9-days old kitten, underweight, defecating mucus stool. Need advice.

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 9-days old kitten, underweight, defecating mucus stool. Need advice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Dear TDK, my cat gave birth to three kittens last week but she could not care for them, most probably because she is not producing milk? I am not sure as to why but I had to intervene when I noticed that she did not bother to clean any of them. I took them to the vet to get their umbilical cord cut short and to detach one from their placenta. The vet had instructed me to feed them every two hours and use damp cotton to stimulate elimination. I tried my best but two of them died, the first after taking home from the vet and the other the day after.

It has been 9 days and I am deeply worried for this last one. She is so small and looks awfully fragile! If she stretches, she is barely the length of my hand.

For the first three days I was so afraid to lift and hold her head up to feed from the syringe that the vet gave me. But she had a bit of an appetite so what I did was I let her suckle the syringe a little, let her rest when she stops, then try to make her suckle again until she rejects the milk altogether and thereafter try to stimulate her. Her weight at this point was 50 grams (so tiny and light!)

Honestly, I have no knowledge of caring for younger kittens. Before I saw or read any of the the online kitten care instructions, I neither know how much milk to give nor about burping the kitten. During the time, I syringe fed her this http://www.catalog.ttldistributors.com.my/catalog/productdetails.asp?id=448 which I found out later, contained cow milk.

On the fourth day, she finally defecated the second time since the first day. Her feces was a little hard at first but after stimulating further, the feces came out softer and without much straining. Throughout the fourth day, she kept eliminating but the feces has grown watery instead. Worried it might have been the effect of the milk, my boyfriend got her this http://www.catalog.ttldistributors.com.my/catalog/productdetails.asp?id=450 goat milk. I do not really know if her diarrhea was caused by the milk or feeding too fast – I have no idea how feeding too fast is like.

On the fifth day, she gained a 5 grams. However, she refused to drink the milk I offer her every two hourly which was 1 cc. At this time, her feces looked a little hard but seemingly healthier than the day before; after replacing her formula.

On day six, she had finally started to suckle the syringe willingly since her first feed of the day. She seemed to want more of the milk, so without thinking, I increased her intake to 2 cc. It did not occurred to me that it would be an act of overfeeding. I noticed that she started purring as I was getting her to burp. She also weighed 60 grams then.

At one week, however, she started to defecate watery stool again. It was cause to worry since she had also suddenly lost interest in her milk. I took her to the vet again for a checkup but because she was so tiny, the junior vet had no idea how to treat her. In the end she administered some glucose shots in an attempt to give the kitten some energy, and also a dose of anti-diarrhea medicine.

Yesterday (day eight), I was careful not to overfeed her again and tried my best to get her to drink her milk. I also did the tent test and found that she was a little dehydrated, so I gave her the homemade Pedialyte from the recipe available on this site. In the morning, her stool was solid enough, an ice-cream-like consistency. But towards the afternoon, her stool grew hard that she was straining to eliminate. Come evening, she was finally able to eliminate what looked like green paste. I understand that this is unhealthy. After a while, she excreted mucus feces and this worries me a lot. I decided to stop giving her the homemade Pedialyte in case her irregular bowel movement was caused by that. Her weight dropped to 55 grams.

Today (day nine), she seems livelier; crying loudly when she is hungry, squirms a lot when I try to clean her, purrs when she is fully fed (I have been feeding her 1 cc every hour since midnight), and her eyes are starting to open. But it is still worrying that she is defecating mucus, yellow without any trace of blood, sometimes cheese-like consistency. She also excretes after every feed. I am afraid to offer her anymore homemade Pedialyte so the only way I am sure she is well hydrated is to get her to drink milk constantly. Her weight dropped again to just 50 grams.

