9 Day Old Kitten Not Defecating – Need Advice

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 9 Day Old Kitten Not Defecating – Need Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Crystal Rahn
    Participant

Some backstory: A little over a week ago, my cat Yuki had her first litter which proved to be unsuccessful with only one surviving kitten. She took great care of it for the first six days until she developed some intestinal issues and needed to be hospitalized at the veterinary clinic so of course I’m caring for the kitten myself.
    This is the first time I’ve cared for a kitten so young (the youngest I cared for was 5 weeks old) so I’m concerned about the little one not defecating after feeding it. I stimulate it before and after every meal and all I could make it do is urinate, and it urinates quite a lot. I bottle feed it with powdered KMR formula.
    I know the kitten can defecate because I’ve seen do it couple times when its mama was still around so I want to know if I should worry or if there’s anything I could do.
    Thanks in advance.

Crystal Rahn
    Participant

Update: We added a little more water to its formula and after feeding it I stimulated it again and got small smears of feces. It looked light brown and orange-ish.
    Is that normal?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m glad you and Yuki saved her one kit.

As far as the poop, that’s about right color.

Powdered KMR can cause constipation and the liquid can cause diarrhea. So in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite. When he’s about 5 weeks mix his goats’ milk with wet food.

A smidgen of mineral oil in their formula can usually help them poop. You can put a dab of Neosporin on his bum if he gets sore from stimulation. If, at any time, they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth.

Kittyzee
    Participant

PG gave you good advice Crystal. Just make sure you stimulate him AFTER feeding — 5 or 10 minutes–which seems to be better for the pooping part. That goat’s milk will work wonders if you switch to it, and you won’t have to worry about constipation again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.