6-8 week old kitten

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 6-8 week old kitten

Tagged: ,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Abigail
    Participant

Hello!

I’m finding myself to be a cat lover. We recently purchased a calico who is 9 months old . Saturday, we were in Petsmart and some kids were running around with a kitten trying to give it away. We finally agreed to take him (he was too cute!). Checkers (tuxedo kitten)seems to be adjusting well with Rainbow (calico). I took him to Banfield for a free physical exam, had recieved a coupon for it. The vet and I were discussing his habits and such, to which I made a comment about his ferocious appetite. He in return said it was nothing but worms in his tummy and that was all we were feeding – were the worms, not the kitten. He weighs 2.1 pounds I don’t know how much he weighed Saturday, but when I picked him up this morning, I could tell he had grown. I don’t really have any intentions of going back there, plan on finding a local vet clinic to go to. Mostly took him there to confirm he was a boy and find out his age. He is one crazy fast furball and keeps Rainbow running 🙂

Starfish
    Participant

Congrats on the kittens! I always say 2 is better than 1, because you’re giving each cat a friend/ playmate/ snuggle buddy for life. Here’s to many wonderful years you’ll have with your pair!

BTW, did you get the worms taken care of at the vet appt.? Worms are common to kittens and easily gotten rid of with meds, but if you don’t get rid of them they’ll spread to Rainbow and possibly even to you. Eww!

Abigail
    Participant

Thank you. I do plan on letting another vet look him over and get his rabies shot. But, I’m not one hundred percent positive that I believed everything I was told at Banfield. Since it was a free appt, they tried everything in their power to convince me to spend money and get on their wellness plan so I could bring him in everyday if I wanted (little insane!). When I looked over his paperwork the vet gave me, their were no abnormalties listed for his tummy/intestines, just discharge/dirt from his ear.

jcat
    Participant

Welcome to TDK, Checkers looks like a little sweetie! Most kittens have worms unless their mums were wormed consistently, but he will need kitty disease shots apart from his rabies one, so just discuss it all with the vet when you go for them.

Abigail
    Participant

He is one crazy kitten. We found him a couple of minutes ago face-planted in my husbands’s plate eating his food. Needless to say, as soon as I saw that, he was removed quickly. Hopefully he can learn like Rainbow to not dive into people’s plates.

Thanks Jcat, I talked with someone that goes to a place that gives shots pretty cheap (and right now our bank account is what’s holding us back). The main thing I’m concerned getting is his rabies shot right now because it’s required by law in MS. I am concerned about the worms also, is that a shot or meds? Just curious.

AV
    Participant

Hello Abigail… you and I have alot in common!… my baby (5 yrs old) is Abbigale Violet (I’m known as AV)…. my girl is a Siamese, and is my kittysoulmate!…..

.. Welcome to TDK and we look forward to getting to know you and your Abigail!

Skyron
    Participant

worm medication is uaually a tablet. I buy mine from my vet, and usually if its a new kitten I worm them once, and then again in 6 weeks time, just to be sure I got ’em all. Worm pills really arent that expensive, and I usually just walk in at the reception desk and ask for it. Most vets sell stuff like dewormers & flea treatments over the counter. If they dont, i usually walk away, cause to me that signals that they’re just out to make money.

Skyron
    Participant
    Skyron
    Participant

sorry about the double post . . .

ladysky61
    Participant

The kitten needs to be at least 12 weeks for the Rabies shot, at least that’s what my vet said. Also they need a stool sample to test for worms, so if you did furnish that then I guess that the vet just assumed that was the case. The pet store where my fiance works routinely deworms the puppies and kittens it gets in. It’s squirt this solution in their mouth. They sell it at the pet store. My vet gave my kitten the deworming at her first visit and then we had her poop tested a few weeks later and it was negative.

Also, 2lbs is a healthy weight for a kitten. That’s what my kitten weighted at her first vet visit at 7 weeks.

Abigail
    Participant

Thanks for the headups Skyron.

No, I didn’t take in a stool sample to be tested. Didn’t know how they tested it to be honest. That’s good to know next time I take him in for a check-up 🙂

I did read around online for ideal weight for kittens, so when they told me his weight, I knew he is doing ok. Like I said, his appetite is ferocious! Right now the two of them are playing hide and seek under our couch (at least that’s what it looks like). Pretty entertaining to watch.

In MS they start giving the rabies shot as young as 8 weeks – required by law.

I’ll be going back to the pet store to pick up more canned food, so I’ll be sure to look around.

jeanjellibean20
    Participant

Abigail I couldn’t find the post about your pictures, but you didn’t mean that as a putdown for me did you?

The hmmm cut and paste? I hope not.

Abigail
    Participant

Put down? By no means. Sorry if it seemed that way! I was about to walk out the door so I my answer was rushed. It seems it wouldn’t work because it was restricted to friends only. I opened it to everyone. It should work now. *crosses fingers*

jeanjellibean20
    Participant

Ok I feel better now. I guess I was on the defensive because I am not very computer savvy. Everyone else probably knew cut and paste. Sorry if I was a little touchy.

Abigail
    Participant

Don’t worry about it. Did the link work at all? Let me know..

jeanjellibean20
    Participant

I will let you know when I find it again! LOL

Abigail
    Participant
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.