What is causing her to excrete mucus stool? Am I feeding her right? For your info, I increased the water ratio to her formula so that her milk is more diluted because of what I read on one of the many newborn kitten care website, that it is possible her tiny body will not be able to handle the rich nutrients of the formula. Should I just stick to the mixture direction of the formula? Did the homemade Pedialyte cause any side effect? How do I know if there are any other complications associated with the mucus stool? I have not had enough sleep since the kittens arrive, therefore, I am mentally exhausted. I would appreciate your kind advice, especially from those who had similar experiences.

Many thanks in advance.

Jeankit
    Participant

Aw, welcome to TDK with your newbies & Queen cat.

Please check out these links until more join in on your thread.

http://www.messybeast.com/catarchive.htm
    This may help w/aloof momcat
    http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html
    Free on-line vet:
    http://www.vetlive.com/free-veterinary-advice-ask-an-online-vet-for-free/

Jeankit
    Participant

Here’s another chat/link from awhile ago that may help:

Links for Raising Kittens

One for glop/kitten formula:

Links for kitten glop

jcat
    Participant

Hi, Clarisa, first off here is ‘the scoop on poop’ Unweaned kittens being fed on milk usually have yellow brown to tan feces of a toothpaste consistency, they are different from kittens on solids.

The Scoop on Poop

Your kitten’s poop can alert you if something is not right with their health

Color:
    • Bloody – Actual red blood seen in stool. Could indicate panleukepenia. Grossly abnormal, must be seen ASAP.
    • Mucous – yellowish/white/clear slimy substance. Indicates severe bowel irritation. Grossly abnormal and needs immediate care.
    • Black – True dark black color to stool. Usually indicates bleeding high in the bowel. Severe sign, needs immediate attention.
    • Brown – Normal color. Be happy!
    • Orange – Usually indicates way too much bile in stool, can occur with reflux.Seek medical advice.
    • Yellow – Almost always indicates bacterial imbalance in the bowel. If has diarrhea also, usually related to occidian. Seek medical advice.
    • White – Grossly abnormal color, usually indicates, severe bacterial imbalance and severe infection in the bowel. Kitten at risk of dying, needs medical attention, ASAP.

Consistency:
    • Dry/hard – Abnormal, usually indicates dehydration. Seek care, promptly.
    • Firm – Normal, be happy.
    • Formed but soft – Low range of ‘normal’. If stools change from firm to soft you should seek medical advice.
    • Toothpaste – Still has somewhat tubular form but falls apart once touched. Abnormal, needs medication.
    • Cow-patty – Never formed but thick enough it falls into a ‘cow-patty’ shape. Abnormal, animal is at significant risk and needs immediate attention.
    • Liquidy – Just fluid that falls out of rectum, thin and may have mucous. Abnormal, animal is at severe risk and must be seen immediately.
    • The ‘Squirts’ – Animal has no control over bowel and watery fluid squirts out of rectum. Grossly abnormal, animal in danger of dying, must be seen immediately!

The Color of Urine

Take note of the color and smell of your cats Urine, this is a good indicator of illness

Urine color:
    • Red/Dark Orange – Severe sign. Severe at-risk, must be seen immediately.
    • Dark yellow/almost brown – Extreme dehydration or bilirubin in urine. Either way it’s BAD! Needs immediate aggressive treatment.
    • Intense yellow – Concentrated urine. Animal is not getting enough fluid for total body hydration. Needs immediate care.
    • Yellow – Mildly concentrated urine. Monitor closely and if ANY other signs, seek care immediately.
    • Light yellow – Mildly dilute urine. Overall body hydration should be adequate if no kidney disease. With sick/injured or at-risk animals, this is the color we shoot for.
    • Pale yellow – Dilute urine. Hydration should be excellent if no kidney disease. With any significantly debilitated or severe risk animal, this is the color we shoot for. Be aware however of possible over-hydration and keep urine this color, only if under medical care.
    • Almost clear – Severely dilute urine. Risk of over-hydration. Urine should only be this dilute if under constant medical supervision.

jcat
    Participant

Also try clicking the pink tag ‘orphans’ for all our previous threads on trying to help babies like this.

