember those two kittens. ๐Ÿ™‚

Instinct
    Participant

I grew up with dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, you name it. You will never really ‘get over’ the loss of a pet but the pain will become more distant as time passes.

You already know that no one will replace Thunder, and that isn’t something you would want to do anyway, but the heart has room enough for another animal for you to love.

Cry, grieve, and let yourself go through it. Eventually another cat will show up in your life and establish their own special place in your heart

I still grieve for each of mine that have passed, but except for Sheba, who I lost only 2 months ago, I can smile at the memories.

Onie
    Participant

I lost my cat last year to cancer of the throat.

She was my best friend ๐Ÿ™ I was devestated that she was taken from me. I still grieve for her. I still wish i could have her back and i still find myself looking at her cute kitty pictures.

Its normal to grieve for a very long time ..alot of people dont understand that its not just a oet ..they become part of the family and part of your heart.

Dont feel bad fro grieveing it proves you loved this cat loads xxx

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.