6 week old kitten has diarrhea

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6 week old kitten has diarrhea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

So I took in a kitten that I believe to be around 5-6 weeks old (he is very active and playful, has some molars coming in and uses litter box on his own but his eyes are still that baby blue color). I’ve had him for almost two weeks now and he was fine up until yesterday afternoon when he started getting diarrhea. He doesn’t seem to be lethargic or anything, so I was thinking that it might be his diet? Last week I had started introducing him to wet food mashed up in his formula and he was good with that, but when I switched to the KMR second step he started having issues. I stopped feeding him the wet food and called a vet to see what to do (I do not currently have the money to take him in for a vist, but am saving up to do so soon) and he said to try mixing cooked white rice with his formula to settle his stomach but it doesn’t seem to be working. Is this just something he will have to go through while he adjusts to the new formula? If so, how long does that last? And if not, is there anything else I can give him to help? Thanks!!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yes, if he is 5 to 6 weeks old, he doesn’t need KMR second step. I think this is an advertising ploy on their part to get you to buy more KMR. My opinion only here. You can get some goat’s milk and either mix it with his food, or give it to him in a saucer in addition to the wet food. It’s found in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery, or in the baking aisle in cans and powder. The canned is condensed, so add water 1 to 1. Whenever you change diet, it usually reflects in the poop. He probably has worms also, most kittens do, so when you take him back to the vet, they can give him some worming medication at that time. It doesn’t sound like it’s affecting him greatly, but if it should get worse, make sure to call the vet and ask for advice. You can also add a little canned pumpkin (pumpkin only no spices added) to his wet food to add fiber and help with the diarrhea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to TDKland. We’re the furriest forum around. ^-^

KMR often causes diarrhea and/or constipation (depending on formula type). TDKers swear by Goats’ milk and how it works for their kits. As KZ said, just mix up for him and hopefully, he’ll scarf it down.

Tiffany
    Participant

Thank you for the advice. I switched him to goats milk and he seems to be doing a lot better! I took him to the vet today and they said that he’s in great health, so it must have just been the kmr.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.