Okeydoke, the fact that kitten is livelier and more alert is a GOOD SIGN. That seems to suggest to me that the pedialyte helped. At the moment, your best guide to whether she is improving or not is her alertness and liveliness (and, day by day, whether she is gaining or losing weight) so for the moment I would concentrate on those and try not to worry too much about other things that may not be right. The odds are heavily against this little one so just concentrate on keeping her lively and well hydrated. The mucus may well be a serious problem or a sign of something else but if your vet can’t help (have you gotten a second opinion from a more senior vet?) there’s not a lot you or we can do about it.
    The pedialyte can,I understand, in a worst-case scenario, throw their blood salts out so if she’s drinking diluted milk happily then keep on with that. But I doubt it’s done her any harm, it sounds like it’s done her some good. You can also get commercial pedialyte from the infants aisle of a supermarket. From your pet store or online from a good site (like amazon or entirelypets.com) get a supplement called Nutrical paste for kittens — you can smear a little on her gums, no big lumps or anything she could choke on. You can keep a wee kitten alive on Nutrical paste and water (if there’s nothing else wrong with it) so it’s a great thing to have on hand.
    Your biggest problem, I think, might be her blood sugar level crashing. This is life-threatening, so if she suddenly goes limp or crashes, you need to get some sugars into her. Formula is the best, if she will accept it but you can also save her life with some honey smeared on her mouth (a little smear) or sugar water stroked on the roof of her mouth. Goats’ milk is good to bring kittens up on but it can be a little rich for some, you might want to try some of the glop recipes, which are mostly based around evaporated or condensed milk.

So, to sum up:
    Keep up with the diluted kitten formula, you’re doing the right thing.
    The home-made pedialyte probably didn’t cause any problems but if she is happy with the diluted kitten formula, that’s best.
    The mucus could be associated with anything, at present try not to worry about that. Take your cue from her liveliness and whether she is gaining or losing weight.
    Get some Nutrical if you can, have formula, sugar water or honey on hand if she crashes.
    Try not to worry about anything else at this stage, most of it is out of our hands (unless you can find a vet who is very knowledgeable about unweaned kittens, but there is not a lot available to them apart from hydration fluids and glucose. Antibiotics given so young can cause diarrhea which is itself life-threatening.)
    If she doesn’t like goats’ milk or formula, try glop.
    Read the messybeast site over and over, it has the best advice on problems with unweaned kittens you will ever find.
    How is mother cat? Kitten formula, Nutrical and goats milk will be good supplements for her too. Has she had a vet check? You don’t want to run the risk of losing her as well.

Best of luck!

jcat
    Participant

This is the direct link to the messybeast site on raising abandoned kittens with problems:

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

jcat
    Participant

I’ve just looked at the product you’re feeding her, it looks fine but it is a powder and they can seem to cause constipation. Kitten milk replacement is the best thing for her (a petstore or online at amazon or entirelypets.com or similar good site), it comes either in liquid (pricier but can avoid constipation) or powdered form. Canned liquid goats milk (from the baking aisle in Walmart and similar) would probably be easier than powdered, if you can get it. Kitten glop is also an option, messybeast gives a good recipe.

And don’t forget to get mama cat checked out and give her some of that good stuff above too!

jcat
    Participant

Thank you Jeankit and Jcat for the responses. The links are very helpful, I humbly appreciate the help. KMR is not available here, sadly. I would love to try the glop, however, I lack the necessary ingredients at home and it is too late to go to the store.

The scoop on poop has gotten me really worried. She stopped defecating every hour since 5am, yet, her stool remains the same, liquidy with mucus. While cleaning her this morning around 9am, she farted and squirted her stool out, pale yellow; her urine normal.

Her cries are starting to become softer too. She still wants to be fed but not as lively as yesterday. She would still squirm a lot but I can see that she is having some difficulty moving around. Yesterday she was able put up a fight pushing my fingers, squirming (quite feisty I might add) when I cleaned her. Although she still squirmed while getting cleaned today, it was clear that she was getting weaker. Her weight had dropped to 45 grams despite feeding her every hour. The vet is unable to do anything for her. Whenever she opens her eyes and as if looking at me – as if saying, “what’s wrong with me mommy?”, I feel heartbroken.

