6 week old kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 6 week old kitten

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sumz.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sumz
    Participant

So, 3 days ago a mother cat abandoned her 4 kittens. She wasn’t coming back so they had to be adopted.
    My mum fell in love with one of the kittens and convinced my dad to let us keep it. The vet checked it and he’s healthy and around 6 weeks.
    Now there’s one problem. My dad doesn’t want it to live in the house. For the first 3 days he stayed in the scullery and slept in a crate. My parents are insisting that you can keep them outside. We do have an outhouse (lounge, bathroom, bedroom) where he can stay.
    The thing is i cant hear him from the house so if he was crying I wouldn’t know. And I’m worried about him being away from us.
    Obviously we all do play with him alot.

Please don’t suggest convincing my parents to let him stay in the house because it won’t work.
    I want any advice anyone has. Anything will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Suzy,

I just saw your post and apologize for not answering sooner.

A kitten is like a baby and they need protection, food, water, etc. If your dad refuses to let the kitten inside then I can/will only recommend finding this wee kit a home where it will be safe and care for. I can tell you really love this wee kit but you have look to it’s welfare. Love and play for a 6 week old kit isn’t enough.

PG

katzenjammer
    Participant

100% agree with PG. It is sad that while you and Mum want to keep the kit, Dad is not amenable, but the best thing to do to ensure the kit’s well-being is to find it a good home.

I will add that when I lived at home there was no way that either of my parents would have allowed pets in the house. Eventually I moved out and adopted a cat. So hopefully one day the decision will be yours.

Sumz
    Participant

I probably should’ve phrased this better or explained myself better.
    So right now I’ve explained to him that a kitten can’t be outside by itself so he’s living inside of course. He wants it to be an ‘outdoor cat’ once it can be outside. I’m not sure if by the time it’s bigger he’ll change his mind or stick to his previous decision.
    His main worry is the cat destroying his furniture and biting his feet which i have explained to him is something you can train them not to do.

However I have told him that if he makes a decision wherein it compromises on the kittens safety and well-being I’d find it a better home, one where it can get what it needs.

I have to add that when I first got it I never expected him to even play with it but it seems as though everyone’s just taken to it and kitten gets attention from every member of my family.

It’s just the fact that when it’s older he wants it to live outside that is worrying me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.