9-11 Memorial day

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 9-11 Memorial day

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    brandilee
    Participant

I was at work, and throughout the morning we’re hearing news, but there was no internet access and no tv’s. Then a threat was called into our school district, prompting evacuation to the outer perimeter of the school campus (hoax). We could see the smoke and we were about 45 miles northwest of the city. (here in Jersey, it’s not New York City, just the city) I’m in a K-8 district, and were fortunate that none of our children lost a parent. However, around here, pretty much everyone knows someone who died that day. One of the strangest things was the lack of aircraft in the sky.

My brother, a retired Navy Commander, went to far too many funerals of friends and co-workers who died at the Pentagon.

A sad, sad day. I’m going to make it a point to commit a random act of kindness today.

Instinct
    Participant

I was in my drawing class. I remember very clearly because there were a few kids I was ignoring who were going on about how bad the US was and how they had no freedom and I was just about to tell them to try living in Cuba.

The radio was on NPR (as always) and just as I got ready to say something the music was interupted and they announced that a plane had hit the first tower. I asked the teacher to turn the volume up so I could hear better and that got everyone else’s attention.

I remember thinking as soon as I heard it that it was terrorism, some of my classmates insisted it had to be an accident but then they announced the second plane. Classes were cancled for the rest of the day after that

My best man at my wedding was supposed to have been in the Trade Center that morning for a meeting but it got cancled at the last minute.

Cathi in NC
    Participant

I just finished watching MSNBC also.

I’m still very upset over what happened 6 years ago.

I was still at home and my husband at the time ran up the stairs to tell me that a smal plane hit the World Trade Center. I stayed glued to the TV for the most of the morning. Seen the 2nd plane hit live on TV.

I tried so many times that day to get in touch with my best friend who worked 1 day a week on the 108 floor for the Port Authority of NY/NJ. Thank GOD she was there every Wednesday, so she wasn’t anywhere near the City when this all happened. I couldn’t get in touch with her until Thursday, though.

I left right before Tower 1 collapsed because I needed to see the Towers with my own eyes, only about 7 blocks from my house. I lived in Woodbridge, NJ very close to the NJ Turnpike. They looked like 2 cigarettes smoking. I got so sick at what I seen, I couldn’t wait to get home. One minute, there were 2 Towers, the next, one was gone.

I still can’t believe that the Pentagon or Twin Towers were hit. I’m still in shock.

Those people on Flight 93 were definitely heros in my eyes. They prevented a 4th terroristic act from happening that day.

9-11-2001 had to be the saddest day of my life.

I was at work. I hadn’t yet turned on my radio and gotten into the groove of the day. I worked in the operations department of a bank at the time. One of my co-workers walked in and told me to turn to a local radio station that we usually listened to in the morning. He had heard about the first plane on his way into work. I set my little clock radio on the cubicle wall and turned it as loud as it would go. Time stopped. Being in Oklahoma, this all sounded all too familiar. I don’t remember who brought in the television, but they set it up in the cubicle across from mine. The second plane hit just as we turned it on. Everyone huddled into my 4 x 4 space in silence. The next sound any of us made was gasp when the first tower collapsed. We watched the events unfold and replay. All of us in a fog. Slowly everyone began to migrate back to their respective desks. Banking industry messages were coming in like crazy as they shut down the fed. Most were ignored for the moment. All of us went to our phones and tried to contact our loved ones. Few were actually in immediate danger, but I think we all just needed to hear their voices. Eventually we shifted to autopilot to take care of the necessary business needs. We didn’t say anything to each other for a while. It was really too much for words.

No one had to ask, we knew what we could do. We put together care packages and prayed. Oklahoma City and New York City have never been closer.

Elene_YorkPA_7/21
    Participant

My clock radio went off and the first thing I heard was that a plane had his one of the towers. I jumped out of bed and ran to switch on the TV. Within a minute or so, I saw the other plane hit. I woke up my son and we both watched in horror. He had to leave for a dentist appointment, but it was my day off so I stayed glued to the TV. I know everyone was as horrified as I, wished then that it was a work day so I could share the emotions I was feeling with my coworkers. I was a designer with Ethan Allen and we had many TVs scattered about the store in room settings so I knew everyone was seeing what I was seeing and I was missing the hugs and emotional sharing. It was just the most awful day of my life, before that I would have said the assassination of JFK. I am not watching the TV today, just can’t stand bringing it back that close.