I do not know what more can I do. But I will continue to monitor her.

jcat
    Participant

I’m so sorry. All I can suggest is that you take her back to the vet and ask for antibiotics in case it’s bacterial and see what he or she thinks about a feeding tube. But to be honest, it is very very hard to keep these tiny ones alive without a mum to feed them and the chances get even smaller if the rest of the litter don’t make it. It’s possible it’s fading kitten syndrome. Keep her warm and comfortable and feed her as much as she will take and don’t forget the honey trick to give her a quick burst of energy and get her blood sugars back up.

JerseyJoan

Just catching up on this thread. I’m so sorry for you and your wee one. All I can offer is comforting vibes for her, and for you too.

Thank you Jcat and Joan.

The vet told me that she was unable to give any medicine because the kitten was too light to calculate how much to administer. There are only two veterinary clinics available in my town; one belonging to the government and the other privately owned which is also the best there is. I prefer going to the latter.

Alas, my kitten did not make it. She slipped away this evening. The last time she was willing to feed was at 3 pm and the most that she would take was 0.4 cc. I dabbed some honey on her gum this morning and she seemed to like it. It sort of gave her a temporary boost of energy as she was still constantly moving around in her basket.

During her last feed, she opened one eye for the last time, turned around to face me and whimpered a soft mew. I know that she cannot see me yet but it gave me the impression that she was looking at me to tell me goodbye. That really struck a chord in me. I grew to love her so much that my heart broke to see her go 🙁 It makes me wonder if I there was anything more that I could have done for her.

For everyone’s info, mother cat is alright despite some loss of appetite. I am making sure she is well hydrated and that she eats enough.

I would like to thank all of you who have responded to my concerns. I am grateful for all your advises and helpful links on kitten care.

JerseyJoan

I’m so sorry your little angel didn’t make it. It might sound like a cliche, but you really did make her short shooting star life richer with your love and care. That must certainly be how she had the strength to say goodbye. She knew you did your best, and she knew she had to go. She has her wings now, and will watch you and if you listen closely, you might hear her purr from the meadow.
    Please give mama cat a few scritches from an admirer at TDK 🙂

Commune

I’m sorry 🙁

sooo sorry to hear HUGGGGG its tru tho, it’s good that you did your best. soemtimes it’s just out of our hands.

katzenjammer
    Participant

So very sorry! You did all that was possible and more! Purrhaps too young for a name, but I will think of your baby kit as Angel, for that is what she now is. Take good care and give Mama cat a cuddle from me, too.

jcat
    Participant

I’m so, so sorry. The odds were always heavily against your little one, up to 40% of kittens who don’t have a mum to take care of them and feed them (for whatever reason) very sadly die and the chances are higher if you have already lost others in the litter. You did the very best you could, not you, not the vet, not anyone could have done any more and all of us who have tried to bring up orphaned or abandoned kittens have lost some, we know how devastating it is. She loved you and knew you were her mummy, that much is clear, she probably could see you, if not very well, but she could certainly hear and feel you and recognise your voice and she knew that you loved her. I wish I could offer you more comfort. It could be that your mama cat knew they would not live and that is why she didn’t feed them, this is often the case, it is cruel but that is nature. Many {{{{HUGS}}}}} to you, you left no stone unturned and you cherished her for every moment she was alive.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Jcat couldn’t have said what I am feeling for you any better if I’d said it myself. I am heartbroken for you. I know the pain of losing young kittens and it is never easy but I would do it again and again just like you when you have to step in and take over for momma cat. You throw yourself into the maternal mode and get swept away with loving them with your whole heart. Bless you for your compassion, and your little Angel knew you by your touch and your love.

Moonshadow_NZ

I’m so sorry. 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.