9 day old kitten!! plz help

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 9 day old kitten!! plz help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Participant

I found this stray cat that was abandoned by its mum yesterday so I took her in… I immediately went and bought the KMR formula and took her to the vet. The vet said she was healthy and to feed her every 2 hours 2mL of the formula. I dont trust this veterinary clinic as it isnt a very good one but I was in a rush and all the good ones were fully booked so I need confirmation on whether 2mL is enough? Also in addition to that my kitten refuses to drink the formula. I feed it to her with a syringe because she 100% refuses from a bottle but with a syringe at least i can force it into her. She literally does not stop meowing and she tries to push and kick and she tries to move her head and sometimes spits out the formula. But after she’s done I make her urinate and let her bite my finger (she seems to do that a lot and cries if I dont let her?). When I try to put her to sleep after feeding she meows for about 30 minutes straight then gives up. Yesterday her eyes were still shut and ears were still folded but today her eyes opened and her ears are half lifted. How can I feed her without her resisting? could she possibly change this behaviour after a few days? (its only her second day here) and is the 2mL enough? Also she is not pooping?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Mary, it’s normal for a kitten to resist the nipple as it smells unfamiliar and is weird to them. I would switch to goat’s milk for her as it’s much cheaper and better for her. You won’t have constipation problems with her like the KMR will cause. It’s found in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery or in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed so add water 1 to 1. She probably won’t poop for a day or two since you just found her. Just keep trying to get food into her any way you can…if a syringe works then that’s what you use. You can keep trying with the nipple too. Just know that the little hole they tell you to put in the nipple won’t work. Make an X in the top so she can get milk out because she may give up trying to suck milk out of a hole that’s too small. Make sure she’s on all four feet, don’t feed her like a human baby.
    I’m going to post some links for you that will help tell you how to hand rear and also the approximate amounts a kitten her age should be getting.
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Anonymous
    Inactive

How goes it Mary? Are you and the kit getting along?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.