9 Days Old – Kittens of Azeroth

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 9 Days Old – Kittens of Azeroth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kittens of Azeroth
    Participant

So my mother-in-law found a litter of 3-4 day old newborn kittens. We think they were 3 or 4 days old because one of them still had the umbilical cord attached, but it fell off the following day. They mother was killed (we assume trying to protect her babies) and she asked us to take them in because she was unable to care for them with her work schedule.
    Here we all are 5 days later. Three of the kittens have started opening their eyes, and the littlest one has just started cracking hers. We have Thrall, our black tuxedo cat w/ a white nose stripe. Jaina, our teensiest baby is a dilute calico. Sylvanas, the biggest fluffiest of the bunch is a calico with half a black face mask. And Khadgar, the cutest little black kit with a white mustache (I love his/her little mustache). Both myself and my wife are exausted! Although Thrall, Jaina, Khadgar, and Sylvanas are getting plenty of sleep I don’t think a day has gone by where one of us new kitten mommies hasn’t worried about poop, bloaty stomachs, or if they’re sleeping too much and are lethargic or are just really sleepy baby kittens, or a myriad of other concerns that are probably typical for new caregivers. My wife has bottle fed/hand reared kittens in the past, but none as young as this. TDK has been a life saver though. After a few hard poops we started giving them mineral oil and then immediately stopped after more research here because a link here said it can be toxic to kittens and prevent them from getting nutrients from their formula. No one has suffered as far as we can tell right now, thankfully.
    They go anywhere between 2-4 hours between feedings (they sleep pretty heavy during the day) and eat roughly 1/2-1 Tbs during the day at each feeding, or 1 Tablespoon per feeding during the night when they’re more awake. We’ve been giving them powdered KMR, but here we are day 5 and while they’re all still eliminating daily it’s harder than I’m happy with and tried adding 7-8 drops of olive oil to 4 Tbs of formula for their last feeding and have been diluting their formula since I’ve read here that the powdered KMR does constipate kits. If I don’t have any success tonight they’re all going straight to the vet tomorrow morning.
    It’s been an experience. They’ve already gotten attached to us and I love them to death. They purr when we pick them up and feed them. Poor Jaina had to be separated because she is what I’m now affectionately referring to as a “comfort nurser” and would nurse on poor Thrall. She had a really difficult time settling by herself until I started putting my t-shirts in her nest. She obviously knows our smells because she would settle right down as long as she had something that smelled like us. And they’re absolutely adorable when they sleep. I am constantly watching their little ears and feet twitch while they sleep and catch them yawning and stretching. (Heart melting!)
    But nerve wracking because I know the mortality rate for kittens this little without a mother is fairly high. So of course if one doesn’t poop or seems sleepier than usual my anxiety shoots right through the roof (until later in the evening when they all get more active and start eliminating). I’m getting more used to their routine and training myself not to panic, that I’m not the only one hand-rearing newborns, that others have been successful and that Thrall, Jaina, Khadgar, Sylvanas, myself and my wife have all made it 5 days without incident, which helps me comfort myself that we’re doing something right with these babies.
    So here we are, ready for week 2. I think I’ll relax a little more as each day goes by and they reach their kitten milestones and keep gaining weight. But boy am I looking forward to weeks 5 and 6 when we can start weening them and working on litter training.

welcome ji! where ru guys from? jaina and khadgar are hindi. jaina means god is gracious and khadgar is the name of a gate in aurangabad, maharashtra. congrats for taking in these sweethearts!

Kittens of Azeroth
    Participant

Thank you. We’re from South Carolina and actually pulled the names from one of our video games.

katzenjammer
    Participant

Welcome to TDK!
    Wow! Terrific what you’re doing to save this little furry family, it does sound most exhausting. Hopefully you and wife will be able to get them past the newborn stage and the frantic times will be a thing of the past. And then we’ll most definitely want to see pics of the cuties. Best of luck! 😀

@kittens very welcome! that’s interesting. i find a lot of scifi/video game/fantasy stuff has asian/arabic and south asian inspired names. it’s funny because many times they don’t know what it means. my besty is obssessed with sci fi, and i have mix heritage. i’m indian mongolian and white mix. so im the eastern flair here. the spicy one! lol. u must post pics of ur gang here so we can see them as they grow!

Kittens of Azeroth
    Participant

Day 10 and we had a trip to the vet this morning. Khadgar was straining to eliminate, and better safe than sorry I took him (or her maybe) to the vet. Sure enough after they took his/her temperature she went. So I can breathe a little easier. Everyone else is eating and growing and opening their eyes. Sylvanas is doing great, her eyes are wide open and she spent the evening trying to walk around the nest on her wobbly kitten legs. She’s definitely going to be a character. She’ll hog the bottle and gum our fingers if she isn’t finished and we take the bottle away too soon. I’ll definitely start posting pictures of our fluffy babies.

that’s wonderful! yeah, i admit, even when ur a seasoned pro at kittens, they still never fail to surprise you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.