7 week old kitten still won't wean!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 7 week old kitten still won't wean!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Taylor
    Participant

My kitten is now 6 1/2 – 7 weeks old. I’ve had him since he was almost two weeks old. He was found with out siblings so all he has to show him the ropes is my older cat that wants nothing to do with the kitten! I’ve been trying to get him off the bottle for a week or 2 now. He won’t lick anything up! He won’t drink water out of a dish or lick the slurry (kitten wet food/KMR formula mixed together) off my finger or a dish. He will clean himself when it’s on him but that’s it. I’ve tried getting him to lick the food off my fingers, a dish, himself, I’ve tried putting on the side of his mouth to get him to eat and nothing will entice him to eat unless it’s the bottle! Like I said he won’t even try water. He has both food and water always excessible but still nothing. What do I do with such a stubborn kitten?

Kittyzee
    Participant

He’s just not ready to wean yet…but as long as he’s getting the proper nutrition, most cats aren’t fully weaned until 8 to 10 weeks, but that is a generalization. Put some wet food in with his formula to form a runny gruel, cut the end of the nipple off and feed it to him that way. It’s a great way for him to get used to the taste of something different, and he gets more nutrition than just formula.

Taylor
    Participant

Okay! Thanks. He is already on gruel right now. This is my first bottle fed kitten and people keep telling me different things! I just want to make sure he is getting all the food he needs!

Taylor
    Participant

Should I still mix the KMR formula in or is Royal Canin Babycat and water sufficient?

Kittyzee
    Participant

I would mix the KMR formula in, just for the extra nutrition and hydration. By mixing it in I mean either the liquid, or the powder mixed with water in with the food. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.