Vicki
    Participant

I had spent the night at a coworker’s place at the time. I awoke the next morning to catch a little news, maybe some weather, and play a video game before my coworker and I had to go to work. When the first plane crashed at the World Trade Center I figured it was a malfunction of the plane; when the second plane hit, I got scared. When the third plane hit the Pentagon I ducked and covered my head, thinking World War III had started. At the same time that I was scared that the world was going to end, it also seemed unreal, like I was watching one of those action movies where Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwarzenegger saves the world from Northern European bad guys. I didn’t think I’d be alive six years later to tell what surreal memories I have of September 11, 2001. Needless to say, no one worked that day and Cleveland, normally at a hustling pace, felt like a ghost town that day.

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

I was at work too, and with the time difference, it was just after lunch. Someone said they’d heard a plan had crashed into the WTC – and we all assumed it was a light aircraft. Then the reports got worse and worse, and I went home and watched the news for the rest of the night, quite literally unable to tear my eyes away from the horrors happening in the States.

They say it was the day the world changed – they weren’t wrong.

God bles those we lost and those who still grieve.

Vicki
    Participant

Hey, guys, follow me into the TDK Chapel.

kathyanne11/13
    Participant

this was a terrible day for our country not only pray the familes of 9/11 but also those of the families who have lost loved ones fighting the war on terror

Lynn from PA 6/8
    Participant

I was at work and a co-worker had a radio on and told me about the 1st tower. I had a hand held tv that I turned on in time to see the plane hit the 2nd tower. As news of the Pentagon and the plane in PA came about the shop was abuzz with disbelief and horror. We stayed close to those we worked with and called home, children, parents and anyone else we could think of just to make ourselves believed that this was really happening. The bosses sent us home, to be with loved ones and just recover from the shock. It’s a day I will never forget for as long as I live.

I personally didn’t know of anyone who passed in this senseless act of violence. If any of you did, my deepest condolences. Please to this day, stay alert, be aware of anything odd happening around you. I truly believe that this isn’t over. Stay well, stay safe. God Bless you all. Lynn

KathyfromVA
    Participant

I was working in a high school cafeteria at the time and had a radio on to my favorite station, who’s morning show people were on vacation at the time so they had pretaped the entire weeks show, well when I heard the news reports coming in I thought it was something they had done as a joke, ya know, kinda like “the war of the worlds”, well when other staff came to the cafeteria asking if we had heard what was happening I knew it was not a joke. We went to the exercise room right next to the kitchen and watched in horror as the second plane hit the towers, and then the reports of the pentagon and Flight 93 came across and we knew the world had changed in that little bit of time.

Prayers and white light to those lost, their family and friends,and to the world in general.

I shared thoughts about 9/11 in my blog. Feel free to read it.

http://jenniferhast.blogspot.com/2007/09/thinking-about-today_11.html

Thank you Dee for posting the great article that I referenced

KYKAT 12 23
    Participant

I was in Dallas taking classes at a software company that week. I had just gotten in the car when the radio station interrupted a song to say a plane had hit the WTC. I was a travel agent at that time and after I called my husband, I called the agency where I worked, Told them to get everyone to the conference room and turn on the TV. I knew that either Air Traffic Control had been sabotaged or a plane hijacked. I had approximately 500 clients in NYC for market week. (I did travel for a MAJOR department store chain and all the buyers, product developers and such were there) Then the second plane hit. As I drove toward the software company in North Dallas, I passed a High School where some of the kids had left class to gather at the flag pole. They were there to pray. As I lifted my prayers with theirs the tears began to fall in ernest. When I got to the software company the only station they could get a signal on was a spanish language station. Their cameras focused on the people jumping out of the towers and stayed on them until they hit the ground. I will NEVER get that image out of my mind. One man was translating for the rest of us there who didn’t speak Spanish. When the towers fell, I could feel the weight of those lives lost and families shattered. I didn’t know anyone there and didn’t have anyone I could ask for a hug or to pray with me. I have never felt so alone in my life. Fortunately I was staying with a niece who lives in Dallas so that afternoon after my class, (Yes the went ahead with class) I did have someone to hug, pray with, try to donate blood with, and watch the continuing coverage with. Prayers for those who lost family and firends on that day and for those whose hearts broke when the towers fell.

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

Good blog Meezer Mamma, it’s all too easy to slip back into bad habits and forget how great us humans can be when we work together for the greater good.

