6 day old kits with infected umbilical

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6 day old kits with infected umbilical

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steven
    Participant

Sorry for posting so much, but the kits umbilicals fell off two days ago and now they look like they have pus in the stump. We are taking them to the vet tomorrow,(we have come to far for them to die now) and I was just wondering if anyone new if this is fatal and treatable. I would also like to know if there is anything we can do up until we get them to the vet tomorrow.

Kittyzee
    Participant

I would wash the area gently with anti bacterial soap and cleanse with alcohol (this might sting) or hydrogen peroxide. If you have a betadine wash you could swab on there with a cotton ball, that would be ideal. I mentioned the others because most people don’t have betadine.

Then you could put neosporin ointment on after cleansing. I would be concerned if the infection has traveled inward, or just the outside area where the cord has fallen off is infected. Keeping it clean and dry is crucial to prevent the growth of bacteria. It’s good you are taking them to the vet so that the area can be checked and treated and antibiotics prescribed if necessary.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.