6 week old kitten issues

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6 week old kitten issues

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lockythecat
    Participant

So I found a kitten inside an engine compartment in a parking garage. The lady whose car it was says she has no idea how it got there. So I took her (locky) to the vet and got worm medicine, flea protection, and said she is negative for FIV and feline leukemia. Report said she looked like a healthy kitten that was around 6 weeks old. I brought her home and she was very playful chasing balls around and prowling for a little feather on a stick toy. I have been giving her wet cat food as well as keeping a bowl of dry kitten food nearby as well. Recently she has seen not playful at all and has been sleeping the majority of the last day and a half. I’m not sure if she could possibly be sick or she is just somewhat sad and adjusting to her new life. She is still pooping and purring when she lays on me. I just thought it was very odd she has lost interest in playing recently and has been sleeping a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I might take her to the vet this week when they open back up. Thanks in advance!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Glad you decided to rescue this little kitten, she probably wouldn’t have survived without your help!

Sounds like she is doing fine, but I understand your worry. Since she is still very young and most kittens aren’t fully weaned until around 8 to 10 weeks, you can get some goat’s milk to supplement her diet. You can get fresh in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery, or in the baking aisle in cans (it’s condensed so add water 1 to 1) or powdered (which I prefer) and just add water according to directions. I mix up about a cup at a time and keep it stored in the refrigerator. Put a little in a saucer and warm in the microwave for about 10 seconds to take off the chill. Give it to her that way or pour a little over her wet food. It will give her added probiotics and hydration too.

I don’t know what could be making her not as active. You could call the vet and ask them what they think. If she is pooping and peeing and eating, I can’t think what it could be. If, after the worm medication she wasn’t pooping, I would be concerned that she had a large worm burden and maybe had an obstruction. Her eyes are clear, no runny nose and eyes and sneezing, then she could just be missing her littermates. Just give her extra attention, pets, and chin scritches. Make sure when she uses the litterbox that she doesn’t injest the litter if you are using clumping litter, as some kittens tend to eat it and will get a blockage from it. Keep us posted on your girl!

Lockythecat
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! I called the vet and they didn’t seem worried about it since everything else with her seems to be normal. I guess I was just a worried kitty dad! Haha

Lockythecat
    Participant

Just wanted to give an update and say she is doing very well and being playful as ever! :):)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.