I was NOT going to come here. I was NOT going to be reminded, but here I am reading all the blogs, with the tears that never end for that day.

My heart goes out to the victims and families of that horrible day.

I was on my way to work that morning, when the news came. I stopped at my daughters work to bring her her cell phone which she had forgotten, and watch as the second plane hit the second tower.

By the time I got to work I was shaking, and we had a TV available to us. We watched in horror as the towers collapsed and the Pentagon was hit.

I know for myself, and my co-workers, we were in shock. I shook for days afterward, and to this day, when I think about that day (as I am now) the shaking starts all over.

I don’t think the greiving will ever cease in my lifetime.

MagicCat52
    Participant

I want to say:

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

LET FREEDOM RING!!!!

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

and last but not lease God Bless all the families who lost loved ones in the 9/11 tragity

Cathi in NC
    Participant

I want to say THANK YOU to Kittenmaster for letting us talk about September 11, 2001 on TDK Chat. Just thinking about all the lost of life that day upsets me. My heart goes out to everyone of the families that were touched by 9-11-2001. I know it makes me feel better that there are still people out there with the same memories as me. Since this is a very sore subject for me, I appreciate talking about it. This was the 1st year I was about to “vent” some. Maybe it won’t be such a touchy subject any longer.

Thank you again, Kittenmaster.

I agree, MagicCat52,

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

LET FREEDOM RING!

I WILL NEVER FORGET!

3kits staff
    Participant

Hi all! I’m Dorie and I live on Long Island NY(All My life) and unfortunatly I remember too well September 11,2001. I started to write this earlier but, the tears got so bad I had to stop!

The morning that this happened I was cleaning a house I did every week( I was a house cleaner) I went outside to shake a rug when a neighbor saw me and asked had I heard that a plane had hit one of the towers, I went inside and turned on the TV and watched in horror as the second plane hit! Chills went through my body because the day before I was at the hotdog cart in front of the towers with my neice, visiting my brother who was in ST Vincent’s hospital, several blocks away. I wanted to call my whole family! I called my oldest 2 children who where home and woke them up and said put on the TV, With that the towers started to fall, The fear that went through me. I pray I never feel again. The Next thing that went through my mind was how was my brother!!! With that there was a knock on the door. It was the lawn mower Man. He asked If he could see the TV, I let him in and we both stood with tears in our eyes, looked at each other and just hugged ( I had only met this man once before)

we were scared!! I tried to call the hospital but all lines in NY were out or overrun. I wrote a letter to the woman that I was cleaning for and ran home I needed my kids. I hugged them and they hugged me all of us with tears in our eyes. My youngest was in school and the school was in lockdown, I was really scared! I was home about 10 minutes when a friend called me her cousin worked at the towers, She was crying and I drove over there to calm her down!! As I was there My cell phone rang and it was the pastor of my church we had several people from our church who also worked in the towers, He asked if I could come to the church to help as the families were meeting there till we had words about the family members!! I calmed my friend down and we went to the church! (She is jewish, and I didn’t want to leave her alone, I am a presbyterian) My church welcomed her and her family with open arms. I will tell you these were the hardest 48 hours of my life! I held Children crying for there parents I held Husband and wives, Mothers Fathers, Cousins and Friends. I spent time At stores buying things that the workers needed and was amazed at the love fellow New yorkers had for each other. I found out later that day that my brother was Ok it was a relief for me but the sorrow I saw in everyones faces and the fear.

The weeks after I spent waiting with family members for news! We all knew in our hearts these people were gone but that was not spoken we all prayed that there was a pocket that Many lives were saved! I attended more funerals and memorials than I had in my life time. My 6 yr old had funeral clothes?

I will never forget 9-11-01! The families that were torn apart by selfish human beings! My anger gets worse as the years go by! And I ask God Why and in the same breath I put it in his hands for him to handle it!

I loving memory of all who lost there lives!

Peace My friends

Dorie

KathyfromVA
    Participant

Hi Dorie,

There were, and are still, all kinds of heros from that terribly, awful day. I feel we are all blessed to know that these heros come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, religions, …I think you know where I’m going with this. You are counted among those heros, and I am glad to know you. It took all kinds to come together to help those who could not help themselves and your help and kindness will never be forgotten by all those you touched. You certainly have a reserved place in paradise.

Kathy

That brought tears to my eyes Dorie! Thank you for sharing

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.